Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I agree with all of your observations on Episode 8.

I will add that I don't understand why Dad has to be such a buffoon.

And, I'm going to say it again: why do they live in a hovel? Never in a million years would that neighborhood allow a home that disheveled. The roof is dangerous. The overgrown yard is not just an eyesore, but would light up like a torch in the case of a fire. What if they needed paramedics? How would they access the home?

What is the point of this? It's not amusing. It's nonsense. I can't believe that the family can't work together to trim the trees/grass/plants and slap some paint on the interior walls. That could even make a funny and quirky episode.

This episode was a bit better, but I'm still not feeling this show, the way I was hoping it would affect me and represent families with a child, who has a disabling condition.

My Rating: 5

Love & Light,

Rose
    I agree. It is very UNfunny. You are right about the house especially since the mom mentioned the paramedics needing to get there in time in another earlier episode. It is worth mentioning as a general comment that most people with CP are generally healthy and do not require hospital visits to the extent your sons do unless they have epilepsy or a secondary chronic illness(you may know that already) so if the creators' relative with CP was very healthy the paramedics and need for the house to be accessed may have simply been overlooked in the writing.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-09-2016 at 06:56 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

The possible need for paramedics for JJ was set up in that earlier episode, as you said. But anyone in the family might need paramedics for one reason or another. Or a neighbor or family member visiting might need paramedics.

Beyond that aspect, my question is: what is the purpose of the family living like that? I've known many single moms with special needs children, with severe medical issues, and who just barely scraped by financially (me, for example), whose homes were always neat, clean and kept updated. They painted their homes and mowed their lawns.

Our home is in need of repair and remodeling. Before we got old and our RA kicked into high gear, we did a lot of work on our home and our yards. Jim installed laminate flooring in every room of our house. He installed new windows. Built a deck. If we could do that well into our 40s and 50s, with both of our boys and their problems, then I don't see a reason why JJ's family can't at least paint the interior and trim up the front yard.

It bothers me, because I feel that it gives the impression that families with a special needs child are either lazy or don't care about how their home looks. There just isn't a logical explanation for why this family lives like slobs.

And Dad, the buffoon, seemed to have enough cash to buy up all of those stupid dolls to sell on Ebay. So, they have/had enough money to purchase paint and garden clippers/tools.

I apologize ... I just can't get past this annoyance.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

3. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

The possible need for paramedics for JJ was set up in that earlier episode, as you said. But anyone in the family might need paramedics for one reason or another. Or a neighbor or family member visiting might need paramedics.

Beyond that aspect, my question is: what is the purpose of the family living like that? I've known many single moms with special needs children, with severe medical issues, and who just barely scraped by financially (me, for example), whose homes were always neat, clean and kept updated. They painted their homes and mowed their lawns.

Our home is in need of repair and remodeling. Before we got old and our RA kicked into high gear, we did a lot of work on our home and our yards. Jim installed laminate flooring in every room of our house. He installed new windows. Built a deck. If we could do that well into our 40s and 50s, with both of our boys and their problems, then I don't see a reason why JJ's family can't at least paint the interior and trim up the front yard.

It bothers me, because I feel that it gives the impression that families with a special needs child are either lazy or don't care about how their home looks. There just isn't a logical explanation for why this family lives like slobs.

And Dad, the buffoon, seemed to have enough cash to buy up all of those stupid dolls to sell on Ebay. So, they have/had enough money to purchase paint and garden clippers/tools.

I apologize ... I just can't get past this annoyance.

Love & Light,

Rose
    No need to apologize. I totally get it. I think the point of it was that the house is a wreck and the absurdity of the house being a wreck was intended to make it funny but unless you are a kid watching Disney Channel at 8 years old these type of gags kind of just come across as lazy writing.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I would go a step further from lazy writing and call it insulting writing.

This family doesn't even come close to reflecting my family or our CN families, or families I've known in my lifetime with special needs children. And it's insulting to me, and probably to other families like ours, to be portrayed as "idiots," and content to live in squalor.

That's why this is anything but funny to me, and why it continues to stick in my craw.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I would go a step further from lazy writing and call it insulting writing.

This family doesn't even come close to reflecting my family or our CN families, or families I've known in my lifetime with special needs children. And it's insulting to me, and probably to other families like ours, to be portrayed as "idiots," and content to live in squalor.

That's why this is anything but funny to me, and why it continues to stick in my craw.

Love & Light,

Rose
    I completely understand Rose. I happen to feel the same way about "Me Before You". Recently I happened to watch "Me Before You" with a disabled friend who had access to the film so I would not have to let the movie receive monetary gain from me(I had only read the book before). I have never seen such an insulting movie in my entire life. It feels like she shoe horned the assisted suicide bit in to give the film emotion, the writer even literally said the assisted suicide part was added to "make it more interesting" when in reality she could have done this in so many more interesting ways. Will and Lou could have been such interesting characters, they already have such good chemistry together but she wrote it in such a half assed insulting way that even without the assisted suicide plot it would not grab me or peak my interest at all. I guess "Speechless" doesn't bother me much because its more light hearted and does have parts that work despite glaring problems as we both have said. Just my view.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

As a grieving parent, I refuse to see "Me Before You." I'm pretty certain that it would depress me significantly.

"Speechless" bothers me because it's on weekly and probably garners a pretty large audience. A movie, one might watch one or two times, but a TV show is on every week for years (if it's renewed). That's a heavy impact.

I had high expectations for it, and I'm disappointed.

Love & Light,

Rose

9. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

As a grieving parent, I refuse to see "Me Before You." I'm pretty certain that it would depress me significantly.

"Speechless" bothers me because it's on weekly and probably garners a pretty large audience. A movie, one might watch one or two times, but a TV show is on every week for years (if it's renewed). That's a heavy impact.

I had high expectations for it, and I'm disappointed.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Trust me Rose. You are better off skipping "Me Before You". I'm disappointed in "Speechless" as well. Both "Me Before You" and "Speechless" seem like huge missed opportunities but out of the 2 the content in "Me Before You" is more damaging than anything "Speechless" put out to date in my humble opinion. Perhaps the next episodes will improve. "Speechless" has opportunity to improve because of it being a series whereas "Me Before You" does not because it is a single movie and the sequel book only has Lou since obviously Will is dead.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-11-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Jim and I watched a Netflix movie, "The Fundamentals of Caring," a few months ago, and we were quite impressed. It's a comedy/drama, and it offers some surprises. Moments of poignancy mixed with humorous scenes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2452386/...nm_flmg_act_10

I recommend reading the reviews, but skipping the Message Board. I always find IMDB message boards to be filled with cranky people.

The network TV show that I've fallen in love with this season is "This Is Us" on NBC. It doesn't deal with disability, although one main character is morbidly obese. This series is superior in every way, in my opinion. Writing, acting, story line, pacing, directing.

I've watched all of the episodes on line, while Jim and Jon sleep (which is frequently these days). It's the same principle as watching "Speechless" on line. Since the whole season has aired, it's possible that the episodes are now available without going through your service provider. (And NBC accepted my service provider for "This is Us," where ABC will not accept it for "Speechless." )

http://www.nbc.com/this-is-us?nbc=1

No gags. The humor is smart and pointed. The dramatic scenes are honest. I'm just impressed with this series and am looking forward to its return in January.

I haven't seen anything of this caliber on commercial TV in a very long time.

Check it out, if you're interested.

Love & Light,

Rose

Blog Entries

My review of episode 9:
    This one has a good plot. Some of my friends play Sled Hockey so I related to it. I liked how JJ did not want to be patronized and be on a level playing field with the students instead of them just letting him win because I have been patronized in the same way and I hate it. I liked the dad’s pep talk towards the end. The plot between Ray and Dylan was good,especially when Dylan points out how she needs privacy too, and the subplot between Kenneth and mom was kinda funny but not nearly quite as good as the other 2 plots. I could understand the dad’s fear because sled hockey does lead to injury very often in real life but it was the dad who caused JJ to injure himself really, because of his bad steering. Why did the mom only criticize the ref when she knew he was NOT disabled? My main problem with this episode: Again WHY IS “DIFFERENT” synonymous with “bad”?? Why are we as disabled people always told “be the same”?

Rose, thanks for the recommendations. I will check them out. I think I did hear about “The Fundamentals of Caring” at one point. Is obesity a disability according to the ADA? When talking about disability media with someone they asked me what my fave movies with good disability representation were. Here is my list for you(some of which you have seen).
    “Finding Dory”
    “Finding Nemo”
    “The Brooke Ellison Story”(true story fiction)
    “Enter The Faun” (documentary)
    “The Color of Paradise”(fiction)
    “Children Of A Lessor God” (fiction)
    “Not Home: Kids living in nursing homes” (documentary)
    “Going Blind” (documentary)
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-15-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Patronizing is one of my biggest pet peeves, so I did relate to how JJ felt, when his teammates allowed him to win on the football field. In hockey, with other disabled athletes, JJ felt that he was equal. I think it would have been appropriate for JJ to have lessons, before he is thrown into a game with experienced players. But then, there would be no "drama" or crisis.

Progressive disclosure in this show provided us with the reveal that JJ has had "20 surgeries." Is that a lot for a 15-16 year old with CP? I honestly don't know.

So, Dad was trying to protect JJ from injury, and Mom wanted JJ to have the chance to be in the sport, despite the risk of injury. This is where the issue of being "different" came into the picture. I didn't get the idea that "different" meant "bad," but that "different" meant that JJ has had many issues with 20 surgeries, and Dad was afraid of something happening to his son.

The concept of different but equal arose in the conflict between Ray and Dylan about their need for personal space. Ray thought that he was different, until his sister explained that she needs personal space too. I can imagine that it would be especially difficult for a girl to sleep in the same room with her two brothers. And that's an issue that their parents should be addressing. All three kids are hitting puberty. Time for separate rooms, if possible. Evidently, they can't afford more than this 2 bedroom home.

If I were in their situation, I would give up my bedroom so that the boys could have a room and the girl could have a room. Hubby and I would sleep on a sofa bed in the living room. Buying a sofa bed is quite a bit less expensive than renting/buying a larger home with more bedrooms.

The Mom/Kenneth plot was inappropriate for early prime time TV (but I'm old school). Why is Kenneth taking a shower in their home? Doesn't he have his own place, where he can shower? Mom walks in on him and sees Kenneth naked. Lurid and unnecessary for a family show. Later, she praises him for his "endowment" (my word, but it is implied). Just wrong wrong wrong. White woman complimenting black man on his prowess. Just wrong wrong wrong.

Who is paying Kenneth for his services? And what do those services include? Have we been told this? Because JJ's family can't afford to pay him.

And how many families with a special needs child have a "Kenneth?" I sure didn't. I'd like to know what program they went through to get Kenneth.

Then we have the family competing to get Kenneth away from JJ, and this couple just oozes all over Kenneth. Again white woman admiring black man's "big strong muscular arms." Just wrong wrong wrong.

To keep Kenneth, Maya feigns interest in his stories about his private life. Disgusting pandering. She blatantly admits that she's a person bereft of compassion or concern for others. I'm wearying of this Mom character with every new episode. She doesn't have a sincere bone in her body, and everything she says is snarky. She's controlling and unbending in many ways.

So, we have sexual context, in that Maya didn't just turn around and run out of the bathroom, but stayed and talked to naked Kenneth and purposely looked down as she stood before him.

We have stereotyping of sexual context and African American men.

We have patronizing of JJ, pandering by mom to keep Kenneth, and Dad, the buffoon, with his pep talk speech at the end. And the two non-disabled children, with their never ending angst.

Disappointing to say the least.

My Score: 2 (and I'm really being generous)

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast