Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible down time for BT within 2 days

Howdy folks

I just checked the email account that is set up to get notices from our server and it appears that the payment was declined by Dr. Hoch. I don't know why and I'm hoping to get in touch with him before the host shuts us down for non payment. Just be aware that it's possible BT will be offline for a little bit.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Mike, how much does it cost? What can we do?

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

There are over 25 people who visit the MS board regularly. I hope this down time won't happen. Please do let us know if we can help in any way.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

((((((Mike)))))) ~

I'm joining Ann and Joan in offering to assist. We may not be the bustling place we once were, but this is still home to us. Thanks for all you do for us ~

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

In case of emergency downtime: meet at Agate's.

See Agate's profile for directions to her "home." Best to get them now before you need them.

ANN

Comment

Scary ! We oldsters don't like changes. Hope I make it back on??
            Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

Many of us have been around here for 15+ years in spite of quite a few times when the place was down. This is probably another of those bumps in the road.

Let's hope the problem will be fixed soon--and many thanks to those who provide this place!
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

BT's host charges us $34 a month and that's a grandfathered discount plan I worked out a long time ago. I'm waiting for the host to get back to me to see about keeping us online and will post again when I know more. Thanks for the offer to help it's greatly appreciated :)

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Are we back on yet?
                  or off n on yet?
                  Love, Sally

Comment

I kept the power on for another month via Paypal. I'll get in touch with Dr. Hoch to find a solution. Off to work I go.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Thanks for doing that, Mike.
                      ANN

Comment

I'm sure everyone here appreciates your efforts towards keeping this place up and running!

Some time ago we were told that we could help support BrainTalk by signing up for iGive and listing BrainTalk Communities Inc. so that places where we shop will donate to BrainTalk. I did that for a while but gave up on it when some problems with my computer made dealing with it difficult. I've just reactivated my account at iGive.

Over at iGive I'm told that I've raised $22 of the $99 raised for BrainTalk Communities. $77 must have been raised by other people who signed up with iGive.

Hardly a fortune but maybe every bit helps. There is a very long list of stores that participate, and the percentage donated varies from <1% to at least 12% of your purchases.

Unfortunately Amazon isn't among the listed stores but there are a jillion others.

I can't find any mention of iGive here on BrainTalk though. Maybe there's a sticky thread somewhere?

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Please just remove this post if iGive has turned out to be more trouble than it's worth for BrainTalk.

Comment

Is BT still a 501 C3 charitable organization? If so we could donate directly but we need to know how to make the check out and where to send it.

ANN

Comment

A big thank you Mike!!!
                            Love, Sally

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
                              Is BT still a 501 C3 charitable organization? If so we could donate directly but we need to know how to make the check out and where to send it.

ANN
                              According to the FAQ,

BrainTalk Communities, Inc. is now a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation with public charity status.Currently, the BrainTalk site and all activities regarding BrainTalk are completely independent of Massachusetts General Hospital. BrainTalk is now a completely separate project, existing as a formal corporate entity. BrainTalk is completely funded by individual user donations and Google AdSense advertising.
                              --And it's been around since 1993. That's 23 years! Isn't that a very long time for the Internet? Maybe BT could advertise itself as the neurology message board that has stood the test of time?
                              Last edited by agate; 08-07-2016, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X