Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jul97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd never say it was the only cause of autism./ There are many causes of CP, there's many causes of autism, I feel vaccines are one.. Controversial but..

Sorry about your friend miscarrying.
    I know you didn't. Sorry if I sounded harsh. My bad! Autism from what I have seen is a form of brain damage(though there's some scientific debate on that),and yes like CP it must have multiple causes. Thank you. My friend went on to have another perfectly healthy child a year later.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 02-08-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

Good article about the "Hero" episode http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/ent...b0e58057fdc342
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Default Speechless 2/15

I liked tonight's

I wish JJ would loose his aide; when he's in college he won't have one, when he has a job he won't have one. But that probably won't happen.

I also think JJ's character is incredibly immature; when you are 16-you are almost an adult, JJ had very little understanding of two issues tonight.. One, people have lives. The last few times I was in hospital as a teen, my main PT only worked 3 days a week there, the other 2 she worked for a school district. At 15, this didn't through me for a loop-cause I was 15! I wasn't 4.

Second communication is only one issue. I feel JJ's character should use a device w a voice, and I thought the device shown tonight was cool. Wish I could have a device w a human voice, should I chose to use one. Long story as to if I am an AAC device user, but one of the things I hate about the ones I've dabbled w is the voice is creepy to me.

So he should use a more advanced device, just like using a power chair, not being totally dependent on others to push him. But, there's like 20 to 50 things his aide does for him. I'd love to see JJ work through how is he going to get lunch, take notes, access his locker, use the bathroom, w more remote support. Not just oh I have a voice output now so no more aide. Again he's not six.
    Last edited by jul97; 02-15-2017 at 07:40 PM.

Blog Entries

My review of the Valentines Day episode: I thought JJ’s candy/chocolate problem was very funny and I liked that they depicted the parents working on their marriage/relationship with each other because it’s important for couples to do that. I thought Dylan was really mean to Ray for leading him on like that but the ending scene between them was sweet. There are moments where this show still feels like it squeezes in too many plots into one episode. I also found it a bit strange that JJ had enough motor control all of a sudden to eat chocolate out of boxes. It doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jul97 View Post
    I liked tonight's

I wish JJ would loose his aide; when he's in college he won't have one, when he has a job he won't have one. But that probably won't happen.

I also think JJ's character is incredibly immature; when you are 16-you are almost an adult, JJ had very little understanding of two issues tonight.. One, people have lives. The last few times I was in hospital as a teen, my main PT only worked 3 days a week there, the other 2 she worked for a school district. At 15, this didn't through me for a loop-cause I was 15! I wasn't 4.

Second communication is only one issue. I feel JJ's character should use a device w a voice, and I thought the device shown tonight was cool. Wish I could have a device w a human voice, should I chose to use one. Long story as to if I am an AAC device user, but one of the things I hate about the ones I've dabbled w is the voice is creepy to me.

So he should use a more advanced device, just like using a power chair, not being totally dependent on others to push him. But, there's like 20 to 50 things his aide does for him. I'd love to see JJ work through how is he going to get lunch, take notes, access his locker, use the bathroom, w more remote support. Not just oh I have a voice output now so no more aide. Again he's not six.
    I haven't seen the 2/15 episode yet so I can't comment yet. So sorry for the delay. I'm just busy working. I will say though that at 16 I was very immature myself compared to now. As for a talking device I am told they are EXTREMELY expensive and JJ's family is depicted as not exactly swimming in cash so that may explain the lack of AAC use. I agree the computer voices on the devices sound annoying and creepy to me but if I lost my speech somehow I would gladly use AAC if I could afford it. Actually I do know a 20 something who has a private aid for social outings who is like JJ. He makes money as a computer programer or something. Brooke Ellison also had her mother as her aid in college so it may be possible for people to have aids in college. Not sure. More later.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 02-18-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Default Speechless 2/22

Overall I disliked the Oscar Party Episode Because:
    • I dislike the concept of 'special needs' groups for kids. I appreciate parents may or do need them. I've never went through one day everything is fine, and then the next your young child has a lifelong diagnosis that you barely heard of. I cannot imagine going through that, and whatever parents need, of course. My mom was apart of a lot of that stuff I was young. If she needed it, of course! But even when I was six it felt weird to me. Given both mom's and I's needs are equal, I was happy her involvement tapered as I got into middle/high school. I never liked the little get every kid w a diagnosis together thing, no. Again, it always bothered me. So for me, if parents need to gather, which I 100% understand, leave the kiddos home.

• The families with kids w diagnosis's are a mess, in that they have messy houses, tattered clothes etc... It promotes a bad stereotype! There's so many factors as to how people live! Whatever your standard of living was prior to finding out your child has issues, it will probably remain the same. I know there's many acceptations to this generalization. But...

Now this is from the perspective of a disabled adult. There may be an element of denial of how hard it was to raise me; cause it's hard to live with I put my parents through so much extra, above and beyond what it takes to raise a typical child. That's just a hard issue for me. The adults in my life always acted as if it's no big deal, so this inner struggle doesn't come from elders acting like I was a burden... It's just when I hear how hard it is, mostly I just empathize with whatever situation I am hearing, I am fine. What I try to do. The thinking of every disability and family system is different mostly keeps my mind out of the dark side. But if I strip, "ohh they're different because--." I feel guilt even though I know it's not my fault or sadness for my parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/sibs.

What I did like: Kenneth having to do 55 different things to make the game accessible for people w all different abilities. The was cute. I am sure I'll encounter that should I ever win the Powerball and start an inner-ability summer camp. :-) (I think maybe we have it all wrong, maybe there should be more segregation in education, and then all kids go to the same camp. But what do I know? I don't have all the answers. I just am not scared to ask these things. And, more important, want millions so I can have fun starting a camp.
    Last edited by jul97; 02-24-2017 at 12:32 AM.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

My reviews of Speechless “Club”
    So the talking computer is AAC. Cool! It’s been awhile since I saw an AAC device. I have a feeling JJ ditched the device as a way to give the other actors more lines. Dumb but I can see why they did it for a production standpoint. The “Identify” joke was priceless! Yes JJ was very immature,I didn't like the dragged out fight, but I have seen fully grown disabled adults treat aides like crap. I was kind of like that at JJ's age in certain ways. I was too caught up in my own concerns and did not realize other people had lives and problems. The club plot was cute. I loved "The parent trap" reference. JJ should have the AAC as a backup if nothing else.

My review of Oscar Party
    Becky’s daughter kinda looks like me 10 years ago. I totally agree I love how Kenneth had to be all inclusive. In general if inclusion is done correctly it works pretty well but it is impossible to be 100% inclusive because the nature of disability makes it so broad. I thought they depicted this well. I was not a fan of being dragged to special needs groups as a disabled kid either. So my family left me out of it. I also didn't like the one "special needs" camp I went to. It felt like I was forced to make friends instead of letting it happen naturally. In regards to the moms. I would have wrote the episode where some of the moms make the disability all about them and some moms don't and they keep doing guilt trips on each other. This was a real observation I made about some moms of disabled. I think there is a huge denial by the disabled community about how hard care taking is and I think disabled adults need to help care takers by understanding this.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 03-04-2017 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by funnylegs4 View Post
    My reviews of Speechless “Club”
    So the talking computer is AAC. Cool! It’s been awhile since I saw an AAC device. I have a feeling JJ ditched the device as a way to give the other actors more lines. Dumb but I can see why they did it for a production standpoint. The “Identify” joke was priceless! Yes JJ was very immature,I didn't like the dragged out fight, but I have seen fully grown disabled adults treat aides like crap. I was kind of like that at JJ's age in certain ways. I was too caught up in my own concerns and did not realize other people had lives and problems. The club plot was cute. I loved "The parent trap" reference. JJ should have the AAC as a backup if nothing else.

My review of Oscar Party
    Becky’s daughter kinda looks like me 10 years ago. I totally agree I love how Kenneth had to be all inclusive. In general if inclusion is done correctly it works pretty well but it is impossible to be 100% inclusive because the nature of disability makes it so broad. I thought they depicted this well. I was not a fan of being dragged to special needs groups as a disabled kid either. So my family left me out of it. I also didn't like the one "special needs" camp I went to. It felt like I was forced to make friends instead of letting it happen naturally. In regards to the moms. I would have wrote the episode where some of the moms make the disability all about them and some moms don't and they keep doing guilt trips on each other. This was a real observation I made about some moms of disabled. I think there is a huge denial by the disabled community about how hard care taking is and I think disabled adults need to help care takers by understanding this.

We so so agree. I hated the sleep away camp I was sent to-creepy. Also observed the same thing-and yes, disabled adults should be there for families of kids w extra challenges.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

THE CLUB

To win the affection of her middle child, Ray, Maya concocts a lie to get the family into a private club. As usual, everyone in the family is in on the deception, orchestrated by Maya.

Ray is caught up in effete snobbery, the exact opposite of his real life, imagining himself as wealthy and spoiled. He likes it. He goes with it. As does Maya, until Ray casts off his mom for his new found Richie Rich tennis friends.

Ray feels remorse, asks his dad what to do, but figures it out for himself, and we end on a syrupy tea party in the backyard disturbed by continuous railroad traffic.

Moral of the story: Let’s teach our kids to lie and deceive, pretend they are someone they are not, just to make ourselves feel better about being that child’s parent, because we fall short in so many other ways. Let’s encourage our child’s fantasy of being someone he isn’t, by lying about who he is and where he comes from, instead of instilling pride in him for who he is and where he comes from. And then, as if by magic, the child learns a life lesson, and all is right with the world.

I also can’t suspend disbelief that this family has no money, but Maya can afford expensive clothes for her and Ray to pull off the scam.

The ACC device:

In my opinion, this device would make JJ more independent. When Kenneth isn’t “speaking” for JJ, his family members are. The device makes his input/conversation more spontaneous and gives him more control. Aside from assisting JJ with using the bathroom at school, what other tasks does Kenneth perform for JJ? And who pays Kenneth for his services to JJ, when he’s at home (or not at school)? Mom and Dad? Realistically, there will be times, when Kenneth can’t be with JJ. In those instances, JJ would benefit from an ACC device. Actually, I think he’d benefit 100% of the time, but then that would be the end of “Speechless.”

I continue to be disenchanted with this show. And disappointed.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

The ACC device:

In my opinion, this device would make JJ more independent. When Kenneth isn’t “speaking” for JJ, his family members are. The device makes his input/conversation more spontaneous and gives him more controthan Aside from assisting JJ with using the bathroom at school, what other tasks does Kenneth perform for JJ? And who pays Kenneth for his services to JJ, when he’s at home (or not at school)? Mom and Dad? Realistically, there will be times, when Kenneth can’t be with JJ. In those instances, JJ would benefit from an ACC device. Actually, I think he’d benefit 100% of the time, but then that would be the end of “Speechless.”
    I agree, I don't see any less need for an AAC device w speech output, than I do for a power chair for JJ. They could just push him in a manual always; but that would give a almost adult no independence. How is not being able to communicate w/o someone right there any less of an insane notion? I keep thinking whose paying Kenneth now outside of school hours? Whose going to pay him when JJ leaves/ages out of IDEA? When he's 25, 35. 45, 55? As I keep mentioning.

Like the family, the acting, but writing stinks, they're trying to make it too disability focused, cutesy, not being real.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

jul97 ~

The writing does stink. Writing and story line are core aspects of any TV show, film, play, etc. There isn't anything realistic or plausible in "Speechless." I don't like the family, because they are a caricature of a "disability family," and their behavior is awful. They lie a lot.

I wrote my review of The Club last week, but I forgot to post it.

Here's my review of The Oscars episode, which I watched last night. This is my last review of "Speechless."

THE OSCARS

After I brought Jim peaches to soothe his throat from coughing, gave Jon his meds and put on a DVD concert, I thought I’d take a “break” and watch “The Oscars" episode of “Speechless.”

Instead of being relaxed, I feel irritated and insulted.

I have never met a Mom of a special needs child, in real life or here on CN, who wasn’t a multi-tasker. Full of creative ideas and energy, juggling a hundred different things at one time seamlessly.

In this episode, the Moms are all crushed, overwhelmed, incapable of keeping their homes neat and tidy, let alone baking cookies, or organizing spices in their kitchen. One Mom, as Maya pointed out, is usually slumped in half kissing her belly button.

The Dads are portrayed as easily manipulated milquetoasts, with no brains, just Stepford responses to their wives’ demands.

Moms and Dads are stupid too.

Moms are confused and intimidated by a new Mom in their group, who bakes, makes her own bakery boxes, has a clean, neat house, without writing on the walls, and an organized pantry. They go berserk.

Meanwhile, the Dads are ordered by JJ’s Dad’s to do his chores, and they’re too daft to realize that they are being had.

But at the end, all of the Dads are dancing, and the Moms have made up after a food fight, and they all agree that it’s difficult being the parent of a child with special needs.

Youngest child, Dylan, counsels the Moms, but first, she reaches to drink a glass of wine. Maya says something to her, and Dylan says, “It was worth a try.” How old is Dylan? 12? Very inappropriate.

Meanwhile, Ray is enticed into a fantasy with a girl wearing a wreath of flowers in her hair. He tries to impress her by throwing something through a window at his school. Because vandalism is sexy.

And Kenneth has orchestrated a game, which ends up with JJ’s disabled peers fighting each other. Because that’s what they’ve been wanting to do for awhile, apparently.

That’s it for me. I’m done with this show. I can’t find a single redeemable thing about this show, and it just keeps getting worse. I’m not going to waste any more of my precious time to “relax” watching it or commenting on it.

My Final Score: 0

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 47, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

12. The following user says "thanks"

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast