Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS is ending my work life

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Default MS is ending my work life

Sadly, I am no longer able to work, due to MS...I am slowly winding down work over the next few months. I had planned to work forever, really enjoy my work. I am very sad about this as is my community, but that's just reality.

I am sure I will adapt to my new life. But stil....

Tell me how you came about stopping work and how that was for you, if you feel like sharing...

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quick version: I realized I couldn't stay wake long enough or read small print. I hated it. I still hate not being able to do things without help.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

I worked at a public school teaching reading to children who required extra individualized help, often due to learning disabilities. I had to navigate across campus many times daily, on a very tight schedule. It became very difficult as my walking ability quickly diminished. Bladder control and fatigue were also problems leading to my decision to give up working.
    I really enjoyed my work and being around children. I did some private tutoring at home for awhile, but gave that up eventually. I find myself much more isolated now, but at the same time, free to persue interests that I didn't have time for while working.
    It takes acceptance, adjustment and redirection to achieve a fulfilling, happy life. You're already half way there, BBS. It's okay to "mourn" the loss for a bit. Life is never what we plan, it may just be better in a different way!

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thank you both for sharing your lives.

I said NO To so many things because was so busy working, and lately because it was all I could do to work and rest. Now I can say yes to meeting for a cup of tea, can sit on the beach every day and breathe in salt air, and who knows what else life may bring. This gives me the chance to deal better with the MS too.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I stopped working soon after the start of my second exacerbation. It was a monster, and I knew my working days were over. I had a friend who helped me get to the Social Security place, and start the ball rolling.

It was like the start of a new life, one that didn't include working, but one where my efforts were to arrange things so I could stay independent. I have, and even added taking care of my cats, and building my Ghia which would have taken years to do if I also had a job.

But the cats and I have a nice home, I have a garage for Pinky, and Red to drive for my grocery getter. Now that a job is not an option, work on making things comfortable for you and your man.
    "Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon."

Frank Zappa

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Nice post Howie. So far that's my plan. I haven't been able to cook on work days, because it's too many steps and they get used up at work. I plan to get back to cooking, growing cooking herbs like mint etc. maybe play piano again and take better care of friendships. I figure stuff may fall into my lap.

But still....

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Hi,
    I was diagnosed in 1990. I was forced to go on disability in 1998. Thought I would get back to work but my MS went downhill and so I formally retired in 2001.

I had a job that I loved, it filled my mind and gave me opportunity to create. I felt like I was in grad school for the 30 years I taught 12th grade. Really, my job was my life. Intellectual excitement. I was one very lucky person. And I was getting better and better at teaching. I never thought I would ever retire!

When I had to leave that job it was problematic for quite a while. It took me a long time to find my place in the world. I have probably never reclaimed a sense of myself. I cannot get where I want to be. This farm has save me by giving me interesting work to do but it is John's love and project. I love it too but I am imprisoned on the farm since I cannot manage to do the college activities that sustained me.

This is honest. Life can be very stimulating but I have lost my connections to the arts.
    This will be quite a journey you will go on. Perhaps you are located closer to the things you love.
    Keep your mind busy and keep the connections to friends...

Enjoy the relief of not struggling to keep up.....I also enjoyed not having to dress professionally anymore.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

its a sad time, how ever you look at it..

Was a PE teacher/farmer wife/kennel operator, busy busy, til MS made its debut,, I denied it, ignored the relapses,, then one big relapse, more or less woke me up,, I cut hours, tried to slow down,, and then decided,, maybe I better think. and I quit,, not all but farming, Joe was a stickler on me and equipment,,kennel,? I sold my dogs , to my broker { he always bought my puppies},,

I just was a little sad, but knew it was for the best,, but I taught dog obedience to the 4/H kids,, I loved doing that,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I still miss the working and I am the opposite of Linda as far as dressing. I miss dressing professionally, but there is no need to buy the clothes. I have only had on a skirt one time (for Niece's wedding) in several years and for several years before that only for special events. Up until then I was up and getting dressed to the nines every day. It energized me and helped me feel good about myself. Now I am too tired to put on make-up many days.

I miss the going to concerts, plays, etc that were a big part of what I did back then.

However, having said that, I can tell you that even though you love your job, you will have less stress in your life when you are completely free. A little lonely sometime, but you are still well enough to meet with your friends and enjoy things with you husband. Soon, you will wonder how you found the time to work.
    Virginia

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thank you Laz, Virginia, and Peg for taking the time to share your lives.

In retrospect I wish I had retired in oct when the Big attack occurred. However I think I had been hopeful that it would recede and that the baclofen would be more beneficial with less side effects.

Now, I can barely wait until last day of work is done. Although I am sad about the loss, I think it is time. I just hope I can make it through the next month or two. Time will tell.

20. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast