Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jul97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FuunyLegs!! Hey, thanks so much for such a warm reception!

No apologies needed, you didn't insult me in the least! A lot odf adults who were born w disabilities run the gamete in opinions about childhood therapies. I've so heard that before-I don't take it personally in the least. Same as people usually have both at least one negative memory of a teacher; yet at the same time it's a common profession, so most also know people and are friendly w those who teach

When I was in elementary school I HATED pt!! Then I was 11 had my first surgery and my opinion on PTs did a complete 180-just how my life played out. 4th grade, I did have this 'pt' who was really wicked.. Throughout my life I've know probably 30 PTs; cause I had a lot of therapy, then through my mom. Anyways, only one do I remember being just awful. So now I am thinking at 9 how do I even know if she really was a PT? Or just some other profession the school hired-playing fudgy w the law cause for whatever reason they couldn't get a PT that year. That was before I'd ask so where did you graduate? Do you have you a bachelor's or a masters? When you're 9 you don't think something seems off-lets try to figure out...

Really don't worry about it-no apologies needed.

Nice to hear someone else had a common experience as I as having a para but feeling like they didn't neeed one. Often I talk to cpers who had no issues w having one. I so feel I am the lone wolf-so again nice to hear I am not the only one out there!

Great to re-connect~Happy Holidays!!
    Thanks so much for understanding!!! You are so right. I had some bad teachers in my life but then I met great ones. One of the great teachers in my life is now a friend of mine who had a stroke. You can read about what happened when he had the stroke on this thread from last year if interested. http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...VEMBER-UPDATES He is truly an amazing human being. I wish all teachers were like him. I'm glad my bad experiences with teachers didn't sour me to teachers in general or I may not have met him. SAME HERE! Hated PT with a passion back then! I also thought having a para in grade school cut into my social life. Funny you should say that, I often wondered if both my aids and PTs in grade school were even properly trained to deal with CP LOL. I wish I had been old enough, and wise enough to take more control back then like I did in higher learning. In my experience in higher learning the student with the disability has control, not the institution and I love it. The bad PTs I had in grade school are nothing like the PTs I know now. One of them even gave me a free stretch as a friend and her methods were divine. :) I would love to see more episodes of Speechless about JJ and PT. You're welcome!!! Feel free to pm me etc if you want to catch up? :)
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-23-2016 at 11:01 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

[QUOTE=funnylegs4;60314 Funny you should say that, I often wondered if both my aids and PTs in grade school were even properly trained to deal with CP LOL.)[/QUOTE]

I am 95% sure that in the 80's/90's you could have NO special training and work as an aide for a school district. The ONLY aide I liked in grammar school, called my mom up and said I am kinda overwhelmed, never went to college, no teacher training. Now I am thrown in- it's not just your daughter just having to be a co-teacher for 30 5th graders and I really don't know.. I love your daughter, you love mine, I want to do the best I can-can I ask a few questions. Mom to mom-let's do this. The nicest woman ever!!! She was my best friends mom-so..

In high school my para was the worst ever. Right before senior year I won my two year battle w my district and only had a para 12th for algebra two and study hall-yes!! I also requested never to work w my previous para again, who had multiple masters but no career. She just wanted a 'hobby job.' So senior year finally got rid of her. And first semester, I had the nicest woman, then she left. Second semester, I also got lucky and had a really fun like 25 year old who I could relate to. So most of my aides-sucked, however had 3 i loved.

2016-that could be different-I think now para-pro is considered more of a profession. You probably need some training, especially w the rise in ASD; it's more common 0thing to be a 1:1, there's probably at least more uniform job standards.

I know for as long as I've been alive PTs needed a degree and license to practice. However, the rigger's to obtain that degree have changed so much. By middle school I knew more about the field. I had an older PT for my school, so I knew he went to college in the 60's. Back when he earned a degree-he only had to take a few more classes, then he would to be a PE teacher. Nice person-but my other PTs both at the hospital and the out-patient sports med clinic I go to, went to PT school in the 80's, they had a way different and more difficult training. And know more!! Until the 80's PTs graduated w a bachelors, than it switched to a masters, now PTs alll get their doctorates.

Very interesting to me. I remember that one bad one at 9. Prior to that, didn't like PT but both at the time I didn't know enough and now I don't remember so I couldn't say I if they were "good PTs" or not.. Like mine at 10 way more, hated pt still but liked her. She was smart-I know you don't like these so I'll only make you do X number-ha-ha, probably the number she would had said regardless. A ll about how to motivate each kiddo-for me a dam sticker wasn't doing it...

Blog Entries

I am 95% sure that in the 80's/90's you could have NO special training and work as an aide for a school district. The ONLY aide I liked in grammar school, called my mom up and said I am kinda overwhelmed, never went to college, no teacher training. Now I am thrown in- it's not just your daughter just having to be a co-teacher for 30 5th graders and I really don't know.. I love your daughter, you love mine, I want to do the best I can-can I ask a few questions. Mom to mom-let's do this. The nicest woman ever!!! She was my best friends mom-so..

In high school my para was the worst ever. Right before senior year I won my two year battle w my district and only had a para 12th for algebra two and study hall-yes!! I also requested never to work w my previous para again, who had multiple masters but no career. She just wanted a 'hobby job.' So senior year finally got rid of her. And first semester, I had the nicest woman, then she left. Second semester, I also got lucky and had a really fun like 25 year old who I could relate to. So most of my aides-sucked, however had 3 i loved.

2016-that could be different-I think now para-pro is considered more of a profession. You probably need some training, especially w the rise in ASD; it's more common 0thing to be a 1:1, there's probably at least more uniform job standards.

I know for as long as I've been alive PTs needed a degree and license to practice. However, the rigger's to obtain that degree have changed so much. By middle school I knew more about the field. I had an older PT for my school, so I knew he went to college in the 60's. Back when he earned a degree-he only had to take a few more classes, then he would to be a PE teacher. Nice person-but my other PTs both at the hospital and the out-patient sports med clinic I go to, went to PT school in the 80's, they had a way different and more difficult training. And know more!! Until the 80's PTs graduated w a bachelors, than it switched to a masters, now PTs alll get their doctorates.

Very interesting to me. I remember that one bad one at 9. Prior to that, didn't like PT but both at the time I didn't know enough and now I don't remember so I couldn't say I if they were "good PTs" or not.. Like mine at 10 way more, hated pt still but liked her. She was smart-I know you don't like these so I'll only make you do X number-ha-ha, probably the number she would had said regardless. A ll about how to motivate each kiddo-for me a dam sticker wasn't doing it...
    Aww, that's really sweet! I wish my aides had engaged with my family but unfortunately what my family and I thought was best was often either overlooked or completely disregarded in grade school. I'm glad you had aides you liked. I had a really neat substitute aid once when my regular aid got sick or something. As for PT I'm pretty sure that they were medically licensed but from what I had been told by my more current PTs and docs is the idea of "neuroplascity" i.e the idea that the brain changes and rewires itself after injury was not prevalent until the 90s or so, therefore I did not get the benefits that I could have because the science wasn't there yet. My older PTs I had as a tiny kid just didn't know things that are perhaps common knowledge now. So that's not their fault. When I was a kid the word "autism" wasn't even mentioned at all. I'm a big believer in one on one attention between a PT or aid and the patient/disabled person but the right people have to be matched together or it just does not work. If it works it can be a very profound experience for both.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-24-2016 at 08:30 PM.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Most of the aides who worked for my district were horrid. 5th grade, got lucky and got my friends ma, who'd I still be happy to share a glass of whine w and get some advice from!

12th grade, I got lucky twice too.

Other then that horrible.. Most adults who worked for my school district were really jerks. Kids were great and therapists-overall great.

But- teachers/aids, Personally, why I had wanted to home school my kiddo from 2nd grade to high school. I believe 12 years in that system just is too hard on a child! And I believe I could do a better job in both academics and the holistic care of my kid than the school!

That's not saying I am anti school or think all families should home school their kids! There's a myriad of reasons why home schooling wouldn't work for many families. Then when you throw in any disability-let alone a major one-in the mix; it makes it even more complex!

I am pro-choice, it's just what I would had wanted for my family, despite my mom would had kittens (She doesn't agree at all w home schooling-I really think she isn't looking at it right-but anyways) It's the choice I would had ideally wanted to make for my own family if I had kids. But even I admit a variety of circumstances could had happened to make my ideal not doable.
    Last edited by jul97; 12-27-2016 at 09:16 PM.

5. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Most of the aides who worked for my district were horrid. 5th grade, got lucky and got my friends me, who'd I still be happy to share a glass of whine w and get some advice from!

12th grade, I got lucky twice too.

Other then that horrible.. Most adults who worked for my school district were really jerks. Kids were great-therapists-overall great.

But- teachers/aids, Personally, why I had wanted to home school my kiddo from 2nd grade to high school. I believe 12 years in that system just is too hard on a child! And I believe I could do a better job in both academics and the holistic care of my kid than the school!

That's not saying I am anti school or think all families should home school their kids! There's a myriad of reasons why home schooling wouldn't work for many families. Then when you through is a complex disability in the mix; it makes it even more complex!

I am pro-choice, it's just what I would had wanted for my family, despite my mom would had kittens (She doesn't agree at all w home schooling-I really think she isn't looking at it right-but anyways) It's the choice I would had ideally wanted to make for my own family if I had kids. But even I admit a variety of circumstances could had happened to make my ideal not doable.
    COMPLETELY AGREE! I ADORE home schooling!!! I was home schooled for many years and ended up with a much better social life than most of the kids in the school system and all of my academic issues disappeared. I became an honor student in college because of my time as a home schooler. Being home schooled was one of my best decisions in life so far!

YES!!! I wish I was-but oh well; none of us get to raise ourselves. Congrats about being an honor student in college-awesome

Did I tell you that I wrote/published a book? I think I did, just wanted to make sure.

Sorry for getting off topic of Speechless

8. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

YES!!! I wish I was-but oh well; none of us get to raise ourselves. Congrats about being an honor student in college-awesome

Did I tell you that I wrote/published a book? I think I did, just wanted to make sure.

Sorry for getting off topic of Speechless
    Thanks so much! I PMed(personal messaged) you so that we may continue our discussion! Check your inbox!

Back on topic, no new "Speechless" episodes until January 4 2017, so no new "Speechless" reviews from me until then.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-28-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Blog Entries

Haven't seen the new episode just yet but heard "Speechless" may get an extra 23rd episode for season 1. Also met an autism advocate who LOVES "Speechless" and saw no ableism or IP in it and he's experienced a lot of ableism/discrimination in his own life so it was interesting to hear his reaction. More later...

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hello!

I LOVE the new show Speechless! I am late chiming in to the thread but do have a few comments!

I have been enjoying the show and had looked forward to watching it with my kids....BUT I am glad I watched it alone first. For being on so early (I think it comes on at 7:30 central- I DVR it and watch when convenient for me so not too sure on the time it plays) there is an awful lot of sex stuff humor that while it is funny, it is not the kind of funny I want to watch with my boys. I have discussed with my boys that have ipods about sending inappropriate pictures but I didn't care for that episode with the sexting. And I agree on the drinking too. Poor Kenneth was in a hard spot there, of course, they were hiding that JJ was drinking from him. I LOVED the Halloween episode, especially since I did theme costumes for many many years and felt the heartbreak when my kids didn't want to do that anymore. At least this year, Caitlin wanted to do a theme with me (we were team Rocket from Pokémon)
    Attachment 4663

Their house: I do notice that the inside seems spruced up a bit now in the later episodes. I agree on the exterior, get out there a trim and mow and tidy up a bit. But then I can't talk much as around my own yard, I get really motivated and then lose it mid-summer and the weeds get ahead of me. I at least try though, lol! I get the impression that they are renting with how fast they were able to leave the original home in the pilot. As blunt as the mom is, you would think she would be on the landlord to fix some of the things inside. I was glad they revealed that the Dad does have a job, I did wonder about that in the first few episodes.

I loved the episode where the van was "stolen"...almost sad when they found it, lol, but glad they did the right thing and took the new van back and remain using the old one. I liked the Hanukkah miracle joke and could relate to that as I did run out of gas one time (when I bought a different minivan that has a gas tank that can only go 300 miles vs the 400 miles the old one went, lol).

****SPOILER ALERT!!!!****
    The most recent episode I watched was the one where they go on the trip and Kenneth goes to school anyway. That was funny and so awkward when all the groups rejected them. I felt bad for the principal when she was waiting for Kenneth in the afternoon with the coffee. He could have texted her! I loved how Ray was so sneaky and planned it all out. I also love how they show the mom being organized with Ray's medical info at the hospital...liked how it made him feel loved. I hope my kids don't feel or wonder like Ray does!

I think it would be better if the show were an hour instead of just 30 min. They would be better able to go deeper on some of the topics I think. I loved watching Life Goes On back in the day when that was on. I think that was an hour show if I remember right. No time to write more....Caitlin gets to go home this afternoon! Yay!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

SPOILERS! My review of The “road trip” episode. I liked this one. I loved JJ’s dancing. I loved how JJ is fully involved in the dancing and vacations. Dylan’s curled hair was hilarious!! It was also nice to see what Kenneth and the other teachers were up to without JJ. I was surprised by Maya’s need to be spontaneous in this episode because she seems so hyper organizied around JJ to the point of being overbearing and paranoid, but once Ray got sick everything made more sense. It was neat how they established how each of the able bodied siblings have similarities to Maya and how JJ has similarities to his dad. I absolutely adored the part where Ray asks JJ for surgery advice because I have had so many disabled and able bodied friends ask me similar questions so I really related to that. I’m so so glad that this show is depicting how disabled people can offer valuable advice and unique insights, because of our disability perspective. Personally if I had written this episode I probably would have had Ray be the spontaneous one and Maya be the one learning to loosen up for her character development, but I think that’s just me. I hope the future episodes are more like this one!

Lisa, So glad you like the show! I agree that this show would be really great if it were an hour because I think a lot of the scenes I had problems with were only problems due to pour pacing and trying to cover so many plot elements at once.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast