Page 33 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3232829303132333435363738436383108133 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member

And of course there is that cliché ... He isn't a Muslim...not that it matters. In fact, it doesn't matter. There are in fact 2 Muslim Senators (or perhaps one is a representative), both natural born American citizens, thus both eligible to become president, should they choose. It's just that those opposing Obama use the word "Muslim" as if it was a four-letter word, as if it meant he was a terrorist, or something even more evil. Just as the Bible can be misinterpreted, or read in a variety of ways to indicate whatever the reader wants it to say, so can the Koran, but true Muslim faith is NOT violent, does NOT advocate violence against those who believe different, does NOT advocate killing ones enemies, any more than the Bible does (there are passages in the Bible that could make your blood curdle....not to mention all those begats of people sleeping with their children so as to further their family line). Yes, Muslims tend to be conservative, and yes their treatment of women could be vastly improved....but they are not all evil and dangerous. We are a nation that at least used to encourage freedom of religion. Interning Muslims as we did the Japanese, or shipping them back without due process, is wrong. Unamerican. Unacceptable to a lot of us. NOTE: No one here has advocated the internment, or mass deportation, or has suggested that Muslim = terrorist. This is just commentary.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

funnylegs, thank you for clearing up what you meant. When I read your post I thought you were saying that you believed Obama to be a Muslim, too, and now I see that that isn't what you meant.

I've always understand that Islam is a peaceable religion and that any terrorists in their midst are a lunatic fringe, maybe a bit like some of the right-wing extremists in the Christian faith who have committed violent acts. Many organized religions seem to spawn a few of these people, who get a lot of attention when they resort to violence but who are actually in a small minority.
    i don't trip--I do random gravity checks.

MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Blog Entries

Thanks for understanding agate. Even if Obama were a muslim it would not matter just as Cat Dancer noted. I was talking with my muslim friends about their faith and they explained to me that ISIS are not true muslims at all because they completely ignore certain parts of the Koran which describe what a "pure" muslim is. Apparently these scriptures deal with why muslims may not kill anyone or commit suicide. Most muslims are against suicide and assisted suicide(like the type of assisted suicide depicted in "Me Before You"). They also told me that the Koran teaches to accept difference such as disability. I have not read the Koran but this is what I was told.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I'm curious - to those who know or who are Trump supporters - is anything he's doing or saying or tweeting presently, or any of his political appointments and what they portend for the future, or recent stated positions - does any of this run counter to what was anticipated that he'd do?

Or is everyone still on board the Trump train despite the numerous potential issues that have arisen since he was elected and how, for example, he bought off Carrier to keep a few jobs in Indiana and exaggerated the actual # affected, rather than use the threats of tariffs that he promised to if companies took their operations out of country?

Or are Trump supporters happy with where he's leading the country by his actions already, despite not even being inaugerated yet?

Generally speaking, any idea where Trump supporters currently stand in terms of their election decision and ensuing results to date?

funnylegs, Obama has a history of being a Christian, yet still people are suspicious that he's a Muslim.

Yet, how does DT get away with having no history with religion, does not even know how to read Bible passages correctly, has stood for many freedoms and liberties towards the LGBTQ community, like a transgendered person should use the bathroom of their choice, etc., many anti-Republican, anti-Evangelical, anti-religious and amoral sentiments, yet HE gets a pass from these same people who continue to spread misinformation about Obama?

How does that work?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm curious - to those who know or who are Trump supporters - is anything he's doing or saying or tweeting presently, or any of his political appointments and what they portend for the future, or recent stated positions - does any of this run counter to what was anticipated that he'd do?

Or is everyone still on board the Trump train despite the numerous potential issues that have arisen since he was elected and how, for example, he bought off Carrier to keep a few jobs in Indiana and exaggerated the actual # affected, rather than use the threats of tariffs that he promised to if companies took their operations out of country?

Or are Trump supporters happy with where he's leading the country by his actions already, despite not even being inaugerated yet?

Generally speaking, any idea where Trump supporters currently stand in terms of their election decision and ensuing results to date?

funnylegs, Obama has a history of being a Christian, yet still people are suspicious that he's a Muslim.

Yet, how does DT get away with having no history with religion, does not even know how to read Bible passages correctly, has stood for many freedoms and liberties towards the LGBTQ community, like a transgendered person should use the bathroom of their choice, etc., many anti-Republican, anti-Evangelical, anti-religious and amoral sentiments, yet HE gets a pass from these same people who continue to spread misinformation about Obama?

How does that work?
    Yes. Seems to be the nature of politics these days. Whatever party they are determines what they can and cannot get away with. I don't think it is nearly as simple as racism against Obama though. As to your other question the few I have met like what he did with Carrier but do not believe he will fully repeal Affordable Care Act.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Thanks, funnylegs, appreciate the perspective!

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

What he did with Carrier was grandstanding. Carrier had already planned to do what they did....they just responded more quickly when he called them. They kept the 800 jobs (not 1,000) at that site...but shipped off 1,200 at their neighboring site. They played him: we'll do this, for a $7 million dollar tax break. Which the state had already negotiated with them (Pence is their governor, did the negotiating before he became a VP candidate). So all Trump did was take credit for plans already in place.

There are now several republican senators teaming up with democrats to block at least some of his cabinet appointments, and a bipartisan group ready to try to encourage electors to not vote for him come December 19. So yes, some republicans are disillusioned over him, their expectation that he would change have been crushed.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

I didn't think you were implying that you think that Obama is Muslim. I understood your point. I also understand your point that if he was hypothetically Muslim, you'd be fine with that. Unfortunately, many Americans wouldn't be fine with it, and I'm guessing that he would never have been elected, if he was Muslim. Or an Atheist. Or maybe even Jewish.

Here are two of many on line articles about a Trump supporter and other Muslim registry proponents, who suggested that Japanese internment camps set a precedent for a Muslim registry:

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/17/watc...justification/

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/politi...slim-registry/

It has been widely reported that hate crimes against Muslims, particularly Muslim women, have been occurring since the election, purportedly committed by Trump supporters.

DT stirred the pot on xenophobia and racism, threatening to deport Mexicans and Muslims, and to close America's doors to Muslims, who want to legally immigrate to the U.S.

I don't feel that his supporters distinguish between Muslims and ISIS. Hatred isn't logical or rational.

To me, the entire issue of religion in our government is in direct contradiction of separation of church and state, upon which our nation was founded. Some people mis-characterize the U.S. as a Christian nation. We're not. While the majority of our population identifies as Christian, we have a significant number of people who are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhists, etc. And since we have freedom of religion and separation of church and state, it is erroneous to label America as a Christian country.

If only all believers followed the tenents of their religion in terms of tolerance, acceptance and love of others, it would be a wonderful world. Tragically, extremists exist, so that ideal cannot be achieved.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-11-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

11. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuzE-Q View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

How does that work?
    ((((((SuzE-Q)))))) ~

I can't help it ... "Two Corinthians" walk into a bar ...

and your final question as to how Trump can get a pass where Obama can't:

Trump is white.

And he can get a pass where Hillary can't, because he'a a white man.

Yes, I believe that sexism and racism are thriving in our country. It's tragically evident.

That's why DT is the Elect. And Steve Bannon is his Chief Strategist.

Just my opinion ...

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 12-11-2016 at 03:33 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 49, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. Now, they watch over Jim and me.

13. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Exclamation

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Here’s what DT, as President-Elect (so hard to type that) is saying right now.

On Russia hacking the election and the CIA having “no idea":

“I think it’s ridiculous. I think it’s just another excuse. I don’t believe it. I don’t know why and I think it’s just ― you know, they talked about all sorts of things. Every week it’s another excuse. We had a massive landslide victory, as you know, in the Electoral College,” Trump said on “Fox News Sunday.”

“They have no idea if it’s Russia or China or somebody. It could be somebody sitting in a bed someplace. I mean, they have no idea,” Trump said.

On Climate Change:

President-elect Donald Trump said in an interview airing Sunday that “nobody really knows” the facts about climate change, even though there’s widespread scientific consensus on the issue.

“It’s not something that’s hard and fast,” Trump said on “Fox News Sunday.” “I do know this: other countries are eating our lunch.”

Trump said he’s “studying” the Paris agreement, a joint effort by nearly 200 countries to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

“I don’t want that agreement to put us at a competitive disadvantage with other countries,” Trump said.

On being “too smart” to need daily Intelligence Briefings:

“I don’t have to be told ― you know, I’m, like, a smart person. I don’t have to be told the same thing in the same words every single day,” Trump said in an interview airing on “Fox News Sunday.” “I don’t need to be told ... the same thing every day, every morning ― same words. ‘Sir, nothing has changed. Let’s go over it again.’ I don’t need that.”

Trump is reportedly only receiving an intelligence briefing just once a week. The president-elect said the people who are giving him the briefings are “very good people” and that he was always available if something changed. He also said that Vice President-elect Mike Pence was receiving the briefings.

President Barack Obama has a briefing six days a week.

Love & Light,

Rose

15. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 33 of 269 FirstFirst ... 3232829303132333435363738436383108133 ... LastLast