Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456781333 ... LastLast

Thread: OT October Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, your hermit lifestyle is more likely why you don't encounter colds and flus, more than your understanding of the immune system. I get probably one cold in winter, and sometimes a second in summer. I've avoided the flu for the most part, but then I've gotten the flu virus every year for years, too. I got colds much more often when we had lots of visitors, and I was out and about, working and doing volunteer work. Now that I haven't done that, I haven't gotten sick, or if I have, it's been a pretty minor cold, 3-4 days in duration.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay then.....your feet stink! There!!!
    Mine don't! At least I can't smell em. LOL!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Good point Cat, but I wasn't always a Hermit. I was very outgoing, and mingled with many of you germ spreaders, but never got sick!

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mine don't! At least I can't smell em. LOL!
    Wow Sally, it's a good thing you can't. I wish we all were so lucky not to smell your feet! SOMEONE OPEN A WINDOW!!!
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Howie a hermit? He's always going out to stores and other places. He's very much the man about town. Everywhere you look, there's this guy in a thong.

Cat, it's odd how shots affect people differently. I had no problem with the shingles vaccine at all but was badly wiped out by the pneumonia vaccine. It was worse than any flu shot reaction I've had, and some flu shots have meant a week or more of feeling rotten and aching.

This time it's been mild. My arm's still quite sore, 5 days after the shot, but the achy feverish feeling seems on the way out. I've switched from Tylenol to aspirin because I prefer aspirin. I think it works better but the flu shot people always tell you to take Tylenol for any shot side effects.

So I take Tylenol for as long as the side effects are pretty bad but as soon as I'm better I'm back to aspirin.

Today I didn't think I'd be able to do this but I actually got to the farmer's market with my son and DIL. We went to a bigger and better one than I've ever been to and had a really nice time looking at all of the food.

I came home with an acorn squash, two ears of corn, some cherry tomatoes (combined yellow and red), brussels sprouts, many types of apples, a bell pepper, and a Japanese pear, which I've never tried. And a fairly large new potato.

They had live music (country and western) and stalls selling artisan bread (at a hefty price) and even varieties of butter. Everyone was agreeable and in a good mood and not minding the occasional raindrop. I used my walker and the kids helped by carrying the things I bought. (The "kids" are in their 40s.)
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

Darn kids, walking around all young and everything.

What's a good OTC pain medication? I take two prescribed pain meds for my shoulder, but if I miss a dose, or am late, I will know it pretty fast. I take Ibuprofen for my lower back, but that's starting to not work as well.

Aren't the Doan's pills for back pain mostly Aspirin? I have no trouble with Aspirin. I need something, hurting all the time is getting old....or I am.

Agate, I'll bet if you made me a good meal with all that food you got, it would really make me feel better.
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love aspirin. I use enteric-coated aspirin. I take 4 a day routinely for arthritis, more if I'm in pain for some other reason.

I've never tried Doan's pills. They're not the same as aspirin but, like aspirin, they're an NSAID--and can irritate your insides. They're magnesium salicylate. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid.

Extra-strength Tylenol was what I took for Avonex side effects because that's what was recommended but I didn't like the way it made me feel. Hard to explain--a bit spacey, maybe?

If Tylenol is recommended over aspirin by some medical provider, that's what I'll take but only for as long as I have to. I've heard some negative things about Tylenol.

I always take 2 325mg aspirin pills at a time. One pill just doesn't work as well.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

Tylenol has never worked for me. I guess I can try the smallest bottle of Doan's to see if they do me any good. It's like the MS drugs, certain ones work for some, but not others. And OTC must be the same, it works for some but not others. I guess that's why there are so many different drugs for the same thing.

I'm eating way over the recommended dose of Ibuprofen, but I have to for it to work. And now it's starting to not work, and I can't increase the dose higher than it is. A rock and a hard place.
    Last edited by Howie; 10-02-2016 at 04:09 PM.
    Roswell was a gift.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

What is the name of your prescribed drug. From there, we might be able to help you better.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

What a day we had,, I was informed, by Joes family,, get ready for company,, we had 30 people here,, Joes sister who is sic,, wanted a hayride/cookout,, so we had the family over. all I had to do help was a grill/hayracks,, everybody else brought the rest,,,, and she rode the horse,,it was a beautiful day,,,,,,, now we do Thanksgiving next week
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Aleve worked the best for me against the side effects I had with Avonex.

20. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 123456781333 ... LastLast