Thread: Stanley Elkin, writer with MS

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Stanley Elkin, writer with MS

I've never read anything by Stanley Elkin but have heard about him. The New York Times Book Review reviewed a reissue of one of his books (he died in 1995), with mention of the MS. Is anyone here familiar with his work?

Throughout the pieces here, he takes the reader deep into, for instance, the myriad problems arising from multiple sclerosis (a limp, a cane, a wheelchair, grab bars in the shower), which take up the greater part of the lengthy “An American in California,” ostensibly a travelogue.
    Link to the review (February 12):

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/b...line&te=1&_r=0

I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.
    --Robert Benchley

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

No, but I plan to check out his books wished I retire in a few weeks.

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

My library has 4 of his books as ebooks that I cannot check out at this moment because my library number seems to be invalid. I guess I'll try to hit the library sometime in the near future.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I looked at reviews on amazon. Sounds like a slog to get through his books. Just like it's a slog to get through life, with MS

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I haven't read anything by him. His books didn't appeal to me either but it's interesting that he became successful as a writer in spite of the MS. I have an impression his books don't deal with MS but I could be wrong.
    I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.
    --Robert Benchley

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"