Page 1 of 35 1234561131 ... LastLast

Thread: OT September Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Default OT September Chit Chat

Hows it going ?,, going here,, things are dueable,,

Tomorrow we load our horse trailer up with our youngest son's furniture and take him to where his new IT tech job is,, bout 2 hours north of us,, going to miss him, but also thrilled for him.also will try to catch our grandsons football game on the way home

Canning finally {?} done ,, we put up so much salsa..hot/mild/smoky and sweet, 4 different kinds,,

My brother has lymphobia cancer,early stages of it,, he had one round of chemo, handling it well,,Joe{hubby},, his sister is real sick,, her platelettes {sp} keep dropping to fast and a constant nose bleed,,they are giving her solumedrol, and its helping

later then
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

2. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Peg, I'm so sorry you have more serious illness in the family. Those medical people can pull rabbits out of hats and do all kinds of magic tricks to cure people of some disorders. I hope they'll work some magic with your brother and Joe's sister too.

Your youngest son will be 2 hours away? Too bad he won't be closer.

Grandson's football game? That wouldn't be Thain, would it? But he was just born!
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peg, I'm so sorry you have more serious illness in the family. Those medical people can pull rabbits out of hats and do all kinds of magic tricks to cure people of some disorders. I hope they'll work some magic with your brother and Joe's sister too.

Your youngest son will be 2 hours away? Too bad he won't be closer.

Grandson's football game? That wouldn't be Thain, would it? But he was just born!
    he is 9,, acts like his dad,, hahah ,,grandpa is taking him hunting {youth hunt} in a couple of weeks..>> deer hunting
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

6. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Agate, I'm with you, Thain was JUST born! No wonder my back hurts!
    Roswell was a gift.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Good morning all! Tomorrow is the much awaited payday! I just ate oatmeal for breakfast, the last of that, and will have a Compleat's meal later with a buttered Texas toast. After that, I won't have a crumb of food left!

Never again will I let myself fall into such tough times. Next time, I'm going to eat the cats!
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Peg, sorry about your brother and Joe's sister. That is a lot of, not so good, stuff going on at one time.

I agree with Agate and Howie, Thain was just born. They sure start them out early with the ball.

Two hours is not that bad for your son to be away. At least it is close enough he can come home most any time he wants.

Howie, glad the food has held out - just barely. One way I make sure my money lasts through the month, is that I take out a certain amount at first of month for food, and just running around stuff. I take out a certain amount of that each Friday and not before. A friend of mine taught me this many years ago. She said it was one way she kept from going broke and always had the basics met. I thought it was a good idea and I have just continued to do it to this day.
    Virginia

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, are you saying that you make sure you set aside some funds that will be there for you at the end of the month? That sounds like a good idea.

I always keep enough cash on hand so that if I need to use a taxi in an emergency, I'll have it there. And if I run out of money in my checking account, that cash is there. And in a pinch there are the laundry quarters. Sometimes I have $10 or $20 in laundry quarters sitting here.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

September the month I was wed! Favorite month!

Happy September everyone!
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 09-01-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

16. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Sally, Happy Upcoming Anniversary!

Agate, many years ago I asked an older friend how to save money. She told me what she did was she took (at that time) $100.00 per week out and tried to see how much she could have left at the end of the week. She said it was like a game to her. She left the rest in her checking to pay all her bills. She bought her groceries and had her spending money out of the $100.00.

I started doing the same thing. It takes more money now of course. I count how many Fridays there will be in a month and take out that much in cash at the first of the month. Then each Friday I take my money out of the envelope where I keep it and that is my grocery money and spending money for the upcoming week. Everything else is in my checking account and I can pay bills on line, use a debit card or credit card for other things that I do not consider things I should take out of my weekly cash.

I have through many years gotten so use to doing this that I am very careful not to spend any of my spending money before I take it out for the upcoming week.

All this sounds silly I know, but I only make one trip to the bank per month and it is something I got use to doing when I really needed to save money. Back then I was putting myself on a budget. Now I could do it by using my debit card and credit card more, but I seem to do a little better with money. I know exactly what is in the bank from my monthly income without having to think about food and spending money.

I think most of us have our own little ways of budgeting and this has worked for me. When I was working I didn't tell anyone I did this because I knew they would laugh at me, but back during that time it helped me save a little. Sometime if I am careful it will build up to a point that I have $200.00 to $300.00 extra in my billfold. At that point I will think about what I need as far as makeup and that type thing and just go buy it without having to take anymore out of the bank.

Another thing that I do is I always keep a yellow sticky on my desk that list all my bills. I pay my electric bill on an average so it stays the same for a year. Each time something is paid I check it off. I know that I have to save for my car insurance, house insurance, house taxes and any work that I have done on my house.

Anyway, it just keeps me straight. I have always made a budget even during the years when my husband was alive and there were no money worries. I think it was just something that, for me, was how I started out and became a habit.
    Virginia

18. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Wow, September already! Where did the summer go. Kids back to school, Labor Day weekend, fall in the air. Went here from blazing hot two days ago to possible FROST in northern Wisconsin tonight!! FROST!!

I'm still here. Still struggling with physical therapy. Have to remind myself I've really only been fully out of bed for 2 months. Previous to that for two months was totally bedbound, and for several years, there, partially bedbound-- in bed at least half the day. So...if I look back..I'm doing good. Just not as good as I WANNA be.

Budgeting is always burdensome...but necessary. I use the "envelope" trick: have one envelope for each of the necessities or "fixed expenses", assuming a once a month payday), put in that envelope how much needed for each -- like, gas, electric, rent. Mark on the envelope the day due (or the day the check has to go in the mail). Then an envelope for anything I know will have to be done, like house repair, or car repair. What is left gets divided by four, one for each week. When the week envelope is empty...it's empty. I make do til next week. If there happens to be some left over, it gets moved into the next week. At the end of the month, if there is anything left over, it gets moved to savings. Some weeks I may not open the envelope at all, but spend two weeks envelopes in one grocery run. When I get groceries, I always buy something extra..can of beans, or soup, or hash, or something that is non perishable (or freezer safe), set it aside, so if I come up short at the end of the month, there's something in reserve. Then replenish at the earliest opportunity. And so on.

I'm thankful now that I don't have to be this rigid in my spending..but I still reach for envelopes to be sure I have taken care of the essentials before I head off somewhere "fun".
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Page 1 of 35 1234561131 ... LastLast