Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lazy eye/difference in size

Default Lazy eye/difference in size

For the last year or so my left eye appears noticeably larger than the right. We all have one eye that's bigger but now it's literally showing up.
    It also appears crossed or lazy in most of my pictures. It's so dreadful I beg people to let me see any pictures taken. Any input would be appreciated

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Welcome, Petpuppy.

Are you in the MS boat? If so, I am truly sorry.

As far as the eye, I don't know any MS reason for a size difference. Lots of eyepain/ vision problems but not one becoming larger.

Have you seen an MD about it?

Regards,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome back, petpuppy!

I've had the eye problem you're talking about--for years. I've avoided saving any photos where it shows but my eyes often look weird in a photo or if I look in a mirror. My left eye veers off to one side and sometimes has a glassy appearance. Sometimes one eye seems larger than the other, and a droopy eyelid shows up too, now and then.

It seems to be part of this disorder.

Being able to see tolerably well is something I really appreciate. As long as my eyes let me see enough to get along, I don't care that much what they look like.

It's an attitude that comes over you if you've had this MS for a while. You just stop caring how you look. We've been talking about how much attention we give or used to give to professional hair and nail care and to clothes, for instance. Seems as if a lot of us have given up on caring much about shoes, clothes, or our hair and nails--or we never cared much about them to begin with.

But there are occupations and situations where your appearance really matters. If you happen to be in one of those, I can understand that you'd be concerned.

MS plays havoc with your appearance and your self-esteem in many ways. Not fun.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

I was diagnosed with ms on 2003. When I was working i often had to take steroids and I came to the point where I didn't worry or care about my weight or appearance. This eye situation bothers me because had it not been for photos at family gatherings I wouldn't have known that's how I'm looking. I wish I could have the attitude that I'm just going to be grateful for what I have but it bothers me everyday. I was just wondering if others were experiencing it. Thanks for the feedback

8. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Well, if you're talking about photos, they can catch you at odd moments and misrepresent you.

In the normal course of your vision, your eyes are in strange positions sometimes without your realizing it. The camera may have captured one of those times. I'm wondering how many photos show this? All of them, and are they recent?

If it's not just photos but something you've seen in a mirror, or something someone has mentioned,MS can do things to us that we aren't aware of unless we look in a mirror, have a photo taken, or someone lets us know. We're numb in places, and sometimes the numbness comes and goes--so we're not always numb. We may be numb but parts of us can still move, but we don't know how those parts are moving.

I've noticed a hand, an arm, or a leg in a very weird position when I look at it. I had no idea it was that way until I happened to look. In fact, some of those positions are so weird that I never knew my hand or arm or leg could do that. What a surprise.

There's just never a dull moment.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Cool

:) Hi Petpuppy I hope you will have an eye doctor check it. When I started seeing bright spots in my right eye I just thought I had optic neuritis. BIG mistake.

My retina was detaching and I almost lost sight in that eye. I had emergency surgery to place a buckle on the retina. After my vision was 20/400 or legally blind in that eye.

With glasses it is 20/200 but still legally blind. I also had to have both eyes operated on for cataracts. My left eye is 20/25 with glasses.

Glad you are back with us. Jeanie :)

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Petpuppy,

Another possibility is Graves disease, a thyroid auto- immune disease. The eyes often look big and surprised. One can look larger than the other. There are many signs and symptoms w this disorder so seeing a doctor who knows you, would be a start. Time is important. Read about it and see what you think.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I have lazy eye and it squints more than the other.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sally, you weren't born with a lazy eye, probably? Neither was I. Some people are but in others it shows up for some reason (like MS).

When my left eye is wandering off to the side, my vision in that eye is blurred.

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

The eye Doc said I was born with it???
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast