Just diagnosed with 4 mm Unruptured Aneurysm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just diagnosed with 4 mm Unruptured Aneurysm

About a month ago I experienced some numbness in addition to my high blood pressure and headaches. My doctor sent me for a CT scan which indicated a 4mm Supraclinoid Aneurysm. He sent me to a Neurosurgeon who recommended that it be treated and is sending me to a Neuroradiologist for a coiling consultation.

It is a very scary experience, even though I understand the risk of rupture is low at this point. I was wondering if anyone has experienced some of the symptoms that I have had. For over a year, I've been seeing a Neurologist for constant headaches, dizziness, memory loss and confusion. She attributed all of my symptoms to stress and anxiety. I always felt there was more to it and now wonder if this Aneurysm could have caused it. The Neurosurgeon says the Aneurysm would not cause any symptoms.

Thanks,
    Sharon in Michigan

Hi Sharon,

I'm so sorry you've been diagnosed with a brain aneurysm, but please know you're one of the lucky ones who have found their aneurysm BEFORE it ruptures. Many are not so lucky.

I, personally, cannot speak to symptoms, as I had none. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone and to please reach out to this board and others if you're feeling scare and lonely. Many have gone through what you're going through and it really does help to speak to others. Just keep in mind everyone's health is different, everyone's brain aneurysm is different and are different sizes, shapes, and locations. You may get many, many different answers. Also keep in mind we're not a medical staff and try to seek out your doctors for any medical questions...and do ASK questions! Write them down as you think of them to you'll have them with you when you see the neurologist.

Coiling is a much less invasive treatment and recovery, especially from an UNruptured brain aneurysm, can be relatively quick if all goes well during the procedure. I would hope your symptoms are a results of the brain aneurysm, but the doctors would be able to help you more with that.

Stay in touch and know you'e not alone. Many, many people have gone through this as well. It's perfectly normal to be scared, but because you KNOW about the brain aneurysm, you can take care of it before it takes care of you! :-)

Stay strong and take care of yourself.
    Ruptured 11mm annie on 10/5/06. Left internal carotid artery. Coiled at Maine Med. Portland, ME. 16 coils. Coils compacting Dec. 2010. Stent implanted 3/16/2011 and 4 more new coils added 4/27/2011 by Dr. Ecker. Another 4mm annie discovered Dec. 2010. Older sister died from rupture 5/29/12. Smaller annie grew & was clipped in Jan. 2014. Orig. annie getting new remnant. Possible flow diversion needed now. Check out my Brain Blog: Brain Blog

Comment

Thank you so much for your response. I am very thankful that it was found so that it can be treated before it causes any problems. You have given me some great advice. I do feel alone and lonely. I am single and both of my boys are off on their own. It is difficult for them to understand why I am afraid. The unknown is what is the most frightening and as I learn more, the less panic stricken I become.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. My next appointment is on March 8th for the coiling consultation.
      ~Sharon

Comment

Hi Sharon,
        I don't know much about Aneurysm but I read the book "True Strength" by Kevin Sorbo and he had symptoms a bit like yours before his Aneurysm ruptured causing a stroke. It could be the Aneurysm is slowing blood flow to the brain, but not completely blocking the blood flow. Dizziness and the other symptoms you describe are neurologic signs i.e the brain is trying to tell you something is wrong. I hope your treatment goes well.
        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Hi sharon5 and WELCOME!

I'm not very well informed about brain aneurysms but I wonder if your neurosurgeon said that the aneurysm wouldn't cause any symptoms. Could he/she have said that typically an aneurysm doesn't cause symptoms? There are aneurysms that do cause symptoms, according to this:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Some of the symptoms you mention might have been caused by the aneurysm, it seems to me, but I'm not a medical professional.

I do wish you luck as you face this decision about whether and when to have the coiling done. Many people have had very favorable outcomes from that procedure, and great progress has been made in recent years in the treatment of aneurysms.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Sharon)))))) ~

TO BRAINTALK!

We're glad that you found us. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with pain and other symptoms.

I know absolutely nothing about aneurysms, but I wonder if your symptoms could be unrelated to the aneurysm and could be the result of hormonal imbalance, eg. pituitary, thyroid, and adrenal glands. Blood work might reveal whether you have an imbalance in any of these glands. It might also be helpful to have your estrogen and progesterone levels checked. You mentioned that your boys are adults on their own now, so perhaps you are experiencing peri-menopause. Many women have the symptoms you described during peri-menopause and menopause. With the exception of headaches, I experienced dizziness, memory loss, and confusion. Now, I'm a Senior, and I have a different excuse for those symptoms.

Just some "out of the box" thoughts ~

I hope that your Neuroradiologist will be compassionate, caring, and reassuring during your consultation. Please check back in with us and let us know about your consultation.

You're not alone, Sharon. We're here for you.

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Thank you. I appreciated your taking the time to comment. This group is such a fantastic source of encouragement and knowledge.

Comment

((((((Sharon)))))) ~

You are among friends here. Feel free to share whatever you want or need to share with us, including your fears and stress. We may not have the answers, but we will support you. And we'll understand, because we've all gone through our own challenges, procedures, tests, waiting, more tests, more waiting, and accepting the results, diagnosis and treatment.

Love & Light,

Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to BT! As others have said, you are one of the lucky ones to have found your aneurysm before it found you. There are a lot of neurosurgeons out there that are of the belief that aneurysms are asymptomatic. However, you will find many examples of that not being the case, with many people experiencing symptoms as you describe. I had all the symptoms that you describe (plus a few more) and my neurosurgeon, my general practitioner and the neurointerventional radiologist who were all looking after my case suggested that it was all due to anxiety. I did have PTSD for many years, but like you, felt that that wasn't attributable to these symptoms.
                  Please remember that if at any time you don't feel 100% comfortable with the treatment options you are given, you can always get a second opinion. Educate yourself - which it seems you have been doing - as knowledge is power. Just make sure you read reputable papers from places like Pubmed, and from sites like the Brain Aneurysm Foundation.

Mine was deemed inoperable and had it monitored for 5.5 years, with ongoing symptoms increasing. I finally got a second opinion, and ended up having a successful clipping done. Coiling is a far less invasive operation, with a much quicker recovery period.

Your meeting is in 2 days...I wish you well, and send you strength...you've got this. I'm here if you have any questions (and I can answer).

Beachgirl xx
                  Last edited by Beachgirl; 03-06-2017, 03:47 AM.
                  sigpicTo see a world in a grain of sand,
                  And a heaven in a wild flower,
                  Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                  And eternity in an hour. - William Blake.

Comment

I'm new to threads and posts, so please forgive any mistakes. Friday, Aug. 7, 2018, my neurologist called and said I have a 3mm and 5mm aneurysm and he is sending me to a neurosurgeon. I've been doing a lot of reading today trying to get a grasp of what I was told. I have found some good information here, but the last posts are over a year old. I was wondering if there is somewhere else I should be looking for more up to date information. I'm trying to figure options and wonder what outcomes people have recently experienced from their procedures. Any advice would be appreciated. God bless, Debby

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X