Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about iGive

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default A question about iGive

Pretty much gave up on iGive. I heard from too many people that it was either too difficult to use, or wouldn't work properly on their computer.
    The quote above is from Mike Weins in August 2016. I mention this because I just had an e-mail from iGive letting me know the current status of my account, which I have with them, with BrainTalk Communities as the recipient of small contributions from purchases I make online. As most of my online purchases are through Amazon, I was a bit concerned about this part of the e-mail:

As of July 31, 2016 Amazon told us that they no longer wish to help you
    support BrainTalk Communities Incorporated via iGive. There are 1,700+ great stores that DO want to help you support them.
    Does anyone know anything about what this means, other than that Amazon will no longer be making donations when I buy something there?

There still seems to be $99 sitting in the iGive account for BrainTalk Communities. I hope that BrainTalk Communities can get this money and make use of it somehow.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate you are a super sleuth!
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agate you are a super sleuth!
    Not really! I just get e-mails from iGive though they're very unusual. I think this was only the second one I've had in the couple of years I've been signed up with them.

It did occur to me that $99 just sitting around there ought to be going to help BrainTalk in some way.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone !

iGive sends me a statement 4 times a year. i just got one a few days ago. iGive asks me to check my purchases to make sure the stores i shop at that donate to iGive have donated the money to my account. if you have less than $25 in your account, they keep rolling it over until you have $25 and then they send a check to your charity.

I have had the iGive button for about 4 years and i've never had a balance there over the $25, so i assume bt is getting checks from my purchases. i think when Mike wrote that post that you quoted, agate, that i once again downloaded the iGive button because i realized i hadn't seen it on the online sites that i shop on. when you sign into a site that participates in iGive, there will be a big sign at the top of the site that you have to check so they know you are an iGive member. after you check that, a little sign remains in the lower right hand corner of the site to let you know the iGive "button" is on.

agate, i remember you saying that you didn't resign up because of something about your computer (?). I think you might have to sign up again in order for bt to get that $99 dollars. there might be a phone number or email that you can write to also, so that you could let them know about the balance and see if bt can get the money if you're not going to resign up with iGive. iGive emailed me about a year ago saying that amazon was no longer participating in iGive because amazon had their own charitable donation program. i don't know much about that, but if you shop at amazon a lot it might be worth looking around the site to see how you can get amazon to donate to bt.

i hope this is helpful.

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 11-16-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks, tic chick! Yes, I had cancelled iGive for quite a while because it just didn't work well with my computer but since last summer I've had a new PC and have turned iGive back on.

The $99 was the total donated to BT by those who had designated BT as the organization for iGive to donate to. My share in that is just about $25.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

sorry agate, i thought the $99 dollars was still in your account .

jeannie
    WE ARE BT!

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

hey everyone !

i was reading an article today about which businesses sell donald and ivanka trump products that people might want to avoid to protest against trump. well, i can't say that i will avoid these businesses, but i can certainly say i will not buy any donald or ivanka products. the article is here: http://mindy-fischer-writer.com/2016...rump-products/

BUT....

while reading this article, i came across how amazon shoppers can benefit the charity of their choice:
    If you want to use Amazon and feel good about it, use AmazonSmile. AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice.
    the website is: http://smile.amazon.com/ now i don't know if bt has to be registered as a charity in order for it to receive funds. does anyone know if bt is registered as a charity?

happy shopping!
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 11-20-2016 at 10:51 AM.
    WE ARE BT!

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Cat and others use this. I'm going to start. Thanks Jeanie.
    K
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I've used only one of those places (Zappo's) and that was years ago-- except for Amazon but they point out that shopping at Amazon isn't really so bad particularly if you're using AmazonSmile.

I've been using AmazonSmile but it's set to donate to the organization that delivers groceries to people around here, the service I've been using. I'd change it BT but have the impression that BT isn't able to accept these kinds of donations (iGive, AmazonSmile).

18. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

I have a few things put aside on Amazon I want to send for Christmas and I only had to get rid of one. Now that I know I'm using Amazon Smile. I'm so glad to know that. And they give to Noah's Ark too! Thanks very much!!

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast