Thread: How do you get a driver

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Default How do you get a driver

I need another source for a driver on days I cannot drive, or I can drive, but the parking is way too far from the building’s wehhlchairs. I am unable to lift my chair out of my small car...

I depend on DH and friends. ANd a few I pay for their time and mileage...But at this point, its too much to ask constantly, and DH does work full time.
    Doc visits come up suddenly, a day or two in advance sometimes.

I called the VNA and they have a program. I think it’s abut 20$ hour, for a minimum of 2 hours, so a min of 40$. I will find out. I resisted having to depend on a stranger, but the time has come.

Also, DH goes to grocery store on the few occasions I cannot. So frustrating: He doesn’t know how to shop. Brings home food that is outdated in one day, doesnt know that the newer is in the back no matter how many times I repeat that. No matter explicit instructions, brings home the cheap non organic chicken to cook for dinner,which I will not cook... I know that its a lot to ask, but it speaks to my frustration of needing to rely on others to do these simple tasks...

Or putting groceries away. Explicitly say, wrapthe chicken in a plastic bag and put it on a dish on the fridge shelf so salmonella doesnt get on other things in the fridge. There it is in teh fridge today, unwrapped, but at least on a plate. Probably ok, but really? The handwritten instructions , carefully described verbally, I guess were insufficient.

Small things in the scheme of things, but it is constant, daily. Like husbands never learning how to pack the diaper bag.. never.

Ok, thats the end of the rant.

Its hard to feel so helpless. I am trying to let it go....I let so much go.... one more thing to let go and just let ppl take care of me as best as they can. It is a fine balance...

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I don’t know if you are asking the question, “How to get a driver?”

Most states have an access program for people w disabilities. In MA it’s called The Ride. In PA it’s Access or maybe Axis. These usually but not always need to be scheduled ahead of time with very little availability for “same day” service. Was cheap when I used it but waits for driverto show up on the coming home end could be long. Also, there were usually other clients and I was often the last stop. I understand that the MA program is sometimes using UBer for some of these Rides.

Uber and Lyft you know about or can read up about. I have used Uber a lot in Boston. They show up in less than 5 minutes.

For my Mom, a social worker suggested gogo grandparents might be easier for her. I’m checking into it.

Another option would be to ask for a driver on the Nextdoor app. This would b someone you hire in your neighborhood. You could set up your requirements and pay.

Best to you,
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-15-2019 at 07:57 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds to me as if you'd like someone to drive you to/from places like grocery stores--preferably someone who can handle the wheelchair and have consideration for your preferences and needs.

I'd start by asking the local chapter of the MS Society. I did that here, and they sent me a list of local resources. Many of them were agencies that offered help with errands--someone to take you on errands, or someone to do the errands for you.

For years I used such a service, and it worked fairly well. The helper wasn't always able to handle the wheelchair but that was the only real issue, aside from helpers who occasionally didn't show up when scheduled. Their job was to do what I asked them to do, and that suited me.

If I asked for help in putting the groceries away, they did that. They would unwrap (or wrap) whatever I wanted.

Instacart does a good job of enabling a shopper to get fairly specific about what is wanted--bananas that aren't really ripe yet, for instance. You could certainly specify organic chicken and expect to get that. You might want to make sure you've made it clear that you won't accept substitutions--or specify the type of substitution you want. Instacart's shopper will also help to put the groceries away if you want.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Sunshine, another place to get information might be a Senior Center that is fairly close to you. Even if you are not a senior, if you are disabled they will often give you information on people close to you that might be of help.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don’t know if you are asking the question, “How to get a driver?”

Most states have an access program for people w disabilities. In MA it’s called The Ride. In PA it’s Access or maybe Axis. These usually but not always need to be scheduled ahead of time with very little availability for “same day” service. Was cheap when I used it but waits for driverto show up on the coming home end could be long. Also, there were usually other clients and I was often the last stop. I understand that the MA program is sometimes using UBer for some of these Rides.

Uber and Lyft you know about or can read up about. I have used Uber a lot in Boston. They show up in less than 5 minutes.

For my Mom, a social worker suggested gogo grandparents might be easier for her. I’m checking into it.

Another option would be to ask for a driver on the Nextdoor app. This would b someone you hire in your neighborhood. You could set up your requirements and pay.

Best to you,
    ANN
    Super good advice. Exactly the information I have been gathering. I use the same service for all long trips but need a service for local trips. Someone told me to call the senior center and ask
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Thank you for your ideas. If the VNA doesn’t work out, theses are other things to try. My area is rural, so the options are not going to be too vast.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"