Page 141 of 229 FirstFirst ... 416691111131136137138139140141142143144145146151171191216 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 2287

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, this wouldn't be the same doctor, would it?

https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/phy.../73377/summary
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, thanks that is him. I can tell by address. Do you see what I mean by General Payments. Almost $100,000 and this does not count the research payments he received. I bet most all of it came from Biogen. At least it use to. No one can tell me they are not deep in his pockets.

In addition to Avonex they are the infusion center for this whole area, which as a longtime partner in the firm he would be getting a hefty amount.

Believe me BBS, this is not due to any low insurance payments. It has been going on, from what I have been told, every since I was diagnosed with MS. My own Doctor told me that if I went to him for a 2nd opinion that I all I would hear was Avonex, Avonex, Avonex. I could tell he wanted me to go to someone else for 2nd opinion. That is not to say that my old Doctor did not want me on Avonex, but when the association is that close there probably will not be a lot of choice to you - unless you, yourself diagnose what medication you need and point blank ask for it.

As you can tell I get angry just thinking about this Doctor.
    Virginia

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, you can see the breakdown showing where his payments are coming from if you click on the Payment Information tab instead of the Summary tab. Also, you can see several other years if you look at the dropdown menu on the left. In 2014, for instance, he received well over $1,365,000 in research money, mainly from Biogen, but then Biogen has several MS drugs.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Regardless Agate, it seems excessive to me. This Doctor, as far as I know or have ever known, is not in research. There were lots of rumors regarding him and the drug companies in the 90s. and I guess it soured me.

I just wish a young 19 year old just diagnosed had another Doctor, but this is not something that I will get into because I do not want her to loose confidence in the Doctors she is going to be seeing through the years. Also, her Aunt is just a friend, this is not in my family.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

My Neuro also is very high. But he never pushes Lemtrada or Aubagio, his two top payers. But he did push Ocrevus last week and gets dough big time from Biogen.

It may be different then your neurologist, however. I totally trust my neurologist and he has shown good judgment with me. This is different than the one you are talking about in North Carolina. Have you shared your concerns with her aunt?

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I kind of casually mentioned that it was something to watch out for.

I had a friend who was diagnosed when she was about 40. She went to him and he put her on Avonex, but never took the time to fill out the paper work so she could get it. She had very good insurance that paid everything except a small co-payment. She started researching and found what was said about getting on medication the sooner the better. She called his office to no avail. He was out of town much of the time. Anyway, it went on until she threatened to sue him. She asked for her money back, which she did not get. However she owed a small co-pay from her last visit and they wrote that off. Needless to say, she went to another Doctor.

They say he is too busy with the drug companies, especially Biogen, to take the time to see his patients.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, some doctors are industries. They're set up as corporations and may employ quite a large number of people. This doctor seems to be the principal investigator of at least one large research grant. Whether he's actively involved in the research is another matter. He might be just the person named as principal investigator, and others are employed to do the actual work. In any case, he has accepted considerable sums of money from the drug companies.

I think you're right to caution people about him. Even if what he's doing is totally open and aboveboard, it's still being questioned by a lot of people, and all of that management of funds is obviously keeping him too busy to tend to his patients very well.

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Angry

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

In Montecito, California, 19 people have perished from mudslides following heavy rain in the Thomas fire area. Five people are still missing. Many have lost their homes in the fire and the mudslides.

Through all of this, our Tweeter in Chief has been silent. Not one word of condolence or shallow, insincere “thoughts and prayers.” No offers of federal assistance. After all, California did not elect him. So there!

He’s been too busy spewing racial slurs against “$&!t hole” countries, like Haiti and various African nations. Why can’t we get immigrants from Norway?

In response, a Norwegian tweeted to DT, “We don’t want to come to your country. We have health care for all, family leave, free education, and gun control that works!”

Then, there is the sordid stuff ~ the behind the scenes noir book, “Fire and Fury,” which has everyone in DT’s fraudulent government circle scrambling to deflect the blows to DT and his clown car cronies with lies. Not to mention an adult film actress, who claims DT abused her about a year after his marriage to Melania, the unseen First Lady. And another actress with a similar claim cropped up today. Meanwhile, Ivanka joins the Golden Globes MeToo and Time’s Up movement on Twitter. Clueless. Complicit.

Don’t forget DT appearing at the College Football Championship game, attempting to sing the Star Spangled Banner, but unable to get past the first two lines. One of his sons tweeted, “That’s how it’s done!”

He refused to go to the UK to “cut the ribbon” on the new U.S. embassy, claiming that President Obama spent millions on it, when, in fact, President G.W. Bush is responsible for the new embassy. Evidently, the Brits weren’t unhappy about his cancellation.

And just today ~ a false warning in Hawaii of a nuclear missile heading directly toward the islands. Hawaiians and visitors were told that they had 15 minutes to get to a safe shelter. Children were shoved into sewer holes, as people ran for their very lives from the impending doom.

Just imagine being an Hawaiian today. The reality is that a nuclear missile would wipe out the entire state, and the volcanoes on the islands would erupt. How in the world do you escape that in 15 minutes? Or at all?!

Ironically, Jim was watching a movie on TMC last night, and between films, TMC ran a short called “Duck and Cover” from the 1950s. I lived through that nightmare and asked Jim to turn it off. We live about 30 miles from L.A., a potential target evidently of nuclear attack, and Jim and I have discussed what we’d do, if we, like the Hawaiians today, were told we had 15 minutes to find shelter. We would go into Jon’s room and hold him and each other until it was over.

Yet, not one word today from the Tweeter in Chief in support of the Hawaiians, who experienced this trauma, nor any offers of federal assistance to make sure that Hawaii’s warning system protocol is sound and safe.

How and when will this end? And, why must we, the American people, contend with this debacle?

I cannot take another 3 years of this. I cannot. I have no choice, obviously. Unless a nuclear missile strikes L.A. Problem solved.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 01-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad.

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This man is so busy calling attention to himself with outrageous comments that major problems like the ones you mentioned, Rose, are being overlooked. We have Donald Trump at the center of the stage, constantly, and if he isn't there--if a mudslide or hurricane or whatever happens to be bumping him into the background, he'll be right back there in the spotlight soon enough.

Yes, it looks as if he did forget some of the lyrics to the national anthem. Or else he was saving his voice. You need your voice if you do a lot of tweeting, maybe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-can...p+news+stories

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And yet, it doesn’t mean he is biased. Many docs no longer can earn what they did due to insurance reimbursement rate cuts. So they supplement it.
    Such as my neuro. He is right up there with Steven Friedman (sp?), but has never pushed meds onto me. My guess is he is supplementing income. I see what Medicare pays him, and in my opinion, it is not what he should earn given his ability and training.

So, its a red flag, but only one thing to look at when shopping for a neuro, IMO.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 141 of 229 FirstFirst ... 416691111131136137138139140141142143144145146151171191216 ... LastLast