No announcement yet.

Infusion IVIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS, find out what your max rate is that results in 5-6 hours infusion duration, then check the machine face regularly, and also ask the nurse if s/he's touching it during the infusion: "what rate is it programmed at?"

Knowing your acceptable infusion rate so you can monitor the machine yourself will give you greater peace of mind!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Thanks Suze, I will def do this.

Comment

Originally posted by BBS1951 View Post
        Thanks Suze, I will def do this.
        Hi,
        The infusion rate is important. The nurse has several buttons to press to change the rate. It is common to start at a lower rate and then bump it up every hour or so. Since I had no problems we eventually started mine at 200 and ran it at that the whole time.

The only time I had a problem was the once when they forgot to give me the premeds. We stopped the infusion when I was in trouble, added the premeds, started the infusion again and all was well. I hope your routine develops a pace that gives you an easy infusion!
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Thanks Laz.

Comment

This post has nothing to do with this thread, but as I was reading "I thought what I see here is people helping other people". I see it throughout the forum.
            Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
              This post has nothing to do with this thread, but as I was reading "I thought what I see here is people helping other people". I see it throughout the forum.
              Yes! It's one of the things I like so much about this board.

Comment

:) BBS if you get 1000 cc's set at 200 cc's it would run 5 hours. To go 6 you need to drop the rate to 165 cc's per hour. Like someone said the front of the machine should give you the information including the drop rate. If the nurse is not running it at the prescribed rate the doctor set she is in violation of nursing standards and should be reported to her superiors and your doctor.

Depending on how many bags you get in one visit. Most of the bags are 1000 cc's. If you get two bags in 6 hours it should run at 330 cc's per hour. Jeanie :)

Comment

Thanks Jeannie. I am copying your post too for my next infusion... I am angry at the staff about this. Why would they do this against the orders? Do they get more free time by moving me out sooner? Two less blood pressure checks?

The heck of it is that now I am the troublemaker. I worry they can take it out in me with the needle sticking. But I was not going to not assert myself, after all I am the one with the side effects, not them.

How can one trust staff that lies to me?

I will mention it in my next neuro visit, but I doubt he can do anything about that.

And then there was a nurse who washed her hands, then touched a non sterile lotion container and rubbed lotion on her hands, and then pulled her gloves on before coming over to take out the needle last month.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie Z View Post
                    :) BBS if you get 1000 cc's set at 200 cc's it would run 5 hours. To go 6 you need to drop the rate to 165 cc's per hour. Like someone said the front of the machine should give you the information including the drop rate. If the nurse is not running it at the prescribed rate the doctor set she is in violation of nursing standards and should be reported to her superiors and your doctor.

Depending on how many bags you get in one visit. Most of the bags are 1000 cc's. If you get two bags in 6 hours it should run at 330 cc's per hour. Jeanie :)
                    So the digital number on the front of the machine is the rate?

Comment

:) I'm not sure what the IV machines today show on the front. It could be the cc's or the drops per minute. I have not used one since the mid 80's and they are changed now. Ask them what amount of cc's are being infused in an hour and to explain what the front of the machine is showing. You have the right to know. Jeanie :)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanie Z View Post
                        :) I'm not sure what the IV machines today show on the front. It could be the cc's or the drops per minute. I have not used one since the mid 80's and they are changed now. Ask them what amount of cc's are being infused in an hour and to explain what the front of the machine is showing. You have the right to know. Jeanie :)
                        Hi again,
                        All the bags used at the center where I go, whether for MS or other ailments, are bags containing 10g.
                        The neurologist may not have indicated the infusion rate. At the infusion center I go to, the nurses have some discretion. There are general perimeters.

Anyway, I could easily have requested a different nurse. I forget if you did that or not. But I have found the nurses at infusion centers to be the most professional and knowledgeable. So, take a deep breath and I hope you land in a place where you can take advantage of their experience. The center I go to has about 50 stations set in three pods so there are about a dozen people getting infusions in each section. Within that section there are several nurses and lots of aids. The majority of the patients are getting infusions for cancer. Staff is professional and empathetic. I hope this becomes your experience!!
                        Last edited by Lazarus; 03-05-2017, 03:59 AM.
                        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

The staff are all RNs. This one nurse is the only one whom I found to be hostile and argumentative with me, right from the moment she met me.

I have a theory on it. My prior nurse told me that when I arrive, if she doesn't come out, ask the receptionist for the chart and just come back cuz sometimes the receptionist email doesn't get to her due to tech problems.

The following week I tried that, but receptionist said she couldn't because my nurse hadn't told her. So, I passed that info on to the RN and she said she would let the receptionist know.

The next time I came, the receptionist was very cold toward me. (It was odd. She continues to be cold toward me still.) prior to this she had been warm.
                          That was the day unbeknownst to me a different RN was assigned to me, which I was yet unaware of. So, when she was running 15 mimites late (I am the first appointment of the morning), I asked if my RN knew I was out there. That's when I learned that it was a different RN. No problem, I thought.

Then, that RN came out and was hostile the moment I greeted her with a hello and "I hope you had a nice Christmas" and it went downhill. I remained warm and cheerful despite her hostility, hoping it would change. She was lovely and Warm to all other patients. Very weird.

At that point I womdered if the receptionist poisoned her toward me and said something untrue, maybe like "Patient is very angry you aren't here and angry you are your nurse"....

There you have it.
                          Last edited by Sunshine; 03-05-2017, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I'd flat out ask her.

ANN
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
                              I'd flat out ask her.

ANN
                              Ask who? And what would you say?

Comment

Is there a reason you seem unfriendly today?

This let's her know that her actions are being received loud and clear and gives her the chance to clear the air. As Vicky's tag line says, it may not be about you. But it does sound like it is.

ANN
                                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Working...
                                X