Thread: ECTRIMS 2016: Survival and mortality in MS: 60-year longitudinal population study

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default ECTRIMS 2016: Survival and mortality in MS: 60-year longitudinal population study

Over 60 years, 1388 people with MS were followed. Seems we're still averaging a somewhat shorter life span compared to other people (about 7 years less, on average). We can be encouraged by this final sentence:

However, an encouraging decrease in mortality was observed during the last 40 years.

Presented as poster session #303 at the annual ECTRIMS conference (London, September 14-17, 2016):

Survival and mortality in multiple sclerosis: a 60-year longitudinal population study

H.M. Lunde1, J. Assmuss2, K.-M. Myhr3,4, L. Bø3,4, N. Grytten4

1Department of Clinical Medicine, KG Jebsen MS Research Centre, University of Bergen, 2Competence Centre for Clinical Research, 3Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, The Norwegian Multiple Sclerosis Centre, 4Department of Clinical Medicine, KG Jebsen MS Research Centre, University of Bergen,Norway, Bergen, Norway

Introduction:

Mortality studies in MS have shown inconsistent results. We aimed to investigate survival, and mortality in a population based multiple sclerosis (MS) cohort.

Methods:

The study comprised all incident MS patients (N=1388) with onset during 1953-2012 in Hordaland County, Western Norway. Patient information was obtained from patient records at Haukeland University Hospital and linked to the Norwegian Causes of Death (COD) registry. Survival and patient characteristics (sex, age, disease course) were estimated by Kaplan-Meier analyses from birth and from disease onset. Mortality in MS relative to the general population was examined using standardized mortality ratio (SMR).

Results:

Of 1388 patients, 291 had deceased, mainly of MS (56.4 %). Median survival age was 74.7 years in MS and 81.8 years in the general population (p< 0.001). Women had longer median life expectancy (77.2 years) than men (72.2 years, p=0.003) and patients with relapsing remitting MS (RRMS) survived longer ( 77.8 years) than patients with primary progressive MS (PPMS) (71.4 years, p< 0.001). Median survival from disease onset was longer in RRMS (42.8 years) than in PPMS (25.5 years, p< 0.001). Overall SMR was 2.71 ( 95 % CI: 2.4, 3.0); in RRMS 2.4 ( 95 % CI: 2.1, 2.7) and 3.9 (95 % CI: 3.1, 4.7) in PPMS. SMR from disease onset during 1953-1974 was 3.1 (95 % CI: 2.7, 3.6), during 1975-1996, 2.6 (95 % CI: 2.2, 3.1) and during 1997-2012: 0.7 (95 % CI: 0.3,1.5).

Conclusion:

The longest follow-up period of 60 years on survival and mortality in MS is here reported. MS had a 7-year lower median survival age than the general population. Risk of death was almost threefold higher in MS relative to the general population. However, an encouraging decrease in mortality was observed during the last 40 years.

Hanne Marie Bøe Lunde: nothing to disclose
    Jorg Assmuss: nothing to disclose
    Kjell-Morten Myhr: nothing to disclose
    Lars Bø: nothing to disclose
    Nina Grytten: nothing to disclose
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

The older I get the more I am enjoying those simple little events in life...cleaning the kitchen, taking Moxie to the dog park which is only 5 minutes away, coloring something in my coloring book.....and the more I look at bigger tasks and think I'll save those tasks for my next life.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I'm still here an hopping....LOL
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"