Page 93 of 114 FirstFirst ... 184363838889909192939495969798103 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

This is transcript of the interview BBS1951 mentioned....

Senate Judiciary Committee member Ben Sasse, a Republican, listens to witnesses Monday during a subcommittee hearing on Russian interference.
    Eric Thayer/Getty Images
    When President Trump fired FBI Director James Comey on Tuesday, Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska was one of several Republicans in Washington voicing concern. As details unfolded throughout the week, Sasse, who sits on the Judiciary Committee, continued to call the timing of the firing "troubling," though he maintains there is not yet a need for an independent investigation or special prosecutor to look into Russian meddling in the 2016 election.

Of utmost importance, he tells NPR's Steve Inskeep, is shoring up the public's waning trust in American institutions.

"The timing of this firing I think is very troubling because there's obviously an active investigation into the president's campaign and organization and associates," he says. "And I just wish the president would spend much more time tending to this crisis of public trust."

Interview Highlights
    On what troubles him about the firing of Comey

We have a crisis of public trust in this country that is much deeper than just the last four months or the last 18 months. We have an erosion of a shared narrative about what America is about. And we have the huge unpopularity of almost all of our governing institutions. That should trouble everybody.

Condoleezza Rice: Institutions Aren't Perfect, But They're The Bedrock Of Democracy
    HISTORY OF OUR TIME
    Condoleezza Rice: Institutions Aren't Perfect, But They're The Bedrock Of Democracy
    The FBI is a really important institution in American life. We believe in three separate but equal branches. But our founders distinguished between legislative functions and executive functions and judicial functions. And so investigative and prosecutorial functions are in the second branch and so ultimately they report up to the president, but the FBI director has a 10-year term for a reason. He or she is not supposed to be thought of as a Republican or a Democratic actor but as an impartial investigator who doesn't really report through a chain of command that is ultimately political.

On future election meddling and the further erosion of trust

We need to know a lot more about 2016, but the thing that keeps me up at night is 2018 and 2020. We know what the Russians are trying to do. We know that technology around [information operations] is getting better and better.

Here's what I think comes next: I think you're going to start seeing data leaks in the 2018 and 2020 cycle that'll be Steve Inskeep's [as a fictional example of a candidate for office] credit card records. ... And it'll be 93 percent real stuff and 7 percent fabrications. And so it'll all be very plausible because you were in the city at that time and then you were away from work for this travel and you did X, Y and Z but then 7 percent of the credit card records will be "Why are you buying so much clothes at a women's clothing store in Chattanooga? That's weird, Steve. Your wife isn't in Chattanooga."

And I think what's going to happen is you're going to have a drip-drip-drip erosion of trust in almost every public official and almost every public institution. We should be losing sleep about that now before it starts happening, because Russia is doing this stuff to their near neighbors now. And the technology is going to get better and better.

On why there is not yet a need for an independent investigation

I'm not calling for that at this time. I'm open to that deliberation as we go forward because I think that would be a vote of no confidence in the Senate Intelligence Committee's investigation, and I think what the American people need is to have a restoration of their trust that some of our institutions can work.

Morning Edition editor Miranda Kennedy and producer Phil Harrell and Web producer Heidi Glenn contributed to this story.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 05-12-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member

I finally broke down and got a Chase/AARP credit card. They offered a promotion of $150 (one time) if $500 was bought and repaid the first 3 months. I thought it would be easy enough with purchase of gas, groceries, and restaurants. Then there is 3% back on the gas and groceries and 1% on everything else. I'll just have to keep a close watch on the running balance so that I can pay it off each month.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Special Counsel To Oversee Russia Probe

(((((( Hugs to All ))))))) ~

The chickens are coming home to roost in the White House.

DT asked Comey to drop the investigation of Flynn.

DT gave highly classified information to Russian big wigs.

The DOJ has appointed an independent special counsel to oversee the Russian election probe.

Sen. John McCain said that DT’s scandals have reached the “size and scale of Watergate.”

I followed every day of Watergate from the beginning to Nixon’s resignation.

DT’s scandal is Watergate on Steroids.

Meanwhile, DT whined pathetically that no President has been treated as “unfairly” as he has.

Lincoln, McKinley, Garfield, and JFK were assassinated. Reagan was nearly assassinated. Doesn’t that qualify as extremely unfair?

Or how about, President Obama, who was hounded during both of his terms by the birther conspiracy, fostered by none other than DT?

The night of President Obama’s inauguration, Congressional conservatives met and agreed to obstruct everything he would try to do. And now, they are repealing and rolling back everything he did, from the ACA to protecting our environment. While he isn’t in office any longer, destroying President Obama’s legacy is extraordinarily unfair.

Buckle your seat belts. Looks like it’s going to be a bumpy ride to the jail house.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Those chickens aren't coming home to roost fast enough. There's a spirit of hatred let loose in the land, and it's frightening.

It's always been there, of course. But this administration is setting the tone, and it's a hateful, mean, greedy tone.

This incident in Portland, OR, is just one of many I've heard about lately. A man on a public transit train yelled ethnic slurs at a couple of (presumably) Muslim women passengers, and when a couple of people tried to intervene, he stabbed two of them to death, and another was badly injured.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...r_stryheadline
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

I saw that on the news Agate. There are more accounts of things like that than we want to believe. I do think this administration and most especially the head of it is causing so much anger and hatred. I don't know when this country will heal.

If he leaves great - well maybe great, we will still have Pence and look at his background. He believes in conversion therapy and says it saved him personally. That is just one small thing about him. We have over 3 1/2 years to live with the stress and the anxiety, and in the meantime if DT is impeached people full of hate will blame people like us.

Look at the candidate in Montana who just won the special election there. When a lady was asked why she voted for him when the day before he had "body slamed" a reporter to the floor and broke his glasses, the lady replied that DT needed the republicans and she wanted to help him. Thank goodness a Fox reporter came forth who witnessed this. Any other network and they would not have believed them.

What is happening to our beautiful country?
    Virginia

Blog Entries

The country is in the hands of bullies and thugs. Seems to me that's what happened in Germany after 1933 too. It's always struck me that there was nothing uniquely evil about Germany or the Germans and that tyrants like the Nazis could come into power anywhere. It's mostly just a matter of the way the cookie crumbles in the country you're living in.

I hope we can get through the next 4 years without too much damage.

It's 3 years and about 7 months now, come to think of it.
    Last edited by agate; 05-27-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

That's a good comparison Agate, the way things unfolded in Germany with Hitler, and how things have unfolded with Trump. Both appointed people into high ranking positions, and they are implementing their agenda. We have some tough times ahead.

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...d-trump-215191

This is an interesting read about Jared Kushner. And here I hoped he would be a steadying force.

Cmon Congress-- throw these people out of office. Terrible leaders.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I was so saddened by the stabbing deaths of those good samaritans, who tried to protect the Muslim women. The perpetrator has been described as mentally ill, with a history of felonies from burglary to kidnapping. But his mom stated that he was a nice person.

Who riled up all of these hateful people? DT's Muslim ban, the Mexican border wall, and mocking a disabled reporter all feed this hatred and bigotry. When people are angry and unstable, and they've been brainwashed to believe that a billionaire and his billionaire cronies are going to make America great again and their lives better, bad things happen.

Yeah, this guy, the Leader of the Free World, behaves like this at a NATO summit:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/tru...summit-n764966

This is how DT's supporters behaved at his rallies, and he encouraged them to behave this way. So it isn't surprising that they elected the body slammer to Congress. And they are proud of it, too!

Jim caught a brief moment of a TV interview with some Alt Right group leader, who declared that if DT and his criminal clan are prosecuted, these DT supporters will take to the streets with violence. They have their guns, and they intend to use them.

Golden Boy son in law, Jared, is under the microscope now, and DT has a "war room" to fight against the investigation into this administration's ties to Russia.

Flynn pled the Fifth, but that isn't going to fly for Flynn. Supoenas on the way.

I pray that truckloads of evidence will lead to the conviction of DT and everyone in his regime. I can't believe that one single person in his administration isn't culpable. Spicer, Conway, Ivanka, the sons, the entire cabinet and advisers, and Pence. No clean hands among them. Nail 'em and Jail 'em!

A national disgrace and tragedy.

It's going to get much worse, long before it gets better, and it will take us a long time to heal and recover.

May justice prevail.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Rose, I've watched that video where Trump pushes the Prime Minister of Montenegro several times, trying to figure out what it is that I don't understand. Surely that isn't our US President acting as boorishly as some people are allowed to act in extremely crowded situations while saying "Excuse me please" on a subway or bus? But this isn't a subway or bus. It's a diplomatic meeting. So how is he getting away with it?

The others around him are apparently so polite that no one looks the slightest bit surprised. Or maybe what he's just done is acceptable in that situation?

Page 93 of 114 FirstFirst ... 184363838889909192939495969798103 ... LastLast