Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MS is ending my work life

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thank you Laz, Virginia, and Peg for taking the time to share your lives.

In retrospect I wish I had retired in oct when the Big attack occurred. However I think I had been hopeful that it would recede and that the baclofen would be more beneficial with less side effects.

Now, I can barely wait until last day of work is done. Although I am sad about the loss, I think it is time. I just hope I can make it through the next month or two. Time will tell.
    I'm thinking of you during this time of transition.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((BBS1951)))))) ~

Change is always challenging. We leave the familiar and turn to the unknown. That can be daunting. But what awaits you is a clean slate, one waiting for your creations.

You may find retirement to be relaxing, stress-free, and providing you with opportunities to enjoy your life to the fullest. You've worked hard for a long time, and you deserve freedom to do and be as you desire.

Fill your life with all of the things you've been unable to do while you were working. I'll bet you discover how wonderful it is to be free.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Thank you Laz, Virginia, and Peg for taking the time to share your lives.

In retrospect I wish I had retired in oct when the Big attack occurred. However I think I had been hopeful that it would recede and that the baclofen would be more beneficial with less side effects.

Now, I can barely wait until last day of work is done. Although I am sad about the loss, I think it is time. I just hope I can make it through the next month or two. Time will tell.
    I know many people with disabilities who found fulfillment in volunteer work that was more adapted to their new needs. Sometimes the volunteer work would become paid work after a longer period of time because the place they volunteered at found them valuable to the cause etc. This would definitely be a good time to pursue new interests that are less physically demanding. It might be a time of great opportunity. In the meantime do the best you can at work and don't worry, I'm sure you will do just fine.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Hi - Was having trouble with the morning commute, needing to leave the house by 5:00 a.m. in order to avoid the gridlock. Asked the V.P. I reported to for help and allow me to begin at a closer base due to afternoon MS fatigue. That was not an option.

A new position was created to buffer me from that VP. My position was eliminated but was offered a another newly created position. The new position carried a submissive title and paid 10,000 dollars less per year. In addition my commute would be extended another 35 absolutely horrible gridlocked miles. Talked to Doc about the situation. He advised me that the time for SSDI had come. That was in 1997. Soon thereafter my body went to hell.

Have had a few stays in hospital - a couple pretty serious - in the 20 years away from working and became just me. And that's o.k.

Tweeker
    Last edited by Tweeker; 03-17-2017 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Misspell
    Ya Can't Argue With An Idiot

8. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeker View Post
    Hi - Was having trouble with the morning commute, needing to leave the house by 5:00 a.m. in order to avoid the gridlock. Asked the V.P. I reported to for help and allow me to begin at a closer base due to afternoon MS fatigue. That was not an option.

A new position was created to buffer me from that VP. My position was eliminated but was offered a another newly created position. The new position carried a submissive title and paid 10,000 dollars less per year. In addition my commute would be extended another 35 absolutely horrible gridlocked miles. Talked to Doc about the situation. He advised me that the time for SSDI had come. That was in 1997. Soon thereafter my body went to hell.

Have had a few stays in hospital - a couple pretty serious - in the 20 years away from working and became just me. And that's o.k.

Tweeker
    I asked my boss for a simple accommodation and was denied. I hired a lawyer and that did the trick. But I was astounded that ignorant and callous bosses can wreak such havoc.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I am the boss and owner. So, I have had all kinds of accommodations other jobs would never ever allow :) ... I am sorry it didn't work out for Laz and Tweeker.

I see it from both sides- the side of the employer and the employee...(It sounds like it ultimately worked out for Tweeker in that his body went to hell soon after the denial though. )

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

I am the boss and owner. So, I have had all kinds of accommodations other jobs would never ever allow :) ... I am sorry it didn't work out for Laz and Tweeker.

I see it from both sides- the side of the employer and the employee...(It sounds like it ultimately worked out for Tweeker in that his body went to hell soon after the denial though. )

It did work out for me. Just took a lawyer to fight my battle with me!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

They tried to wrong the wrong woman!

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Adjustment is so difficult especially when there is a sudden change. Why don't you join some organization that make you a little busy or a spiritual organization, it can help you with your emptiness.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I am not bored or lonely, thankfully. I have adapted to this forced ending to work. .... I am also too disabled to be able to join groups like spiritual groups, charity groups etc.

it's nice to see you posting though, Nosydoll.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12