Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: OT March Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, yes, smallpox vaccinations! We had to line up for them in first grade. My scar is on my left arm.

Howie, is there a spray foam for mice? I recall using steel wool. Not the kind with soap in it but what I think is called industrial steel wool. I keep some of it on hand. You can stuff it in under the baseboards or wherever there are holes.

So Seven got herself a mouse just after Sam did? You do know what that makes Seven, don't you?

A copycat!!

I used to spackle up the holes and cracks where the wall or baseboard meets the floor and there's often a crack where mice and bugs can enter. I've done this spackling routine in I don't know how many different places. The spackle has a way of shrinking and you have to redo it a few days later. Time passes and it sometimes cracks but usually it holds for years.

Virginia, some years ago a neighbor woman called me over to look at something involving her stove, and I found a mousetrap underneath the stove--with a dead mouse in it. I disposed of it for her but I'm sure I didn't flush it. I probably wrapped it in paper and tossed it with the trash. Not a very elegant funeral but the poor thing was beyond caring.

The woman hated and feared cats or I'd have recommended one. Talk about a better mousetrap.
    Last edited by agate; 03-01-2017 at 11:13 PM.
    There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Agate, they make a spray foam that hardens after it dries and becomes solid. I've used it to seal any cracks where air might get in. It made a difference in how warm it stays inside.

Now whether it keeps mice out is still to be seen. For all I know it's cheese flavored and all eaten by now.

Oh, have I mentioned, TOMORROW IS PAYDAY!!!

I went to CVS earlier to take a script the doctor gave me, nothing new, just one the refills had run out. I also checked on another to make sure it was being refilled, because TOMORROW IS PAYDAY!!!

I have everything set. Bills waiting for stamps which is at the top on my shopping list. I should be back from the store in time to stamp everything, and drop them in the mail before the mail runs.

I am about as close to the post office as I am the store. It's like a small circle on a map of every place I have to go. Bank, store, dump, post office, and home. I just hope those mice didn't find my map.

Seriously, I've never had mice before. Something has changed. The girls are doing a good job, but that's a job I want them to retire from pretty soon for lack of prey.

Everyone have a great day before PAYDAY!!!

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'd say the girls are doing a truly great job. Haven't there been reports of each of them catching at least one mouse recently?

But you might as well make their life easier. After all they didn't sign on as working girls, and they're used to putting their paws up and relaxing for much of the time.

Hope the foam works!

Do they still make mousetraps that spring a metal gadget on the mouse as it goes for the cheese? I don't know how many of those traps I found with the cheese gone and no mouse....
    --Jane Austen, Emma

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

Of course they are "working girls", after all, this is a "cat house".

And I would use those traps you are talking about, but setting them scares me.
    Last edited by Howie; 03-02-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Me too Howie - I have never set one in my life!
    Virginia

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Howie,

I might have missed your follow up, I think you said you could check your account end of the month - were you hacked after all?

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

Just a minute Suze, I've almost got this trap set. I've got the cheese on it, and mashed the cheese on it so it can't be gently lifted off, now just pull that main piece back......easy....and let it slip gently into the trigger piece........and SNAP ARGH...MY FINGER!!!!

I'll check the mail on my way to the doctor.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) When I got married in 1959 our first apartment had mice. I was terrified of them. The neighbor told me to get an empty bread wrapper and set the trap with a slice of bread and place it in the bread wrapper. I caught quite a few and I just tied the wrapper shut and put them in the garbage.

A few months later we moved into our first tiny house and no mice! Jeanie :)

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

That is so clever, Jeanie! And you wouldn't have to deal with their little furry bodies.

That's the creepy part. They are so much like newborn kittens that you feel sorry for them.

Howie, I just had an e-mail from Norton/Symantec because I have Norton Antivirus, which I renew every year. They're telling me I can have free identity-theft protection if I want. But there is tiny faint print saying that the free version doesn't protect against everything.

I tried to sign up but they insist on my complete Social Security number. I refuse to give it out. If they can't be happy with xxx-xx- plus the last 4 digits, I almost always back off. Even with someone trustworthy like the Norton people.
    --Jane Austen, Emma

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cool

You did good. Don't EVER give out your SS number to ANYONE. Now days, the hackers and just plain cyber thieves can copy anyone's email like Norton or any legit company.

I had someone ask for my SS online, I THINK when I was having computer trouble. I just said NO. They were gone in a minute. I suspect they were the reason I was having computer trouble. I did the old Restore, and it ran perfectly.
    Last edited by Howie; 03-03-2017 at 12:41 PM.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast