Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dry mouth and no taste?

Community Member

Default dry mouth and no taste?

Hello everyone,

It seems like I only post when I have a question or a problem. Never any happy posts, sorry. I need your help again.
    I cannot taste anything and my mouth is really dry.
    I put an alternating air mattress on my bed, does anyone have any tips on how to get on and off with with the use of a slide board.

Thanks,
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

I had a period of time when I couldn't taste anything, but I didn't have dry mouth at that time.

I've never used a slide board, so I'm no help in that area either.

Sorry I wasn't any help for you. Maybe someone else here will be of more help.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Jan,
    I've never tried an air mattress and so can't help on that but maybe someone else can.

I'd be concerned about losing my sense of taste unless you have chronic sinus problems or some other condition where that happens sometimes? If it's been going on for a while, I'd check with a doctor. But maybe you've done that?

Dry mouth is an issue I do know something about. It can be caused by some medicines you're taking, or by mouth-breathing--or just by getting older. There are some products that do a pretty good job as oral moisturizers--some are sprays, but there are gels and lozenges and special mouth rinses and toothpastes. I've used all of them.

My dry mouth problem went on for about 15 years, and then suddenly it got better. I have no idea why!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi Jan,
    I've never tried an air mattress and so can't help on that but maybe someone else can.

I'd be concerned about losing my sense of taste unless you have chronic sinus problems or some other condition where that happens sometimes? If it's been going on for a while, I'd check with a doctor. But maybe you've done that?

Dry mouth is an issue I do know something about. It can be caused by some medicines you're taking, or by mouth-breathing--or just by getting older. There are some products that do a pretty good job as oral moisturizers--some are sprays, but there are gels and lozenges and special mouth rinses and toothpastes. I've used all of them.

My dry mouth problem went on for about 15 years, and then suddenly it got better. I have no idea why!
    Hi,
    The dry mouth is something I get from the medication I take to to control bladder. As someone said it is often caused by medication. It causes other problems for your health. But it is easy to control with Biotene. You just swish the Biotene around for 30 seconds. It really works.

Medicines also affect your taste buds. Lately my husband has been getting a metallic taste from food. 🤐
    Last edited by Lazarus; 03-05-2017 at 04:42 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Community Member

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi,
    The dry mouth is something I get from the medication I take to to control bladder. As someone said it is often caused by medication. It causes other problems for your health. But it is easy to control with Biotene. You just swish the Biotene around for 30 seconds. It really works.

Medicines also affect your taste buds. Lately my husband has been getting a metallic taste from food. 蘿
    Thanks so much, I am seeing a Doc for sinus issue and I do take medications that can be the problem.
    Thanks again for your input, 20 years of MS it goes on and on.
    Jan
    "never let it be too late"

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I had dry mouth for about a year. I used to chew sugarless gum a few minutes at a pop and it would help a lot for a few hours.

I used to get metallic taste but not from meds. It would last a few days. I just figured it was a weird MS thing.

Boston/Maine, no worries about only coming with questions, eventually you might enjoy coming here for support too.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've had my dry mouth problems mainly at night, waking up several times a night sometimes with a dry mouth. I developed a habit of keeping a bottle of water by my bedside so I don't have to get up out of bed. At bedtime I fill the bottle with ice cubes and put the lid on it so the water will still be cool in the middle of the night.

No need to apologize for not posting happy posts! A chance to ask questions or just grouse around is one of the reasons this place is here. "Still here after all these years." I forget how many years this board has been here but it's at least 16.

There are people who drift in and out, some coming back every few years, others every few months or weeks, and then there are those of us who hang around here more often. Whatever works best for you!

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Smile

And there are some like me, they can't get rid of no matter what.

Does your air mattress inflate and deflate by a remote control? If so, it seems it would be easier to inflate it to it's maximum, making the mattress really firm, and then make your transfer.

Just guessing at this, but hope it could help.
    Roswell was a gift.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Community Member

The air mattress has air moving through it all the time, I got it because of bed sores, and its has helped !!!

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Jan, I had no idea there was such a thing. Sleeping on moving air sounds like a great idea.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast