Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep on Moving : February 2017

Distinguished Community Member

Default Keep on Moving : February 2017

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can egg each other on.

I have a nasty infection and have suspended vigorous exercise. My moving yesterday and today consisted of about five flights stairs at home, walking halls at work. Hoping to be elk enough ugh to swim tomorrow.

How about You?

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I started today pushing the 5" of very light snow that we got last night. I used a big broom and pushed it off the porch, pushed a path for the pup to be able to go out, and pulled the huge tarps off of the cars they were covering.

That tarp over the cars is the best way to save me ever having to clean snow off the cars. I just pull the tarp off and the snow falls off. If the snow is heavy it is more work but last night was light snow! I hear the fellow who plows the whole farm areas outside now. Thank goodness!

Thanks for this thread....I have been helped by following everyone's exercise routines. It is easy to stop moving. Keep moving is lifesaving and mind saving.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

I got a new vacuum with the thought of putting it in my upstairs (the one I had broke down), but tried it out in my downstairs today where I live. I like it, but it gives my right arm a work out. It is a Shark Rocket and really does a good job. It gets places I could not get with my Ricar without moving things. There is no bag and you just empty the cup at the top which is easy to do. That is going to be my exercise for today. I may decide to keep this vacuum down here. My maid can easily vacuum under my bed every other week when she comes with this one. Before I had a little thing called a "pick up" and I had to keep the battery pack charged and of course it didn't do the job that this one does.

However, my right arm muscle really got a work out, much more so than with my Ricar.
    Virginia

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

It's interesting how taking care of life creates these opportunities to keep on moving! I skipped my swim today because I am trying to recover from an infection. However, I did my usual five flights of stairs at home. And I skipped using the scooter and ran into the grocery store and shopped for about five minutes.

Am starting to feel better. Might try a quick swim in the morning.

This thread helps me be more mindful of trying to increase my moving around. It makes me feel like I am more accountable somehow.
    Last edited by BBS1951; 02-01-2017 at 04:30 PM.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yesterday this is what I did by way of exercise:

--40 weight lifts with the weights wrapped around my feet, a routine I was supposed to do on Friday or Saturday but didn't get around to (oops)

--10 squats

--20 backward tilts

--10 sideways leg lifts

--10 knee squeezes with 11" ball

--10 hip lifts on each side

--20 pelvic lifts

--20 tiptoe stands

This is the usual daily routine, with extras added 3 days a week.

Today I had a chair to assemble. Its total weight is 34 lbs. but I didn't have to lift its entire weight. Mainly it took arm and hand strength to tighten up all of the screws. That just may count as some exercise today.
    I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.
    --Robert Benchley

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

10. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Wow! Puts me to shame and inspires me!

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

But you've been surfing in those shark-infested waters, BBS! My exercise routines don't take very long, I don't have to go anywhere to do them, and they're not very strenuous at all.
    I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well.
    --Robert Benchley

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07-5/15/10. Member of MS forum here since 2001.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

back in my day when I could exercise,, tread mill 20 minutes / swimming a hour in the pool,, {which I totally miss doing},, I lift weights now, and have a pedal machine I use every day for 15 minutes,,

has anyone used a medicine ball ? when my core was out of whack,, my PT lady {she was so good, she works with MS patients}, had me sit on one, to get my core stronger, and it worked
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

16. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

In one of the PT courses I had (some years ago) sitting on one of those medicine balls was something I had to do.

I promptly lost my balance and fell off it, and maybe that's why I didn't see any more of the medicine ball. I felt sorry for the PT people--they got really nervous after I fell. I wasn't injured but I guess they were concerned.

The arm strengthening exercises I do 3 times a week--10 stretches with an exercise band inserted in a door--must be helping me.

Usually if I have a job to do like assembling a piece of furniture, tightening so many screws leaves my arms all shaky and tingly for days. Yesterday I had a chair to put together and had to insert and tighten about 16 screws with an Allen wrench. They had to be really tight of course and so I gave it my all.

I ended up with only very minimal arm and hand problems, and the whole job took about half an hour though I took a couple of breaks.

Maybe taking the breaks helped but I think it was the arm exercises. I've been doing them since last spring. By now there should be some effect, I figure.
    --Robert Benchley

18. The following 8 users say "thanks"

This is great Agate. I guess I should have been doing them. My right arm was so shaky yesterday after using my new vacuum that I could hardly do anything. Today I have been so sore in that arm and especially the upper muscle. Maybe it is lack of exercise and use of the arm.
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast