Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ACTRIMS keynote address on Ocrevus (ocrelizumab), the first B-cell therapy

Distinguished Community Member

I give a sub-q shot 3 times a week. Every other week, Peter gives them in sites that I can't see. It works for me. I am a Copaxone "responder."

It is not tied to any particular feelings. Now that I take time to think about it, my thoughts are of gratitude that it exists and that I have access to it.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't you think the meds MSers take are a constant reminder that we are sick.
    Not so for me because the meds I take help me to keep farming. So I am thinking about that
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Having limitations due to MS is a constant reminder to me that I have MS.
    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 03-08-2017 at 06:53 PM.

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Wonder why THIS wasn't presented at ACTRIMS?

http://globalnews.ca/news/3295904/co...anadian-study/

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know if you've been following the CCSVI news but CCSVI has been shown to be ineffective in study after study.

This is summarized in this transcript of a panel discussion from the MS International Federation:

https://www.msif.org/research/progre...ar-transcript/
    I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.
    --Robert Benchley

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

This study (that I linked to) was touted for so long as bringing a definitive answer to the question of whether CCSVI is related to MS.

I didn't even hear about the results, a friend sent me a French newspaper report that I had to translate to read what it said. I had to Google to find an English link to the story to bring it here.

This certainly didn't make the news media as a definitive answer, which it should, given the initial hype and how it continues, to some degree. I think this ws the first large double blinded study completed, with follow up assessment. I would have thought it would have been more newsworthy. I'd have thought it would have been presented at an MS conference too.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The paper was presented at another conference:

The findings from the $5.4-million study, jointly funded by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the MS Society of Canada, and the provinces of British Columbia, Manitoba and Quebec, were presented today at the Society for Interventional Radiology’s annual scientific meeting in Washington, D.C. The researchers are now preparing an article to be published in a peer-reviewed journal.
    It's possible that a paper based on this study will be presented at the upcoming AAN conference in April. I believe that the AAN conference is more important than ACTRIMS in terms of reaching a wider audience.
    I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.
    --Robert Benchley

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    The paper was presented at another conference:

It's possible that a paper based on this study will be presented at the upcoming AAN conference in April. I believe that the AAN conference is more important than ACTRIMS in terms of reaching a wider audience.
    Your article refers to the same presentation that my newspaper article referred to:

"Traboulsee’s team presented their findings Wednesday at the Society for Interventional Radiology’s annual meeting in Washington. They say their next steps are to publish their findings."

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    Your article refers to the same presentation that my newspaper article referred to:

"Traboulsee’s team presented their findings Wednesday at the Society for Interventional Radiology’s annual meeting in Washington. They say their next steps are to publish their findings."
    That was my point but I guess I didn't make it clear. If it was just presented at one conference, the chances are that it wouldn't turn up at another conference. There are probably efforts at avoiding duplication--?

Also, since it's not "breaking news," maybe the ACTRIMS people opted not to include it. The article in your link includes a link to this 2013 study, for instance:

http://globalnews.ca/news/891996/res...nis-ms-theory/

The CCSVI procedure was shown to be ineffective, sometimes even harmful, a couple of years ago in spite of the enthusiasm about it.

FYI, there's a PubMed abstract for the article you're referring to (March 9, 2017) that might be of interest:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28270250
    Last edited by agate; 03-09-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    --Robert Benchley

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    That was my point but I guess I didn't make it clear. If it was just presented at one conference, the chances are that it wouldn't turn up at another conference. There are probably efforts at avoiding duplication--?

Also, since it's not "breaking news," maybe the ACTRIMS people opted not to include it. The article in your link includes a link to this 2013 study, for instance:

http://globalnews.ca/news/891996/res...nis-ms-theory/

The CCSVI procedure was shown to be ineffective, sometimes even harmful, a couple of years ago in spite of the enthusiasm about it.

FYI, there's a PubMed abstract for the article you're referring to (March 9, 2017) that might be of interest:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28270250
    My point was that it was presented at an interventional radiologist conference and not MS one.

The earlier study just referred to whether blood flow was impaired (it was found not to be), it wasn't an actual blinded study of the procedure.

I'll be interested in how all those who promoted and supported this are taking the news. A "flawed" study? I seem to recall they didn't think the veins were being scanned properly when the earlier results found no difference in our veins to nonMSers.

It's very sad considering some MSers died as a result of the procedure, others spent tens of thousands of dollars.

ETA -- no, that registry, the last link, was not from this study, but a separate patient reported outcomes database set up for those who had had the treatment done elsewhere, outside of Canada.
    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 03-09-2017 at 02:59 PM.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast