Page 233 of 265 FirstFirst ... 133158183203223228229230231232233234235236237238243263 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2647

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member

THIS TOO SHALL END. I just don't know when or how.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Watching MSNBC this morning, it seems that maybe the tide has turned, and the blue wave is forming... Let's hope so! Getting at least a democratic House will help. Getting both House and Senate would be the end...

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's MOST unfortunate that the WH occupant has this bully pulpit. He's constantly in the public eye and he's making sure he stays there, with his outrageous and tragically wrong-headed remarks.

When I heard he was going to appear in Pittsburgh, it seemed so very wrong. I kept hoping that just the daughter and son-in-law would go to Pittsburgh quietly, without any speechifying, just paying their respects. But no.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

There should be an amendment, or law, or something, that a sitting President cannot post on the Internet.

I am enjoying reading this post. Carry on!

Howie, I agree that there should be some kind of law preventing the President from posting on the internet. It gives him an unfair advantage.

I just had an e-mail that in 5 key states where the Dems have been doing well that the Repubs are spending tons of money and now it is working, the Dems have lost ground because of all the ads, etc the republicans have been running. Why do people pay attention to those things?
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It may not be that they really pay attention but if you din a message at someone often enough, at least part of it will stick in the person's mind, and when facing the ballot with lots of names on it, the person will remember the names that have been heard most often.

Ideally the voter should ask just what is known about the candidate but many voters find it difficult to vote for so many candidates, mostly complete strangers, and tend to pick a name that "sounds good" to them--or even just a familiar name.

Trump definitely does have an unfair advantage. A law to prevent a sitting President from tweeting or using Internet social media is badly needed.

If you or I choose to use Twitter, we might have a few followers but the chances are that we'd never get nearly as much attention as a US President using Twitter does.

My ex-DIL, who is a diehard conservative (and her parents are worse), started in on Twitter some years ago, and astonishingly had quite a few followers. With her anti-Obama tweets, she found people willing to chime in readily enough.

The problem isn't just that we don't have a law keeping the US President from tweeting. Part of the problem seems to be the social media themselves--the way they are.

They offer a platform for anyone and everyone to express themselves. That's a great idea. But there are those whose self-expressions deserve to be ignored, lost, forgotten--and they're not because they're right out there with everything else, and anyone having similar views and looking for allies can find such people easily on the Internet.

There may be no way of stopping this from happening. Mark Zuckerberg hasn't come up with any answers so far as Facebook is concerned except for tweaking a few settings so that you can screen out people whose posts you don't want to see. There may need to be much more tweaking of settings before those who are attracting followers for nutcase causes are curbed.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I’m not sure whether all Presidents should be prevented from Tweeting, just THIS president. For example, here’s what DT tweeted today:

Yesterday in Pittsburgh I was really impressed with Congressman Keith Rothfus (far more so than any other local political figure). His sincere level of compassion, grief and sorrow for the events that took place was, in its own way, very inspiring. Vote for Keith!
    A. “Other local political figure(s)” didn’t want DT in Pittsburgh, with good reasons.
    B. “The events that took place …” Calling the slaughter of 11 Jews an “event” is cold, callous, and heartless.
    C. Grief is “inspiring?”
    D. “Vote for Keith!” Turning a tragedy into a political endorsement. The man has no soul.

President Obama tweeted periodically. No problem. If our President was Hillary Clinton, she’d probably tweet, and there would be no problem. DT is an entirely different can of worms.

Virginia ~

I think that the reasons why people pay attention to political ads is because our culture is hooked on visual stimuli. There’s probably a good percentage of our population, who don’t read, so they rely on media for their information. When I read comments on various news websites, I’m astounded at the plethora of poor grammar, punctuation (an apostrophe is not a quote mark!), spelling, sentence structure, and incoherency. Texting and Twitter have destroyed our language, eg., “ur" instead of "you are or you’re or your.”

PORTRAITS OF THE ELEVEN VICTIMS:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/pittsburgh...ry?id=58823835

PRAYERS FOR PITTSBURGH

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hello all !

i've just come along to vent a bit because there's been a constant rain in detroit since last night and it's chilly and my sinuses are bothering me and i can't go outside and play in my garden !

i watch my fave tv programs in the evenings. of course now i am watching political ads along with them. my boyfriend is getting so tired of them, he puts the mute button on during the ads. i have to laugh because by 2015, the republicans had voted for the 67th time to repeal obamacare, or the affordable care act. granted, many republicans have voted not to repeal it because their constituents are in favor of decent medical insurance and they do listen to their constituents. however, a couple of provisions of the act have been gutted by the courts. i heard a statistic on tv that some 90% of people want to keep the affordable health care act. on the political ads, though, the republicans are now saying that they are all for health care and not voting out pre-existing conditions, one of the best provisions in the act. they have also gone to the courts to try and have that provivion removed. a couple weeks ago, mitch mcconell said that "entitlement programs" had to be cut. this means medicaid, medicare and social security. social security should not even be in this mix because it does not add to the federal deficit, which trump increased in order to fund his tax breaks for the rich. now he's saying that the middle class will get a 10% tax cut. how can that happen if the debt is so much? i don't hear any republican political ads saying they will protect ss, medicare and medicaid, though. fool me once, shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

trump has said he can repeal the 14th amendment by executive order. paul ryan said trump didn't know what he was talking about. the 14th amendment grants citizenship to any person born on american soil. trump wants to repeal this because of all the migrants having anchor babies in the usa. i will tell you a little story...

in 1902, while her poland-born parents were visiting new york after a transatlantic pleasure cruise, my grandmother was "born in the USA", (yeah, bruce). so of course, she was an american citizen, even though her parents were both polish citizens. she returned to poland with her parents after her birth and lived there until after ww1, when she came back to america to escape anti-semitic violence in poland (pogroms), kind of like the migrants escaping violence in their countries. my grandma's father was a kosher butcher and they lived in jewish communities and although not jewish, they were subject to that same violence.
    now grandma didn't chain migrate any of her family to the usa. they all wanted to stay in poland. but, she did birth 3 babies, who birthed 8 more babies, who birthed 11 more babies, who birthed 3 more babies. so if grandma's citizenship is posthumously revoked, does that trickle down to her progeny? will trump ship the bodies of my grandma and her deceased progeny back to poland? am i an "illegal alien" along with the rest of my family?

seriously, i am not losing sleep over this, but it did interest me.

looking forward to voting straight democrat next tuesday and hoping the predictions of a house return to democrats is right. i don't think democrats will retake the senate, unless something remarkable happens. i am also looking forward VERY MUCH to robert muellers next indictments and moves. the smear campaign that was started by some repub sycophant of trump was turned over to the fbi and is now being investigated. mueller has been quiet for the 2 months preceding the election, so as not to be accused of trying to influence the voters. i think he's been extremely busy. i read that he asked for a copy of the watergate papers. interesting.

i also pray for the people shot in the pittsburg synagogue and their families and friends. i heard a jewish spokesperson say that the jews are always prepared for violence against them when there is a climate of hatred for migrants, foreigners or just anyone different, (muslims, lbgt people, blacks, etc.), because they know they will also be targeted. it doesn't matter who you are, someone will always hate something about you and what you stand for because they are haters.

back to the political ads.....

thank you for sharing and reading,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 11-01-2018 at 11:25 AM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Blog Entries

So here's something I'v been wondering about in regards to birthright citizenship, if someone from another country like say India, is here on a vacation or something and happens to give birth to a baby, does the baby still have American citizenship and if the baby does, what happens if the baby when it goes up or the parents want the baby to be a citizen of the country they originally came from? Do the child's parents need to go through a long process for the baby to be a citizen of that country like I did when I immigrated? Just curious. Does anyone know?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

If the child is born in the USA they are indeed US citizens. As to what their home countries do, I assume they would have dual citizenship.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 233 of 265 FirstFirst ... 133158183203223228229230231232233234235236237238243263 ... LastLast