Page 4 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678914345479104 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, thank you for posting the interesting article. Earlier today I had signed a petition to do exactly what that article is suggesting--trying to sway the electoral college so that the orange hair wouldn't become POTUS.

But I did ask someone who has expertise in history and political science about the possibility that this could work. The answer was that the petition is a waste of time because the electors are usually very carefully chosen to make sure that they'll vote the way they've been pledged to vote--and for those electors, the chance to be casting this vote is a big deal. It's a moment in their lives when they know they're important.

They're not about to throw that moment away by being "faithless" electors.

I'm not so sure that this time it's a waste of time to try, though. This is truly an extraordinary case.

As for the meeting between Obama and Trump, I watched part of an analysis of that meeting on BBC News, noting that Obama was really very tense though he wasn't giving way to the tension. It must have been a very difficult situation for him, to put it mildly--after all that Trump has said about him.

They have to be hypocritical. Neither of them wants anyone panicking. Some segments of the population might be on edge right now, and there could be serious disturbances. There have been street demonstrations, and nobody wants them getting violent.

They want everyone to rest assured that the transition will be smooth and life will go on. I'm glad that they've both been able at least to pretend that the animosities of the campaign are in the past.

Trying to make sure that nobody gets hurt comes ahead of any dislike of hypocrisy sometimes.

Take heart, friends. This country has a strong Constitution which has some good safeguards built into it. If the man with the orange hair is as nearly demented as he has sometimes seemed, he may not last long. Or he will be surrounded by advisers who will keep the lid on him.

I understand that President Reagan was showing symptoms of Alzheimer's disease while in office but the public was unaware of how badly affected he was because those closest to him were adept at covering up the bad moments and trying to make sure that he didn't make too many blunders.

We survived him. And there have been quite a few other inept or clueless Presidents.
    Last edited by agate; 11-11-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Something I would like to do.

60 days after Trump has taken office, let's see how everyone feels about how Trump has done so far. Everyone here is still flying high on the propaganda about Trump that Hillary's team put out there in the hope that the people would buy into it.

The Election is over, Trump won which means that the majority of American's felt that Trump would take this country in the direction they felt was best.

I know that many of you voted Clinton not so much for the direction she wanted to take the Country, but because she's a woman. We finally elected a black to be President, and think he's done a good job, and the People felt so too because he was a 2 term President.

But now the People have spoken again, and feel Trump will do a better job leading the Country now than Clinton. Trump had votes from men and women, blacks and whites, all races, and backgrounds.

Time to stop arguing about the Election. It is over, it was close, but the majority have spoken.

I feel it's time for a woman to make serious run for the Whitehouse, but in my heart don't feel Hillary was the one. Put out feelers on women to run next time. Support them, do what you can to help them overcome the obstacles.

I have no Party. I am not a Republican, or Democrat, or any other party. I am an American.
    Last edited by Howie; 11-11-2016 at 12:35 AM.
    Roswell was a gift.

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, the orange one won the electoral college vote but did NOT win the popular vote. Clinton won the popular vote by over 200,000 votes.

No one here suggested that they voted for Clinton simply because she was a woman. I certainly did not. And I didn't need any propaganda coming from MSNBC or Fox to influence my vote -- the orange ones own words and actions, on tape, on video, were quite enough. It was not propaganda that he talked about groping women, barring Muslims, deporting people, mocking people with disabilities, challenging the legitimacy of the current president, racism, encouraging violence, reintroducing torture as an interrogation technique. It's all there to be watched and heard. Not to mention his personal life - married, an affair with a woman, divorce and marry her, have an affair with another woman, get her pregnant, divorce wife two and marry her, our new first lady-to-be, who worked illegally in this country before get a green card and thus herself would have been eligible for deportation before marrying the orange one and becoming a citizen.

His positions, such as they are, are available on his website -- repeal the ACA (with no plan to replace it), to bar Muslims, deport people, defund planned parenthood, bar refugees, lower tax rates for corporations and the wealthy, his stated view that climate change is a hoax, disrespected a war hero --of his own party!, disrespected a dead soldier and his family, and so on.

We don't have to wait 60 days to see how well he will do. We can see how he will do already by the people he is considering for various positions -- a guy who also doesn't believe in climate change, Giuliani who has become unhinged since 9/11, Sarah Palin who has proven herself to be an airhead, a general whose views on the military have been dismissed by a whole host of generals who actually know foreign policy, Christy who barely escaped criminal indictment for his own unethical behavior, his son who is as clues as his father, his son in law equally inept.

No, Howie, people didn't vote for Clinton just because she was a woman . She has indeed serious flaws. People voted AGAINST the orange one because he has no moral or ethical core, because he is a racist, a misogynist, because he has no real understanding of world affairs or a global environment, because he has little understanding of basic things like the bill of rights (demonstrated just last night when he tweeted yet another lie about the protests going on across the country), doesn't understand congress, doesn't understand the supreme court.

Politico, a highly respected non-partisan reporting service reported that he lied 79% of the time just on the campaign trail. Basically, he opened his mouth, welcomed the crowd, then the substance of his speech that followed was filled with lies. Verifiable "mis-statements" of facts. Clinton lied, too...less than 10% of the time.

No, I don't need propaganda to know that I will not have a different opinion of the orange one in 60 days, or 90 days, or four years, if he ( or I) lasts that long. He is looking to settle the lawsut against him in the orange one "university" trial, but there is still the trial that will come up before he is inaugurated in which he has been accused of raping a 13 year old girl. And then the issue of his 500 companies doing business world wide, and the impossible conflicts of interest they will raise when he starts meddling in foreign policy. So he may end up resigning before he is impeached, as Nixon did, or may be impeached but, unlike Bill Clinton, further indicted and removed from office. I can only hope..

Cool

It's important to have hope. Not even in office yet, and already he has given Cat hope.
    Roswell was a gift.

5. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Howie, my thoughts about DT were based in what he said at rallies, what he said in interviews, and what he has done with his life. Not on what the media said about him.

I no more voted for HRC because she is a female than I voted for Obama because he is Black. Maybe some did, but I certainly did not. I am sure you did not vote for DT because he is a male, so why think we voted for her because she is female?
    Last edited by BBS1951; 11-11-2016 at 04:00 AM.

Wink

I have the rope around my neck, if someone would just pull the trapdoor lever.

I regret that I have but one life to give for my forum......
    Roswell was a gift.

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Glad you think this is so funny, Howie. I sure don't.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I think it's hilarious! In a sad sort of way!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

11. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I think humor about lynching is in poor taste no matter what the context. But especially in poor taste when a racist has been elected as president. But never mind. I don't think HOwie intended harm.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I read Howie's post a while back and didn't even think of lynching. I had no idea that was what he was referring to. I thought he was just suggesting that he was feeling as if he was about to be hanged. Isn't hanging still legal as a form of capital punishment, having nothing to do with lynching, in some states? I thought that was the kind of hanging he meant.

At least we're still in a place where we can express ourselves freely, and I doubt that any US President could very easily put an end to that.

Even on this board, which used to be stricter about political posts than it is now, we can speak our minds and not be deleted or banned.

As someone who has known quite a few Holocaust survivors and people who have lived under Soviet domination, I am glad that we can disagree freely.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Page 4 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678914345479104 ... LastLast