Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621416186111 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Cool

:) I went on Facebook and kept trying to find out how to unfriend someone. My DIL's Mom keeps sending me Trump stuff. At the top right of the screen is a little arrow, you click that, then settings and finally you get a screen where you can type the person's name. I did it and I may unfriend another one or two. I wish I had done it weeks ago. I only have about 20 and most are family. Jeanie :)

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, that is a good resource to have. Thanks for posting the link on how to contact our representatives.

The orange one did well on "60 Minutes", last night and I had hoped that he might rethink some of his appointees, such as Steve Bannon and Rudy Giuliana. But that is not to be, at least for now. Looks like they are his picks.
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~ During his campaign, P-Elect declared that if he didn't win, there would be blood in the streets. He won; there is blood in the streets. I feel that he set the tone for this, when he ejected protesters from his rallies. Some were assaulted, and all were vilified by his rally supporters. I know you read my post up thread about him ejecting a 12 year old boy with CP and his mom. He told security to "GET THEM OUT!"

In contrast, when a Trump supporter appeared at a rally with President Obama, and the crowd jeered, the President asked them to "Hold On! He's wearing a uniform, so he's served our country. He's elderly. Show some respect." That protester was not dragged out of that rally.

P-elect can tell people in a "60 Minutes" interview to stop violently protesting. But he revved up his supporters for nearly 1 1/2 years to respond with hatred, and this is the result.

People protesting against him are in fear of their lives ~ their health care, their jobs, their freedom. His supporters are spreading graffiti everywhere saying "Whites Only." This is a reversion to the 1950s, which I remember vividly. It is frightening.

Clearly, our country is severely divided. If we cannot have peace among ourselves, how do we hope to have peace world wide?

I feel that voters on both/all sides feel like they are losing something or have lost something they wish to regain. People, who voted for third party candidates, attempted to make a statement, knowing their candidates had zero chance of winning. The differences between the two major parties, socially and politically, are extreme. Every American had a stake in the outcome of this election. Now, they are responding.

I think that America is imploding. I want to be hopeful and believe that all will work out to the greater good. Unfortunately, what is happening now is just the beginning of what awaits us. And, I am afraid. Very afraid.

But I continue to pray for peace and reconciliation. It's all that I can do right now.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Sorry. I thought his interview was yet another example of his blatant hypocrisy. Talk is cheap. He does the interview, then appoints Bannon to be a chief advisor. So far all of the people named for key positions reflect his xenophobic, homophobic, misogynistic views. He names his children to key posts, wants them to have top secret security clearance. The violence his campaign engendered will continue until he is no longer in office.

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Canada has to want you. You have to have a skill that they are seeking and even then go on a list of others w that some skill

I think this was part of the NAFTA agreement, wasn't it, which, according to the orange one's campaign commitment, he'll be ripping up anyway.
    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 11-16-2016 at 02:39 AM.

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanie Z View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :) I went on Facebook and kept trying to find out how to unfriend someone. My DIL's Mom keeps sending me Trump stuff. At the top right of the screen is a little arrow, you click that, then settings and finally you get a screen where you can type the person's name. I did it and I may unfriend another one or two. I wish I had done it weeks ago. I only have about 20 and most are family. Jeanie :)
    If you dont want to offend, you can unclick the follow button which then takes their comments off your news feed. Then, you won't see their comments at all, and they won't be offended by being unfriended.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

That hurts Ann. You mean Canaada may not want lovable me?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Do you have a skill that they are short on, Sally? I don't nor does husband.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Suz-

Why is my quote at the top of your rant?
    Have you given up free chocolate?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Many people here, maybe all of us, wouldn't be able to get into Canada. I looked into this back in the Reagan years, which was a long time ago. The situation may have changed but it's probably become more restrictive. Back then I was told that I'd need to have a guaranteed job waiting for me there in Canada or at least $100,000--neither of which is likely to happen.

Maybe Canada needs translators of Russian but they're more likely to need interpreters, and translators aren't interpreters. Interpreting is a different skill, one I don't have, and in fact it's only truly bilingual people who have that skill, or else people with many years of practice.

The translating I can do any more is so slow that most people aren't interested. They want jobs done with a firm deadline.Every few years or so I get a small job from a company in France. They have some articles on how the Russians deliver hearing care to deaf people in the remote parts of their country. Over the last 20 years I've translated about 5 of those articles. Other than occasional research projects I've been paid to take part in, that's been the sum total of my earned income in that time, and before that it wasn't any better though it was different.

Between about 1981 and 1996 I had fairly steady translating work from several sources but I had far more than I could handle and often was told that I was too slow. My eyes and hands and mind don't work as well as they did before MS. In a couple of years I actually earned about $1,000. Most years it was only several hundred $ but it was quite helpful to me at the time.

I doubt that Canada would find much use for me. Sad but true.

Oops! I said I'd stay out of this thread....

But since I'm here, this is for SuzE-Q:

I'm glad you have stated your thoughts so eloquently. It's frightening to think that even the water might no longer be safe to drink.

I'm hoping that those Republicans who disliked the President-elect will pull some political strings to keep him in check. I'm fervently hoping.

As for unfriending FB friends, I did that with only one person, someone I've had only a few e-mail contacts with, years ago, and never knew her very well. I've hidden people from my Timeline whenever I felt that their posts were making it more difficult to see the posts I was more interested in. But in this instance, since I "knew" this person so slightly and had visited her page and found there a lot of disturbing rhetoric that I disagreed with, I thought it best to end that particular "friendship."

I'm not the sort of person who believes that "it's my way or the highway." But I do like to stay out of conflicts, which are upsetting to me, and so I back off if I sense that someone is likely to say things that I'd like to take exception to--on the Internet. I'm probably not going to change anyone's mind anyway.

In person, though, if I see that someone is being bullied or treated unfairly I do try to speak up, no matter how upsetting that will be for me. I think I'm obligated as a US citizen to do what I can for any underdogs in our midst. I'm luckier than many others in this country. I owe it to them to help them if I can. I'm very limited in what I can do but every little bit helps, even if it's just wearing a safety pin to let people know that I still think of the US as a safe harbor for all kinds of people, and we were all immigrants or our ancestors were.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621416186111 ... LastLast