Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 6186111131151156157158159160161
Results 1,601 to 1,604 of 1604

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member

I worry that no one in either the House or Senate seem to have the spine to stand up to trump and his cronies. I hold out hope that Mueller gets done with his investigation soon, before he is fired...or at worst, gets enough done so that if he is fired, there will still be a record available.

I thought Watergate was the most corruption I'd see in our government in my lifetime. That pales next to what we're watching unfold, now....

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    North Carolina

Yes, Watergate was really bad, but not like this. I don't think that many people lived in fear the way many of us are now. I was living in the Washington area, just outside in Alexandria, Va and working at the Pentagon during Watergate. So, we were very aware of what was happening in the government, but I don't remember people being divided and as fearful as they are now.

Sunshine, how can anyone know what would have happened if Kennedy had lived? I think that Vietnam would never have escalated to the extent that it did. At least according to Bobby Kennedy it would not have. He said John Kennedy would never have put boots on the ground the way that Johnson did, but we will never know. I realize there was zero fondness between Bobby and LBJ, but I do think that Kennedy learned a lot from the "bay of pigs" fiasco. Also, John Kennedy was very much loved by most of our allies. He had a very likeable way about him and a 100watt smile. He also was charismatic and witty. I went to France not quite a year after his death and the people there still adored him. Unfortunately, he was a ladies man. However, he did have dignity and knew how to conduct himself in public. IMO we don't have any of that now. But, no, we will never know how history would have changed.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

Thank you for the book recommendation. Unfortunately, I don't have time to read anything longer than an article on the internet or in a magazine. Since Stephen King is the author, I would imagine the outcome would be horrible. JFK's assassination was very traumatic for me, so I probably shouldn't relive it anyway.

Virginia ~

I remember reading that the Kennedy wives warned Jackie prior to her marriage to JFK that all of the Kennedy men were philanderers. I don't know why she would choose to marry him with that foreknowledge. I suspect that it related to her station in society and appearances. The Kennedys ~ there's a family rife with tragedies.

JFK was intelligent, a war hero, charming, articulate and an excellent orator, who was globally respected.

Everything that the current resident of the Oval Office is not.

Cat ~

Agree with you ~ This is Watergate on steroids. I want to see them all carted off to jail, just like they were with Watergate. Then, we'll have to start rebuilding our country. And fumigate the White House.

Love & Light,

Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

If I recall the plot accurately, the protagonist Jake prevents the assassinstion. JFK lives and continues to be ineffectual on many fronts including civil rights although Vietnam winds down. George Wallace rises as a populist and demagogue as the south is not rallied behind LBJ (as he is only a weakened VP since JFK lives).wallace wins and the country goes down a very dark path (prescient, no?—shades of DT)

Jake lives through this horrid subsequent disintegration of civil society under Wallace...He then has the agonizing choice of going back through the wormhole and letting his hero JFK die and the subsequent death of 50k US soldiers in Vietnam, or saving them but losing American civilization. The choices are stark and Jake chooses letting JFK die.

In the backdrop are the history of Oswald and his family; and a beautiful love story of Jake.

It’s the kind of book you can read a little at a time. Some parts can be skimmed if you like. None require much concentration. The time travel is depicted in a very believable way.
    Last edited by Sunshine; Yesterday at 02:21 AM.

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 161 of 161 FirstFirst ... 6186111131151156157158159160161