Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: "Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I’m sorry that you haven’t been feeling like yourself recently, and I pray that you will find your way back to YOU, filled with strength, wisdom and energy to move forward and change the world! I believe in you!

Thank you for sharing the article from Slate. I’m wondering about “Inspiration P**n, (IP)” and what this means. I appreciate and enjoy both “The Blind Side” and “Radio,” which are based on true stories. In some ways, both movies do reflect our lives. In “Radio,” particularly, because Jon was inseparable from his beloved radio for many years. And Cuba Gooding Jr.’s performance was spot on. And I laugh and cry when I watch these films. But the Slate author’s take is that both of these films represent IP.

If I published my book about my sons and their life experiences (and mine, of course, as their mom and caregiver), describing the multitudinous times they both were at death’s door and recovered, their battles with seizures, the progressiveness of the unknown, underlying condition, their victories and triumphs, and Michael’s passing, would that be considered IP?

And, what is wrong with Inspiration? We’ve often been told that we’re inspiring, and I’ve never taken offense to that, but accepted it as a blessing. We’re here to teach, and inspiration is part of teaching.

When people say to me, “You remind me of how lucky I am,” I am thrilled. I want people to learn to look at the Big Picture and count their blessings. I don’t want them to pity us or look sadly upon us. I want them to be uplifted in their own lives to truly embrace their blessings. And if we assist in that endeavor, then that’s wonderful.

Apparently, I need some edification as to what constitutes IP, so I can get with the current trend.

Many of the positive reviews I’ve seen for “Speechless” are based upon the pilot, which I also applauded, when I started this thread. We’re displeased with the episodes following the pilot, and yet, it’s been picked up for the rest of the season.

If I were a young, wealthy entrepreneur (which I am not, unfortunately), I would start up an agency exclusively for actors, writers, filmmakers, artists, musicians, etc. with disabilities. Someone needs to do this to break through that wall.

You’ve got me in suspense now! I’m excited to hear about your ongoing project. I will wait until you’re ready to announce it. Meanwhile, I’m sending you positive energy to sustain you through the process.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I’m sorry that you haven’t been feeling like yourself recently, and I pray that you will find your way back to YOU, filled with strength, wisdom and energy to move forward and change the world! I believe in you!

Thank you for sharing the article from Slate. I’m wondering about “Inspiration P**n, (IP)” and what this means. I appreciate and enjoy both “The Blind Side” and “Radio,” which are based on true stories. In some ways, both movies do reflect our lives. In “Radio,” particularly, because Jon was inseparable from his beloved radio for many years. And Cuba Gooding Jr.’s performance was spot on. And I laugh and cry when I watch these films. But the Slate author’s take is that both of these films represent IP.

If I published my book about my sons and their life experiences (and mine, of course, as their mom and caregiver), describing the multitudinous times they both were at death’s door and recovered, their battles with seizures, the progressiveness of the unknown, underlying condition, their victories and triumphs, and Michael’s passing, would that be considered IP?

And, what is wrong with Inspiration? We’ve often been told that we’re inspiring, and I’ve never taken offense to that, but accepted it as a blessing. We’re here to teach, and inspiration is part of teaching.

When people say to me, “You remind me of how lucky I am,” I am thrilled. I want people to learn to look at the Big Picture and count their blessings. I don’t want them to pity us or look sadly upon us. I want them to be uplifted in their own lives to truly embrace their blessings. And if we assist in that endeavor, then that’s wonderful.

Apparently, I need some edification as to what constitutes IP, so I can get with the current trend.

Many of the positive reviews I’ve seen for “Speechless” are based upon the pilot, which I also applauded, when I started this thread. We’re displeased with the episodes following the pilot, and yet, it’s been picked up for the rest of the season.

If I were a young, wealthy entrepreneur (which I am not, unfortunately), I would start up an agency exclusively for actors, writers, filmmakers, artists, musicians, etc. with disabilities. Someone needs to do this to break through that wall.

You’ve got me in suspense now! I’m excited to hear about your ongoing project. I will wait until you’re ready to announce it. Meanwhile, I’m sending you positive energy to sustain you through the process.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose, thank you dear! I have just been feeling a bit sick this week. I think I have a stomach flu or something. I'm okay but I have been having trouble focusing etc because of the discomfort and screwed some stuff up. Anyway, I think the "inspiration p*rn" label is really dumb frankly and I think it's just a way of guilting the able bodied by certain activists, except in rare cases of pity or patronizing. Here's what I understand of the term. It is where you are inspired by a disabled person just because they are disabled instead of being inspired by their life accomplishments and supposedly by being inspired solely based on a person's disability it is a form of pity that implies life with a disability is horrible(like in our Me Before You discussion) and that we disabled exist to be life lessons for the non disabled and nothing else. I'm not an expert on the term so I would google it and see for yourself. I used the term in my review of "Speechless" episode 4 to refer to how the people at the game gave special perks to JJ just because of his wheelchair and no other reason, because this is how I commonly see the words used off the top of my head. I may have used it improperly.

I feel the EXACT way you do in regards to inspiration! I want to be inspiring to others! I had a fan say "I want my son to be like you!" and I LOVED hearing that! And NO I do NOT think your story is IP! It's your true story! I really really wish you would write it! I'v taught more to others by having Cerebral Palsy than I ever could without it. My CP is a blessing. I have been inspired by many others like my teacher with the stroke who still has amazing strength everyday. I don't think most able bodied people are saying we are less when they are inspired, I think they admire us and our disability gives us a platform to reach them and THAT'S FINE.

As to my upcoming project thank you so much! I could always use an extra prayer!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 10-20-2016 at 09:30 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

Question

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you for explaining IP to me. I Googled and read some articles, and I'm still a bit confused/conflicted.

First, I despise the term "p**n." It has a specific connotation, and I don't feel that it is appropriate to use it in connection with disabilities. I've also seen the term "Food P**n." I guess I'm old school, but why does this word have to be attached as a descriptor to things that have nothing to do with actual p**n?

And I agree with your assessment of inspiration as a good thing and a platform (wonderful word!) to reach able bodied people.

Do persons with disabilities, who are activists against IP, think that any expression of admiration or inspiration is objectifying and denigrating? If not, then where is the line drawn? How do people know when they are being patronizing or are acceptably complimenting a person with disabilities?

We watched the Paralympics, and we were constantly amazed at the feats these athletes achieved and the odds they overcame. We enjoyed the Paralympics far more than the Olympics this year. Were we committing IP by admiring the accomplishments of disabled athletes?

I'll have to ponder this some more. Right now, I'm too tired to think ~ Jon's insomnia is still raging. He's filled with fluid. It's been frustrating lately. He's handling it better than we are.

Ah ~ there ... If I wrote that in a blog, or in a book, or in a script ~ would I be guilty of IP?

Confused and conflicted ... that's me.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

5. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you for explaining IP to me. I Googled and read some articles, and I'm still a bit confused/conflicted.

First, I despise the term "p**n." It has a specific connotation, and I don't feel that it is appropriate to use it in connection with disabilities. I've also seen the term "Food P**n." I guess I'm old school, but why does this word have to be attached as a descriptor to things that have nothing to do with actual p**n?

And I agree with your assessment of inspiration as a good thing and a platform (wonderful word!) to reach able bodied people.

Do persons with disabilities, who are activists against IP, think that any expression of admiration or inspiration is objectifying and denigrating? If not, then where is the line drawn? How do people know when they are being patronizing or are acceptably complimenting a person with disabilities?

We watched the Paralympics, and we were constantly amazed at the feats these athletes achieved and the odds they overcame. We enjoyed the Paralympics far more than the Olympics this year. Were we committing IP by admiring the accomplishments of disabled athletes?

I'll have to ponder this some more. Right now, I'm too tired to think ~ Jon's insomnia is still raging. He's filled with fluid. It's been frustrating lately. He's handling it better than we are.

Ah ~ there ... If I wrote that in a blog, or in a book, or in a script ~ would I be guilty of IP?

Confused and conflicted ... that's me.

Love & Light,

Rose
    You're welcome. Honey I'm just as confused as you are! I feel ya! Completely agree! The p*rn reference seems to be a dumb attempt to make disability more sexy or something which is so objectifying! I think some people with disabilities felt degraded when able bodied people would tell them that they are inspiring for just getting up in the morning to make coffee or get the mail etc. Mundane things they felt should not be inspiring because they felt those things being inspiring meant that able bodied people expected the disabled to be depressed,and doing nothing. As far as I can tell from posts about IP and Paralympic athletes, Paralympics are supposedly as exception because you are admiring a skill not just disability. Again I'm still like WHAT??? I cannot follow their train of thought. I find Paralympics WAY WAY more interesting than regular Olympics because they have reached a level of physical ability which is great by any standard and throw disability stereotypes completely out the window all while also dealing with conditions which make the skill more difficult. It's just seems to me that people who complain about IP forget that a day without fluid is huge for Jon just like me going a day without dragging my feet is a huge accomplishment and if people are inspired by that than so be it! Disability is hard sometimes. These IP activists don't seem to want to see reality. Just my opinion. And NO I see no IP in you!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 10-23-2016 at 01:39 PM.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

My review of episode 5! “H-A-L-Halloween”

SPOILER ALERT! Finally an episode I liked! My family watched this one with me the whole way through and we all agree this one was cute! This time the main plots and subplots all made perfect sense because they were centered around a “regular” activity. Halloween! The Halloween plot might be part of why the episode was pushed back since I think next Weds is already November and they wanted it airing close to the holiday. I liked how the entire family had an actual family tradition. Especially one that included JJ front and center with the whole costume theme thing complete with wheelchair friendly costume! The costume for JJ reminded me of this http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/year...ry?id=42965826 I loved that we saw JJ spreading his wings and getting drunk at the teen party because I know disabled guys who like getting drunk. It would have been amusing to have a scene after the party showing how the CP comes back on you around the hangover stage but you can’t have everything LOL. The side plot with the other 2 siblings wasn’t annoying for once and actually got tied into the parents subplot later which is great. I loved seeing more of the parents’ bonding and the parents’ actual personalities. The scene at the end was also touching and Kenneth saying “B*tch" actually came across as funny this time. It was great to see Kenneth acting like a real caretaker again after the disaster that was episode 4. My only gripe besides fast pacing and a few not well delivered jokes on my first viewing, was that I did not get the jokes with the list the parents had but my family thought it was funny so I guess it was just me. I see some areas that some disabled viewers might nit pick like the parents being happy about JJ getting grounded but for a lot of parents of disabled, that’s reality. So yeah on a first viewing the show seems to have redeemed itself a little and I’m more motivated to watch now going forward. Question, I had while reading the title of the episode, is the “H-A-L” part of the title a reference to communication boards?? i.e why separate the letters? They seem to do that a lot.

If I find some more reviews of episode 5 I'll post them and I look forward to what the rest of you think!!!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 10-26-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you for your review of Episode 5. I think it was pre-empted last week, because of the Presidential debate. And likely it was timed for airing tonight to coincide with Halloween.

Before I offer my thoughts on Episode 5, I'd like to revise my review of Episode 4, after I watched it on line this evening.

EPISODE 4

The parents and kids do feel guilt about doing something excluding JJ. When the young daughter, Dylan, declares "This is the best day ever!" after the paintball fight, they all realize that they've excluded JJ.

Dylan's scene with Mom, in which she talks Mom down from feeling guilty, was actually pretty powerful. But I also realized the pressure placed on that little girl, when her Mom made her her therapist. (Mom gave Dylan a psychology book, and Dylan said she became her mom's therapist.)

Throughout the episode, it was clear that Dylan and Ray were bonding. When Ray saved Dylan from an incoming paintball shot, they each said, "I love you!" Later, they both realized that any resentment or frustration they felt toward JJ was out of line, as Dylan said, "I can do anything I want, and he can't." (to paraphrase)

Mom did express concern about the violence of paintball several times, but she went along with it for the sake of the kids.

Kenneth's apology to JJ was sincere, and, of course, he has no training in caring for a person with a disability. So I guess we give him a pass for overdoing the INspiration aspect of his relationship with JJ. Still in some ways, Kenneth just seems irresponsible to me. For example, allowing JJ to drive around the empty parking lot. Very dangerous and foolish.

Dad's character is so ambiguous ~ sometimes he's in his own world, and other times he actually connects with the real world. Mom has this magical power to convince him that he's capable of retrofitting the bathroom door to accommodate JJ's wheelchair? I find that impossible to believe.

I've noticed that Dylan is like her Mom, forceful, in charge, nothing stops her. And Ray is like his Dad, confused, conflicted, doing the best he can. But JJ isn't like Mom or Dad. He wants to assert his independence, and being different than them (not just with respect to disability, but with attitude) is one of his means of accomplishing that goal.

My revised rating for Episode 4: 7

I'll return later or tomorrow to review Episode 5, but I will say that I see more promise in this show now than I had previously. I need to sit down, undisturbed to watch these episodes, because otherwise, I miss nuances and symbolism. I now feel that "Speechless" does have possibilities.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 10-26-2016 at 08:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Here’s another review of episode 5 https://toniasays.blogspot.com/2016/...-1x05-h-l.html

Thanks for posting more thoughts on episode 4 Rose. I agree. The show still has promise. The able bodied kids and parents want JJ there and feel very bad that he can’t join in so that paintball scene has reality to it. I have seen things like that in real life quite a bit. As for Kenneth compared to episode 5 he is completely out of character when he takes the communication board off in episode 4 since episode 5 suggests he is not nearly that dumb...distracted,but not dumb. I also agree with what you said about the able bodied siblings personalities but I see the parallel much more in episode 5 instead of episode 4.
    Happy Halloween for real today! Looking forward to your episode 5 review. My review for episode 6 might be delayed this time.

Blog Entries

I haven't seen episode 6 yet but here is a review http://toniasays.blogspot.com/2016/1...x06-d-t-e.html Feel free to post your thoughts on episode 6.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~ I didn't have a chance to watch Episode 6. I will watch it on line, when it's unlocked and available on ABC's site. I've been having connection problems with our ISP, but I finally was able to watch Episode 5, Halloween, again. So, here are my thoughts on Episode 5.

Episode 5 HALLOWEEN

I didn't see the point of Mom and Ray being a “couple" every Halloween. I thought that was unnecessary and "eww" worthy, which is how they responded. But, they did embrace the idea of creating a costume using JJ's w/c, something which many parents I've known have done with their kids' w/c's. Having a theme, where they all dress as characters within that theme, reflects their unity as a family. I liked that as a subtext.

I appreciated the angst of the parents, watching their kids declare their independence from the family Halloween traditions, so that they could do their own things with their peer groups. On the one hand, parents are happy that their kids are growing up. On the other hand, parents don't want to lose their children to aging/growing up.

The teenage drinking bothered me. It appeared that there was no adult supervision for that party, until Kenneth arrived with JJ. Kenneth knew that the kids were drinking. As a responsible adult, he should have put the kibosh on the alcohol consumption immediately. "Where are your parents?" would have been my first question. Then, "Where did you get this beer?" Then, "No more alcohol!" And I would have instructed the kids to round up all of the beer and other alcoholic beverages and put them in the fridge. Then, I would have contacted the parents of the kid(s) hosting the party to ask them to come home or to appear and supervise the party.

But then, we would have been deprived of the laughs with JJ getting drunk and vomiting. And being "normal" as Mom said, until she was corrected by Dad and referred to him as an "Idiot Teenager."

I'm really done with the "Idiot" references in this show. Really really done with it. Not funny.

JJ's parents are happy that their son got drunk with a group of teenagers, because that makes him more typical. I can't find humor in this, as I think about the many teens, who have died in automobile accidents, while driving drunk. To the teenagers, who are watching "Speechless," what kind of message does this send?

JJ wanted to fit in with the crowd. That meant getting drunk and sick. Why is that an aspiration among teens? Why is that considered a "rite of passage?" Why is that a prerequisite to being popular among your peers?

Perhaps I sound prudish. I know teens get drunk at parties; they did when I was a teen, back in the covered wagon days. I just think this was a poor choice for a plot.

Love & Light,

Rose

12. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~ I didn't have a chance to watch Episode 6. I will watch it on line, when it's unlocked and available on ABC's site. I've been having connection problems with our ISP, but I finally was able to watch Episode 5, Halloween, again. So, here are my thoughts on Episode 5.

Episode 5 HALLOWEEN

I didn't see the point of Mom and Ray being a “couple" every Halloween. I thought that was unnecessary and "eww" worthy, which is how they responded. But, they did embrace the idea of creating a costume using JJ's w/c, something which many parents I've known have done with their kids' w/c's. Having a theme, where they all dress as characters within that theme, reflects their unity as a family. I liked that as a subtext.

I appreciated the angst of the parents, watching their kids declare their independence from the family Halloween traditions, so that they could do their own things with their peer groups. On the one hand, parents are happy that their kids are growing up. On the other hand, parents don't want to lose their children to aging/growing up.

The teenage drinking bothered me. It appeared that there was no adult supervision for that party, until Kenneth arrived with JJ. Kenneth knew that the kids were drinking. As a responsible adult, he should have put the kibosh on the alcohol consumption immediately. "Where are your parents?" would have been my first question. Then, "Where did you get this beer?" Then, "No more alcohol!" And I would have instructed the kids to round up all of the beer and other alcoholic beverages and put them in the fridge. Then, I would have contacted the parents of the kid(s) hosting the party to ask them to come home or to appear and supervise the party.

But then, we would have been deprived of the laughs with JJ getting drunk and vomiting. And being "normal" as Mom said, until she was corrected by Dad and referred to him as an "Idiot Teenager."

I'm really done with the "Idiot" references in this show. Really really done with it. Not funny.

JJ's parents are happy that their son got drunk with a group of teenagers, because that makes him more typical. I can't find humor in this, as I think about the many teens, who have died in automobile accidents, while driving drunk. To the teenagers, who are watching "Speechless," what kind of message does this send?

JJ wanted to fit in with the crowd. That meant getting drunk and sick. Why is that an aspiration among teens? Why is that considered a "rite of passage?" Why is that a prerequisite to being popular among your peers?

Perhaps I sound prudish. I know teens get drunk at parties; they did when I was a teen, back in the covered wagon days. I just think this was a poor choice for a plot.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Thanks for your thoughts Rose. I missed episode 7 today because of some crap at my work. I totally get what you are saying about the drinking. To some teens getting drunk is simply a big deal because adults do it so by doing it it makes them feel more adult. I don't like the kids getting drunk either despite finding it funny. Maybe the writers felt they would have no episode or felt that if Kenneth did the responsible adult actions it would be a re hash of the episode with the school beach event being ruined. Perhaps part of the joke is that JJ gets away with certain things because he's disabled.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast