Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tub safety bar

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

funnylegs, so far I like mine though I'm probably going to have to check with the building manager. This may be a fiberglass tub and might crack.

It's supposed to support a person up to 250 lbs.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Bathrooms are the most hazardous rooms in the house. Lots of slippery surfaces, lots of hard surfaces to fall into, hit your head, break a bone. If you have any extra money at all, spend it to modify your bathroom! Those bars are helpful. If you have a tub and shower combination, another alternative is a bath chair with adjustable legs- two on one side that fit into the tub, the northern side longer, the height adjusted so it goes over the top of the tub, the legs on the floor. You have to adjust the shower curtain so it mainly is in the tub to channel the water, and have a hand held shower head.

Depending on the size of your tub, there are benches that fit entire in the tub. You'd still need a grab bar like this to get in and out, but you wouldn't need to get up from a sitting position in the tub.

Another useful thing is a raised toilet seat. There are a few different options of these, but basically it's a plastic or rubber basin, open, that fits over the toilet bowl, several inches deep. If you have trouble getting up off the toilet, it's a big help. If you ever replace the toilet altogether, there are raised toilets available that don't cost any more than standard ones, and can be used by anyone. Grab bars around the toilet are helpful, too, as getting up and down can be tricky if your balance is bad.

I had a roll in shower installed years ago, and just recently had it repaired and upgraded with a better drain. It's tiny, but open enough that I can get assistance in there if needed. I have lots of rails around it.too, to hold onto should I need to. I transfer from my wheelchair to a shower bench, pull the curtain around me, shower, then transfer into my wheelchair.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I have a walk-in shower [in Wis] with sliding doors and (4"?) lip. There are 2 grab bars just inside the shower: one at either door. I've been thinking of changing the towel rack I have (which falls apart if grabbed) to a long bar between shower and sink. It would serve both as towel bar and something to grab on the outside.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Don't use a towel bar as a grab bar! They are not made for that purpose, and could tear out part of your wall, creating even more of a problem should you grab it while you're falling, or trying to use it to pull yourself up! If they don't pull out of your wall (taking plaster or tile with them), they could bend, and be useless that way, too!

There are tools called "stud finders" you can buy at a hardware store. You can buy one for around $5...up to $30, depending on their sophistication...that you need to use to find the studs -- the upright beams used in walls. There is a magnet in them which will locate the nails used in the construction of the wall. The beams are usually set about 16 inches apart, measuring from the center of the board to the center of the next board. After you've found a couple, you can then measure to find the rest. Screw the grab bar (thicker than a towel rack, built to hold your weight, built to be pulled on) into the studs. They usually come with 5 screws. The grab bars are usually set at about 36 inches high, but you can set them at whatever height you want...usually somewhere around the height of your clenched hand, when standing. (As if your hand was holding on to the bar). The grab bars come in various lengths, from 2 feet (24 inches) on up. Most of mine are 36 inches...but it depends on where you're putting it, and how much wall space you have.

Be safe out there! You don't want wall board, or plaster, or bathroom tiles falling on your head while you lie on the floor with a bent rod in your hand!
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't use a towel bar as a grab bar! They are not made for that purpose, and could tear out part of your wall, creating even more of a problem should you grab it while you're falling, or trying to use it to pull yourself up! If they don't pull out of your wall (taking plaster or tile with them), they could bend, and be useless that way, too!

There are tools called "stud finders" you can buy at a hardware store. You can buy one for around $5...up to $30, depending on their sophistication...that you need to use to find the studs -- the upright beams used in walls. There is a magnet in them which will locate the nails used in the construction of the wall. The beams are usually set about 16 inches apart, measuring from the center of the board to the center of the next board. After you've found a couple, you can then measure to find the rest. Screw the grab bar (thicker than a towel rack, built to hold your weight, built to be pulled on) into the studs. They usually come with 5 screws. The grab bars are usually set at about 36 inches high, but you can set them at whatever height you want...usually somewhere around the height of your clenched hand, when standing. (As if your hand was holding on to the bar). The grab bars come in various lengths, from 2 feet (24 inches) on up. Most of mine are 36 inches...but it depends on where you're putting it, and how much wall space you have.

Be safe out there! You don't want wall board, or plaster, or bathroom tiles falling on your head while you lie on the floor with a bent rod in your hand!

Stud finders...sounds like it might be useful. And you can get this on Amazon? Well, I'll have to take a look. Do they have stud pictures? I would like to see the stud picture before I decide on which stud to bring home! I'm sure John won't mind.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Stud finders...sounds like it might be useful. And you can get this on Amazon? Well, I'll have to take a look. Do they have stud pictures? I would like to see the stud picture before I decide on which stud to bring home! I'm sure John won't mind.
    We have one and there is a series of lights. The closer you get to the center the more lights come on. Lenny thinks ours may be a Stanley.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    Hmm. Not sure that's the kind of stud that is being discussed, but some pictures of guys in thongs might be nice. Or guys not in thongs.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I get the idea that Linda is talking about a different kind of stud!!

Agate, my tub is tile - no problem holding the kind of thing you saw. But a garden tub is a large one like you usually see that have jets (like whirlpools have). It is a corner tub and I have always wished I had just a regular tub because it is so big neither I nor the maid want to clean it. It gathers dust as far as I am concerned. I use to enjoy getting in it occasionally, but now my legs will not get me up from a sitting position. I was wondering if this was something that I could pull up by.

My shower is completely separate and I put a shower stool in it years ago.
    Virginia

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Agate, STILL dreaming about me in a thong, and I haven't even mentioned it in this long cold Winter weather. Well, I will promise you that you'll be the first to see me in a thong. Just hang in there! Summer is just around the corner!
    Roswell was a gift.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cat, muttering to herself...lordy me, people's minds in the gutter......

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast