Page 51 of 138 FirstFirst ... 214146474849505152535455566181101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I am one who lost my insurance on Obamacare and ended up with higher premiums and less coverage. Between the $850 monthly premiums and $6500 deductible, that's about $16,500 out of pocket, before getting coverage. It was a cluster****, but I was willing to do it so that poor people could buy insurance for a very low price. Of course it did not work out that way for some. They paid very little for their insurance, but they cannot afford their deductibles and their co-pays, and therefore had trouble using their insurance. Obama care was not working out as well as hoped. However, I had hoped that Congress would keep working on it to get it to work better for everybody.

Now I am on Medicare. Therefore my costs have gone down significantly. It still cost a fair amount of money because of my tax bracket and expensive medications I am on. But I have no complaints. I think it is a fair system .

I am very scared that Congress will take away some of my benefits such as the IV IG therapy for MS. That just will not be affordable without Medicare.
    Last edited by BBS1951; 01-16-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Distinguished Community Member

BBS, is that just for you or you and your husband?
    Virginia

3. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

That's really crazy, BBS.

It's quite true that to reduce costs, you really do need a larger pool of healthy, young people with insurance to balance out the older or sick populations.

But the system isn't working if some are required to pay as much as BBS is, it really does need re-tooling to include more people to reduce any one individual's cost. I don't care how much money you have, that is a ridiculous cost for health insurance for anyone.

The cost of care itself needs to be reduced, there's a lot of unnecessary excesses in there that should be stripped out that could reduce healthcare costs.

5. The following 5 users say "thanks"

SuzeQ, if I am not mistaken I think health insurance is very expensive anywhere. Maybe not as expensive as some people who have Obamacare, but still very high.

I have a younger brother who turned 65 last March and he went on Medicare. His wife has more than 30 years with the State of N.C. and is continuing to work. Therefore, he is eligible to stay on her insurance as his SUPPLEMENTAL policy instead of going on a Medigap policy. He is paying well over $500.00 a month just for the supplement and he still has co-pays that he has to make for medicine and I think for Doctor office visits. He has not changed to a Medicare Supplement because he is concerned about the Prescription Part D and what is covers. I have tried to explain it to him, but for someone who is just not oriented in that direction he just doesn't understand all of it. But I think he is paying a very high price just for a supplemental policy and this has absolutely nothing to do with the ACA.
    Virginia

7. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am one who lost my insurance on Obamacare and ended up with higher premiums and less coverage. Between the $850 monthly premiums and $6500 deductible, that's about $16,500 out of pocket, before getting coverage. It was a cluster****, but I was willing to do it so that poor people could buy insurance for a very low price. Of course it did not work out that way for some. They paid very little for their insurance, but they cannot afford their deductibles and their co-pays, and therefore had trouble using their insurance. Obama care was not working out as well as hoped. However, I had hoped that Congress would keep working on it to get it to work better for everybody.

Now I am on Medicare. Therefore my costs have gone down significantly. It still cost a fair amount of money because of my tax bracket and expensive medications I am on. But I have no complaints. I think it is a fair system .

I am very scared that Congress will take away some of my benefits such as the IV IG therapy for MS. That just will not be affordable without Medicare.
    I am in the EXACT same situation. I lost my healthcare from "Obamacare" i.e ACA and was pissed because I thought it was supposed to make healthcare more accessible for a disabled person such as myself. Many of my friends who take life saving meds also found themselves barely able to afford the insurance.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-18-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

9. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I saw a few Facebook posts about this so I just want to say for the sake of anybody reading here who may be scared by the posts. The ACA and ADA are different things. The Americans With Disabilities Act will not be repealed!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is an interesting chart in this blogpost from the New England Journal of Medicine Catalyst (January 18, 2017), "Effects of Donald Trump's Health Care Reform Proposals":

http://catalyst.nejm.org/donald-trum..._hsmi=40860245
    Last edited by agate; 01-18-2017 at 11:36 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

13. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Have I been banned from posting to this thread? I've tried three times now to respond to folks about the ACA...and none of my posts have appeared. I refuse to talk here about the presidency, but thought it ok to talk about other issues..

I know several people with disabilities who, because of the ACA have been able to get insurance, and get medical care that had not been available to them before. Getting medication has been harder -- more expensive, but that's an issue with the pharmaceutical companies more than with the ACA.

15. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Dear Uppitycats,

You have not been banned. If you were, the word "Banned" would appear where the words "Distinguished Community Member" are now and you would have received a warning first and a private message.

It must have been a glitch and I'm sorry for that. If it keeps happening just pm me with the details.

Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BBS, is that just for you or you and your husband?
    That was just for me. And, I was on hold for SIX HOURS waiting to get BCBS insurance when I lost my old Cadillac plan because of Obamacare. I took the day off work and watched three movies on hold. And I was terrified my call would be dropped before talking with anyone.

Then, when Medicare started it took three tries over 5 weeks time to cANCEL BCBS. Then the mistakenly cancelled my husbands too, when they finally cancelled mine. That was another ridiculously weird experience.

19. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 51 of 138 FirstFirst ... 214146474849505152535455566181101126 ... LastLast