Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: "Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

episode that aired 1/4: Vaccay; Ray's plot was great, loved Mya

Loved they pointed out that Kenneth felt he had no real place in the school w other adults; I can imagine that's an issue w a lot of para-pro's; especially in smaller districts.

What I didn't like:
    When you have a child w significant extra challenges, hate, hate, hate, phrase special needs-won't use it. But when you have a member of your family that say needs a roll-in shower; which I don't feel it's too much of an assumption to say JJ would need. You need to put MORE planning into everything-especially things like vacations!!!! So Mya's no planning thing-that really wouldn't be realistic for most families w a kiddo w extra challenges

I WISH they made that a point, that's so real. The 'we don't have time for lawn care cause our oldest has cp-we get a pass.' that's soo bunck. If you really want to protray family life with one kid having a disability-I'd like to see real points, such as we cannot just stay at any hotel we find, we need to make sure we can fit through the doorway of the room, first. Then the bathroom needs a, b and c. Hence, I, as a parent, need to sometimes contact 5 to 10 places prior-to yes, I am sure it will work. And if we want a pool lift, you're talking a week, maybe two of phone calls

Loved
    the ending!!

1/11 episode-really love the family, but-the insurance rep storyline was so so so so far fetched. I mean no-that would never be a possible route to what you need. Again it's a long process to get a chair through insurance. And if you get denied; say for a rehab stay (drawing from my experience) there's no one 'in town' to either deal with or schmooze. The system is vast and not at all personal.

Coming back to; there's some really great stuff; but in capturing what's it to either have a disability or have a kid w extra challenges, it falls a bit short.

If they wanted the 'sweet talking storyline' to pass muster w me, it would had been better they want more doors at the school to be rampped for JJ's convince, so they need to sway the newest BOE member, whose difficult. That to me would so be real-small town life; you know who the board members are and how to get the majority

Also: little 8 or 9 year kids know like they cannot lose their retainer cause they're expensive. A teenager is old enough to get my chair is real hard to replace, therefore-I cannot break the thing and it cannot get stolen. It's more the later for me-my rigid frame feels pretty indestructible, but I need it-so I think can it get stolen? How do I insure that won't happen? And I don't even require custom sitting, when you do-even more complex..|

ABC sit-com's aren't good writing. I love 80's nostalgia so watch goldergs, crappy, crappy writing. Beverly, mother on the Goldberg's, down
    right creepy-like dark fraud stuff.. Mya is way better written and likable. There's a reason I don't watch present sit-coms, so for the category it's stuck in; Speechless is doing a great job!
    Last edited by jul97; 01-14-2017 at 05:36 PM.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jul97 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    episode that aired 1/4: Vaccay; Ray's plot was great, loved Mya

Loved they pointed out that Kenneth felt he had no real place in the school w other adults; I can imagine that's an issue w a lot of para-pro's; especially in smaller districts.

What I didn't like:
    When you have a child w significant extra challenges, hate, hate, hate, phrase special needs-won't use it. But when you have a member of your family that say needs a roll-in shower; which I don't feel it's too much of an assumption to say JJ would need. You need to put MORE planning into everything-especially things like vacations!!!! So Mya's no planning thing-that really wouldn't be realistic for most families w a kiddo w extra challenges

I WISH they made that a point, that's so real. The 'we don't have time for lawn care cause our oldest has cp-we get a pass.' that's soo bunck. If you really want to protray family life with one kid having a disability-I'd like to see real points, such as we cannot just stay at any hotel we find, we need to make sure we can fit through the doorway of the room, first. Then the bathroom needs a, b and c. Hence, I, as a parent, need to sometimes contact 5 to 10 places prior-to yes, I am sure it will work. And if we want a pool lift, you're talking a week, maybe two of phone calls

Loved
    the ending!!

1/11 episode-really love the family, but-the insurance rep storyline was so so so so far fetched. I mean no-that would never be a possible route to what you need. Again it's a long process to get a chair through insurance. And if you get denied; say for a rehab stay (drawing from my experience) there's no one 'in town' to either deal with or schmooze. The system is vast and not at all personal.

Coming back to; there's some really great stuff; but in capturing what's it to either have a disability or have a kid w extra challenges, it falls a bit short.

If they wanted the 'sweet talking storyline' to pass muster w me, it would had been better they want more doors at the school to be rampped for JJ's convince, so they need to sway the newest BOE member, whose difficult. That to me would so be real-small town life; you know who the board members are and how to get the majority

Also: little 8 or 9 year kids know like they cannot lose their retainer cause they're expensive. A teenager is old enough to get my chair is real hard to replace, therefore-I cannot break the thing and it cannot get stolen. It's more the later for me-my rigid frame feels pretty indestructible, but I need it-so I think can it get stolen? How do I insure that won't happen? And I don't even require custom sitting, when you do-even more complex..|

ABC sit-com's aren't good writing. I love 80's nostalgia so watch goldergs, crappy, crappy writing. Beverly, mother on the Goldberg's, down
    right creepy-like dark fraud stuff.. Mya is way better written and likable. There's a reason I don't watch present sit-coms, so for the category it's stuck in; Speechless is doing a great job!
    Hi Jul97, for me I feel the term "special needs" is very inaccurate to the true experience of disability. I agree about the planning. That's why I was really surprised by Maya being the spontaneous one. As an adult with CP who has much more mobility than JJ, I know there is a huge amount of planning involved in any trip. For me personally I have to plan almost every physical movement I make to save energy and time. Same for most people I know with neurologic conditions. Maya seemed to do this kind of extra planning in the other pervious episodes so her spontaneousness seemed really out of character. I agree most sitcoms are "Meh" these days. Thanks for writing your thoughts. Did you get my pm?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Quote Originally Posted by funnylegs4 View Post
    Hi Jul97, for me I feel the term "special needs" is very inaccurate to the true experience of disability. I agree about the planning. That's why I was really surprised by Maya being the spontaneous one. As an adult with CP who has much more mobility than JJ, I know there is a huge amount of planning involved in any trip. For me personally I have to plan almost every physical movement I make to save energy and time. Same for most people I know with neurologic conditions. Maya seemed to do this kind of extra planning in the other pervious episodes so her spontaneousness seemed really out of character. I agree most sitcoms are "Meh" these days. Thanks for writing your thoughts. Did you get my pm?
    yes i did-I will respond-just bad at procrastinating!!

watched speechless on 1/18

again and again love the show and the family but the main thing is they're getting the para-pro wrong

Like dylan going to school w JJ to fill in for Kenneth would NEVER HAPPEN

Who lets a middle school kiddo miss to care for another kiddo-even if the family allowed that, which I am open minded. But school wouldn't just let middle school kids report to hs. From their end if middle school students just could report to whatever school they wish, it would be chaos. I, don't like schools, rules or bureaucracy-but I get, if I were a teacher and any child could show up to my class any day, everyday different number; different ages. That wouldn't work-even if I were merely a basic babysitting service. Drop your kid-no structured activities-just basic supervision. But I am N0T even a babysitting service, I am a teacher. I need to teach a pre-planned curriculum ...

When my para-pro was out the district assigned a sub; simple. My family had very little to do w it. They weryse a district employee. I'd come home and say my day sucked-I had a sub-they either were ok but didn't know the drill, so it's always even more embarrassing sub days. Or, day sucked-sub was so annoying-hate them. I'd bet money my younger sibs don't even remember my parapro's name-good.. My mom said recently name sounds familiar but cannot picture em. (and mom met them several times. But it was 20 years ago, my parents lives were whizzing by. Why would it be memorable to my mom? It wouldn't) Because they had very little to nothing to do w us as a family. Because they had their own family!

And show'a not fair to parapro's-they have lives, kids, families, of their own! It's a JOB-they're not at the beck and call of whatever kids family 24/7. My ma wasn't oh I need something for myself, I'll call my kid's aide hired by the BOE-hi can you get me nail polish-my car won't start.

absurd

I can see getting attached to a kiddo-I've been w them for 5 years so I went to their birthday or graduation party held by their family, or horribly parent passed. So I felt the need to attend service; both for myself, I communicated w them about the kid-it's tragic. And of course, I want to be there to help the child through it. But not oh I am at their house daily for hours, just whatever family needs. again-absurd..

I liked Myra's paranoia about sickness. My nana was like that-so my mom was like that-so now I am like that. We don't touch things. If you're sick-don't come over, duh....... I'd be more like don't get us sick-if i had kids-i am sure. sickroom-well room-yep, sounds like us..

But why do they need to make that a "special needs thing?" Grrr, I know parents w all typical kids-don't get us sick-it will take 5 weeks to work it's way through my whole house. Just no..

So great acting, thank you for casting an actor w cp!! Like the family-but stupid writing.
    Last edited by jul97; 01-23-2017 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries

My review of “Hero” . I do like that they bring up disability is expensive. I thought it was interesting how JJ didn’t want to part of an essay about “heros”. Once again they are bringing up “inspiration p*rn” and this time actually are using the term with its definition! That was surprising. I found it interesting that Kenneth and JJ bonded over minority stereotypes too because I have heard disability activists make those parallels before. As a disabled person I really, really, related to how Ray said JJ was mean sometimes and was just living his life and how just living life was not particularly brave. Those words are me and my disabled friends in a nutshell. However, I have no problem with being an inspiration because of my work or if I can inspire a parent of a CP kid or a disabled person, that life with CP can be vibrant and wonderful as I have said before in this thread since I think there is nothing wrong with inspiration in and of itself. It just depends on context. I think the kid who said JJ was his friend was played by an actor who was in a Disney Channel show. That actor just looks so familiar. The insurance woman with blonde hair is a jerk.
    yes i did-I will respond-just bad at procrastinating!!

watched speechless on 1/18

again and again love the show and the family but the main thing is they're getting the para-pro wrong

Like dylan going to school w JJ to fill in for Kenneth would NEVER HAPPEN

Who lets a middle school kiddo miss to care for another kiddo-even if the family allowed that, which I am open minded. But school wouldn't just let middle school kids report to hs. From their end if middle school students just could report to whatever school they wish, it would be chaos. I, don't like schools, rules or bureaucracy-but I get, if I were a teacher and any child could show up to my class any day, everyday different number; different ages. That wouldn't work-even if I were merely a basic babysitting service. Drop your kid-no structured activities-just basic supervision. But I am N0T even a babysitting service, I am a teacher. I need to teach a pre-planned curriculum ...

When my para-pro was out the district assigned a sub; simple. My family had very little to do w it. They weryse a district employee. I'd come home and say my day sucked-I had a sub-they either were ok but didn't know the drill, so it's always even more embarrassing sub days. Or, day sucked-sub was so annoying-hate them. I'd bet money my younger sibs don't even remember my parapro's name-good.. My mom said recently name sounds familiar but cannot picture em. (and mom met them several times. But it was 20 years ago, my parents lives were whizzing by. Why would it be memorable to my mom? It wouldn't) Because they had very little to nothing to do w us as a family. Because they had their own family!

And show'a not fair to parapro's-they have lives, kids, families, of their own! It's a JOB-they're not at the beck and call of whatever kids family 24/7. My ma wasn't oh I need something for myself, I'll call my kid's aide hired by the BOE-hi can you get me nail polish-my car won't start.

absurd

I can see getting attached to a kiddo-I've been w them for 5 years so I went to their birthday or graduation party held by their family, or horribly parent passed. So I felt the need to attend service; both for myself, I communicated w them about the kid-it's tragic. And of course, I want to be there to help the child through it. But not oh I am at their house daily for hours, just whatever family needs. again-absurd..

I liked Myra's paranoia about sickness. My nana was like that-so my mom was like that-so now I am like that. We don't touch things. If you're sick-don't come over, duh....... I'd be more like don't get us sick-if i had kids-i am sure. sickroom-well room-yep, sounds like us..

But why do they need to make that a "special needs thing?" Grrr, I know parents w all typical kids-don't get us sick-it will take 5 weeks to work it's way through my whole house. Just no..

So great acting, thank you for casting an actor w cp!! Like the family-but stupid writing.
    Jul97, Great! I will await your reply. I agree the insurance rep plot was a bit unbelievable in "Hero". I didn’t see the 1/18 episode yet because I was not home and the website hasn’t unlocked the episode yet. (I need a password and couldn’t find the password) So I cannot give my specific thoughts until the episode is unlocked but I have a feeling you are right. The funny thing is is that when I was really young in first grade I actually thought teachers and paras lived in the schools and had no life outside of school LOL. Of course as I got older I saw that teachers and paras had very full lives with children.spouses,hobbies, and were actually capable of getting sick,becoming pregnant etc. Like you I don't even really remember my paras but I would get upset if they were not feeling well. I can tell you for a fact that you are right about a sibling acting as para being impossible especially given Dylan's age. Once one of my able bodied friends had asked if she could fill in for my para in a fun playful way and the teacher said "That would be illegal. A student cannot be in charge of another student". I think they try to imply that Kenneth is estranged from his family hence the closeness with JJ's family. My biggest problem with the show in general was always its writing. I will give my full thoughts once I see the episode. :)
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-23-2017 at 04:20 PM.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

Finally had a chance to watch “Sick Day”. Now that I have seen the whole thing I generally like the episode. I see they got the fact that some people with disabilities,specifically people with CP like me having slightly lower immunity thing right. I had that for my early school years. It was harder for my body to bounce back and the doc told us it was partly because of my CP and premature birth. The “sick room” was a cute idea. I also really liked the PT scene at the beginning since that's how my family helped me with PT. I also like that the dad got to be appreciated and that JJ was acting like an older wiser brother. I don’t think Dylan filling in for one day is completely out of the realm of possibility if she were an adult, but because she is a kid it is likely impossible. The part that is most inaccurate was how Kenneth was at home with Maya when he should be at school with JJ. That was just odd. I have a feeling they just had Dylan fill in for Kenneth only for the sake of JJ being the protective sibling without giving deeper thought to it. So good character development with poor plot structure in my opinion. Didn't see any new episodes on the site after this one so just waiting for the new ones.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 02-07-2017 at 11:48 PM.

Finally had a chance to watch “Sick Day”. Now that I have seen the whole thing I generally like the episode. I see they got the fact that some people with disabilities,specifically people with CP like me having slightly lower immunity thing right. I had that for my early school years. It was harder for my body to bounce back and the doc told us it was partly because of my CP and premature birth. The “sick room” was a cute idea. I also really liked the PT scene at the beginning since that's how my family helped me with PT. I also like that the dad got to be appreciated and that JJ was acting like an older wiser brother. I don’t think Dylan filling in for one day is completely out of the realm of possibility if she were an adult, but because she is a kid it is likely impossible. The part that is most inaccurate was how Kenneth was at home with Maya when he should be at school with JJ. That was just odd. I have a feeling they just had Dylan fill in for Kenneth only for the sake of JJ being the protective sibling without giving deeper thought to it. So good character development with poor plot structure in my opinion. Didn't see any new episodes on the site after this one so just waiting for the new ones.
    I also liked the PT scene in the beginning-so brought back memories.

I do not feel those who have cp are Immunity compromised! I cannot speak for you, or anyone else on braintalk. But, as far as myself, cdc lie just to get us to blindly comply w pharma lobbying. However, don't want to get into the vaccine debate here-not the place. CP makes being sick harder, cp makes everything harder. That doesn't mean I get sick easier, when I get sick the strain is worse or more dangerous, or I am sick longer. (Except for that one time in 11th grade I stretched out a simple cold to miss a whole week-ha-ha) But all kidding aside, there's no proof that I get sick easier, it's more intense or it lasts longer; not buying it.

There hasn't been a new one in a few weeks. Next week 2/15, there is a valentine's day one.. Barf, I am in a crunchy mood, as always

Blog Entries

I also liked the PT scene in the beginning-so brought back memories.

I do not feel those who have cp are Immunity compromised! I cannot speak for you, or anyone else on braintalk. But, as far as myself, cdc lie just to get us to blindly comply w pharma lobbying. However, don't want to get into the vaccine debate here-not the place. CP makes being sick harder, cp makes everything harder. That doesn't mean I get sick easier, when I get sick the strain is worse or more dangerous, or I am sick longer. (Except for that one time in 11th grade I stretched out a simple cold to miss a whole week-ha-ha) But all kidding aside, there's no proof that I get sick easier, it's more intense or it lasts longer; not buying it.

There hasn't been a new one in a few weeks. Next week 2/15, there is a valentine's day one.. Barf, I am in a crunchy mood, as always
    I am kind of a special case maybe. I was very premature and was unable to receive any collqustrum from breast feeding as I am adopted. So my colds lasted longer. My family did not buy the pharma lobbying either. When I went into grade school my family made sure that if I was required to receive a shot I did not receive them all at once. I'm really glad they did this since now some people think the childhood shots are leading to autoimmune disease like type 1 diabetes. No I don't think shots lead to autism!! I'm talking about other studies done in recent years. I also have skipped flu shots when we could not find the mercury free type and did fine without it because I changed my diet to compensate for lower immunity and I no longer have the problem. As for JJ, getting sick would not be dangerous but from my experience with people with CP who are non verbal it does indeed take them longer to recover because its harder for them to cough due to poor muscle control. So this part of the episode is not entirely wrong. Well I'll review the valentines one when I can then!

I am kind of a special case maybe. I was very premature and was unable to receive any collqustrum from breast feeding as I am adopted. So my colds lasted longer. My family did not buy the pharma lobbying either. When I went into grade school my family made sure that if I was required to receive a shot I did not receive them all at once. I'm really glad they did this since now some people think the childhood shots are leading to autoimmune disease like type 1 diabetes. No I don't think shots lead to autism!! I'm talking about other studies done in recent years. I also have skipped flu shots when we could not find the mercury free type and did fine without it because I changed my diet to compensate for lower immunity and I no longer have the problem. As for JJ, getting sick would not be dangerous but from my experience with people with CP who are non verbal it does indeed take them longer to recover because its harder for them to cough due to poor muscle control. So this part of the episode is not entirely wrong. Well I'll review the valentines one when I can then!

Glad what your parents did worked for you. I do believe vaccines can cause autism and every other condition/disease. I refuse to get a flu shot-ever.

And I have no knowledge of getting say a nasty cold w/o cp; how do I know if it's worse? I can never compare it to myself w the same whatever without cp, not possible.

I half watched the Valentines day one, I just the summary is the series is for a younger audience than myself; therefore, I wish it well but don't feel it will ever capture me-it's a kids show!

I am sorry I said the Valentines one was next week; it's tonight.

10. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Glad what your parents did worked for you. I do believe vaccines can cause autism and every other condition/disease. I refuse to get a flu shot-ever.

And I have no knowledge of getting say a nasty cold w/o cp; how do I know if it's worse? I can never compare it to myself w the same whatever without cp, not possible.

I half watched the Valentines day one, I just the summary is the series is for a younger audience than myself; therefore, I wish it well but don't feel it will ever capture me-it's a kids show!

I am sorry I said the Valentines one was next week; it's tonight.
    Oh darn! I missed the episode. No problem. I'll watch it once the website unlocks the episode then. :) I have spoken to a few people with autism who had their symptoms start before they had shots so perhaps there are multiple ways of getting autism. I definitely think shots cause health issues because one of my friends miscarried a baby shortly after getting a flu shot.

Oh darn! I missed the episode. No problem. I'll watch it once the website unlocks the episode then. :) I have spoken to a few people with autism who had their symptoms start before they had shots so perhaps there are multiple ways of getting autism. I definitely think shots cause health issues because one of my friends miscarried a baby shortly after getting a flu shot.
    I'd never say it was the only cause of autism./ There are many causes of CP, there's many causes of autism, I feel vaccines are one.. Controversial but..

Sorry about your friend miscarrying.

13. The following user says "thanks"

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast