IVIG infusion and trip to ER today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVIG infusion and trip to ER today

They're supposed to infuse it over four hours, but can't seem to do it past 3 hrs 40 minutes. The slower the infusion, the less side effects.

Got home this afternoon and began to runa fever. 99.4 then 99.6 then 100. Neuro on vacation. His partner said go to ER, sounds like a reaction to the IVIG. Probably he was worried about sepsis, a rare side effect.

DH out of town until late tonight of course, so my surfing buddy met up with me.

Blood pressure and heart rate were high in ER so I got taken in very fast. Maybe total wait was ten mi nUtes before triage,

They put in an I.V in case, did blood work, urine test, chest X-ray, flu swab-- all looked good. No sign of sepsis.

Gave Tylenol and sent me home and said come back if the fever spikes up. Hoping will be all. Error in the morning.

You bet I will talk to neuro about prescribing five hours instead of four next time.

Geesh that was kind of scary.

Glad your problems got taken care of--and went away. I wonder why they can't extend the infusion for the full 4 hours? That 20 minutes lopped off might make a difference, seems to me.

Stay well, BBS!
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I hope you are well and stay well, BBS.

Chocolate for you,
      ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

BBS, sorry there was a problem this time. Linda use to have to be pre-medicated before taking IVIg. I thought that was a rare case, but maybe not so rare.

Take care, eat Ann's chocolate and keep us informed.
        Virginia

Comment

Glad your safe!
          Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
          My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Thank you to all. My neuro is on vacation. I will ask when he returns I two weeks about a game plan re pre Meds, longer infusion.

Nurse said last month when it came up short of 4 hours they program it in for 4 but that it's inexact. My first two times only took 2 hours 40 minutes. Then I found out he had prescribed FOUR hours. So, I reminded nurse on the third infusion.

Maybe if he prescribes five hours, it will come up short at 4 hours40 minutes :)

Comment

(((((BBS)))))
              Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Sorry those are being so tough on you. Indeed, the fusion time is an estimate, not exact...although it should be within 20 minutes one way or the other of the set time. I hope you can get it figured out.
                ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Comment

I spoke to the nurse today and she will write an order to infuse over 5 to 6 hours. She also said I can try to take Tylenol during treatment, but I think I will hold off on that unless I start a fever. Want to see if the slower infusion helps.

Comment

Good luck!!
                    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Working...
                    X