Page 242 of 243 FirstFirst ... 142167192212232237238239240241242243 LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 2424

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Today, I watched a portion of Pres. G HW Bush's funeral with conflicted emotions. I disagreed with many of his policies, but I am forever grateful that he signed the ADA into law.

That effort on his part helped to negate Pres. Reagan's policy that people with developmental disabilities have no rights. Somewhere, I have the LA Times article from that year (circa 1984) with the headline: "Reagan: Retarded Have No Rights."

I participated as a parent advocate in the fight to get the ADA passed. My voice was just one of millions of Americans with disabilities and their advocates and caregivers.

This author's article describes exactly how I feel today:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b069028dc6060b

President Bush became disabled in his final years, requiring a wheelchair, assistants, and his service dog, Sully. I watched a video clip of Sully being brought into the Rotunda to say his last farewell to his master. So poignant.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 5.00.14 PM.jpg

At the end of GW Bush's eulogy, he said that his father was now able to hug Robin, GWH/Barbara's daughter, who died at the age of 3 from leukemia, and hold Barbara's hand. He wept, and I did too, because I was seeing him as a grieving son, not as a President.

All of the former Presidents and First Ladies attended with decorum, grace, and a friendship between them, and respect for GHW and GW. All Democrats. On the end of the pew, the current resident of the White House sat with his arms crossed. The tension was palpable. Every one of them had been (still are) his targets.

In addition to President GHW Bush's signing of the ADA, I admire him as a true war hero during WWII.

May he rest in peace.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-05-2018 at 05:25 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

I salute the 41st President of the USA President George H.W Bush for his signing of the Americans with Disabilities Act on this day as he is mourned. The ADA gave me many opportunities like schooling and access to things I would not have otherwise had access to. I know the ADA is one of the reasons I was able to make my films. Are things perfect for the disabled community in the USA? No far from it and George H.W Bush is not a saint, only human and therefore flawed but I am eternally grateful to him! The ADA is one of the reasons I'm so proud to live in this country and the ADA is the example that other countries like India and Japan are using as a model to improve disability rights in their own countries.

I thought the entire service was conducted with great dignity and all of the Presidents and First Ladies conducted themselves with great grace and humility. The speeches and music were beautiful. It was nice to see the human side to the Bush family.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

While George H.W. was human and therefore of course flawed, I still had a deep respect for him. I will have to look this up, but I believe he served under a Democratic Senate and Congress. If I am wrong I apologize. If I am right he probably did the very best that he could. I respect his absolute civility to so many people. The staff that took care of the White House really liked him. He took the time to get to know them and still would occasionally write to a couple of them. Some came outside to say their goodbyes when the hearse passed White House.

I also respected that he so deeply loved his wife for 73 years, that he was obviously a very good friend to many, Bill Clinton included. He was to some degree the Father that Clinton didn't know. They did much good traveling together to Haiti and when Katrina hit New Orleans and other overseas trips for charitable works.

I think he did compromise his own beliefs regarding women's reproductive rights in order to get elected. He lived in a world of realism. However, when DT came along he and Barbara came out as pro-choice, which I think they probably always were.

The ceremony itself was absolutely beautiful and very dignified. Other than DT looking like he felt out of place, I thought it was a real tribute to a man (who flawed) tried, and did, live his life in service to his country.

I loved when GW passed the piece of candy to Michelle. He almost always has a piece of candy in his pocket for her when he is going to see her. That he would do it on the day of his Father's funeral was really very thoughtful of him. He also likes Hillary a lot and at many gatherings has been pictured with his arm around her. Some of this thoughtfulness may have come from his Father. I did not like GW because he went into Iraq when they could not find any weapons of mass destruction.

In the case of his Father in the first gulf war, he got the coalition together and they went in to get Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait, then he showed restraint by getting out.

My final take away is that I didn't like all of the things he did, but I so believe he tried to be a good man. I think we all fall short of what we want to be.
    Virginia

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

i got sick of hw bush and voted for bill clinton

now i just like trump in ways and jimmy carter
    Last edited by clouds z; 12-05-2018 at 09:44 PM.
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

8. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's been a bit of a flap because the Trumps didn't recite the Apostles' Creed during the service for George H. W. Bush:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.a9446861c413
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Why does this man have to always do the opposite of what everyone else does, and look so grumpy doing it? He seemed to feel very out of place.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

This funeral brought back memories for me - for some reason more than McCain's did and I thought McCain's funeral was beautiful.

As many of you know my husband served for a long time in the military - for more than 27 years. I will have to look up how much over 27 years it was sometime. Anyway, for that reason, when he died there was a part military funeral. Naturally nothing like this, but an honor guard did come and they were the pallbearers, his casket was draped in the flag and there was a 21 gun salute. I was presented with the flag. The pallbearers set in the church and then carried the casket from there to the hearse and at the gravesite. Then the 21 gun salute was done at quite a distance from where we set at the gravesite.

I do not know what the officer said who presented me with the flag. I remember he started out with something like "On behalf of a grateful Nation and the President of the United States", after which I lost it. But for me, these funerals are very special and I am always very touched by them. Tears always come to my eyes when I watch one.

I remember when I working in Heidelberg, Germany the parade field was just outside the building I worked in. It was then the Headquarters for U.S. Army, Europe. When dignitaries came they would do what was known as "review the troops". They were greeted by a band playing our National Anthem, and some troops would come by with the flag. Anyway, I was young and very touched by this. I would get teary eyed. The Colonel I worked for noticed it one time and said "Ginny, the day that I don't tear up at this is the day I need to take this uniform off". I have never forgotten that. It meant something to us back then.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The service for your husband must have been very solemn and moving, Virginia. Military funerals are very impressive. The only one I recall watching was on TV, when President Kennedy had been assassinated. I can't forget the riderless horse.

George H. W. Bush could have had a riderless horse as part of the funeral procession but apparently opted not to.

As for the Trumps' failure to read along with the Apostles' Creed, I suspect that it is a matter of protocol and was probably all settled in advance after consulting with the protocol advisers. There are rules dictating every phase of these occasions, and I'm betting that somewhere it is stated that a sitting President, appearing in his official capacity at the state funeral for a former President, is supposed to represent himself as tolerant of all religious beliefs (or nonbelief) by not participating in reciting a creed even though most others in the congregation are doing so.

If he and Melania had recited the Creed, he would appear to be saying--in his official capacity as US President-- that the US is a Christian country, but it isn't and wasn't founded on that basis. That is my guess about why he and Melania were silent. He got it right that time.

In general, it was unusual to see him having to be just a spectator for once, not at the center of the stage. This time was someone else's moment, and it can do no harm for him to find out now and again that he isn't the only person who matters.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate. so well said and so accurate.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

What a wonderful tribute to your husband. I can only imagine how powerful and painful it must have been for you, with those memories forever etched in your heart.

I always tear up when I hear the National Anthem.

agate ~

Instead of a riderless horse, President Bush, a Navy pilot, requested a "missing man formation" fly over. His was the largest formation ever, with 21 planes.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/La...502030652.html

It would be interesting to know if a protocol exists, as you suggested, precluding a sitting President from observing a religious ritual for a deceased President. I wonder whether such a protocol would infringe upon the existing President's freedom of religion. DT claims to be a Christian, and as such, reading the Apostle's Creed would be considered part of his religious practice.

The Twitterverse has gone wild over DT's and Melania's lack of participation in singing hymns and reciting the Creed. Wouldn't someone with knowledge of such a protocol speak up from the White House to clarify why they didn't participate? So that he doesn't continue to look like an uncaring outsider?

His entire demeanor during the part of the service I saw was that of a spoiled child, who didn't want to be where he was.

And then there is the 8 limos to drive DT 250 yards to greet George and Laura Bush at Blair House. Our tax dollars at work:

https://people.com/politics/trump-mo...h-blair-house/

I'd like to think that there was a protocol to explain his behavior. But, I'm more inclined to think that he's just a selfish jerk.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 242 of 243 FirstFirst ... 142167192212232237238239240241242243 LastLast