Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probably a whisper away from being diagnosed.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a whisper away from being diagnosed.............

30 years ago had MS symptoms, Dr. said we would treat them by symptom, and now.....I walk like a drunk and crash into things since 6/2016. It is resolving, maybe 50% and I CAN CONTROL IT. I have had 30 good years!!!!! She ordered MRI brain, lumbar, thoracic and cervical. So far all clear but some demyelinated areas ( chronic) nothing acute in brain, motor cortex right side. Radiologist said "suggestive of MS." ( Matched the MRI of 30 years ago.) She said I have some right sided weakness, so I went off to P.T. , who said "VERY LITTLE WEAKNESS." I see neurologist end of month and my question is: SHOULD I BUY A BOX OF WINE TO CALM ME DOWN?"
    Thank you. This is my first post.
    Judith2

((((((Judith2)))))) ~

TO BRAINTALK!

I recommend that you post on our MS forum:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

The MS forum is our most active forum, with many friendly, experienced, caring, and knowledgeable members.

Just copy and paste the contents of your post here to a new thread on the MS forum, so you don't have to retype/explain.

Your frustration is certainly understandable. Start with a deep breath or two, and then maybe one glass of wine.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Yes Judith, I too walk like a drunk and crash into things for many years. All those tests are fine, but I PERSONALLY would never get a lumbar. It's not needed in these modern times. I only had several blood tests, and an MRI which lit up like a Christmas tree, and got my DX.

Come on over to the MS forum. We speak your language. Oh, and bring your wine.
      Last edited by Howie; 08-02-2016, 03:19 PM.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Nice to meet you, Judith. I agree with Rose. Come over to the MS forum.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Comment

Hi Judith, and

I'm from the MS board and saw your post. As Rose said, it is an active board and many of the people there have had a lot of experience with MS and will welcome you, even if it turns out that you don't have MS.

When you mention lumbar, are you saying you had a lumbar MRI? Many people mean a lumbar puncture, which is a different test entirely and may be what Howie means when he says he'd never have a lumbar.

He's right--the lumbar puncture (or spinal tap) isn't done very much any more but once was a standard test to help diagnose MS.

Anyway, you mention bumping into things since June of this year. That isn't a very long time in the MS universe. Those symptoms just might get better--or might be connected with some other problem that is correctable.

Worrying about whether you have MS isn't going to improve anything but that's easy for someone to say, isn't it? While waiting for the appointment with the neurologist, you might want to jot down any odd symptoms you've had, including any vision problems or bladder issues or episodes of numbness or tingling or an inability to move some part. You'll need to know when that was and how long it lasted.

I'm not trying to help you to get diagnosed with MS because of course you don't want that, but if you do have MS and you haven't given the information to the neurologist that will aid in that diagnosis, you might end up in limbo for all too long--wondering what is wrong with you but with no clear answer. A person finds it hard to make plans in that situation.

You don't want to go in there giving the doctor a long list of trivial symptoms but it is hard to know what a neurologist regards as trivial. You'll need to play it by ear. If the doctor seems receptive, you can mention some of the concerns on your list, maybe even all of them.

How is your walking in general? Can you walk normally most of the time, and can you walk for an extended period of time without problems--say, half an hour or more? If you have any gait problems, I'd recommend mentioning them because apparently many neuros don't check walking very thoroughly. Bumping into things indicates that you're having gait problems.

If you are diagnosed with MS, be assured that people do live with it, usually fairly normally, and our life expectancy is almost as long as the average person's.
          Last edited by agate; 08-02-2016, 03:45 PM.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Welcome to BrainTalk, Judith.

See you around the forums.

ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Agate, you are exactly right, I was talking about a lumbar puncture. I read it later, and saw how it could easily be misunderstood. Thanks for pointing that out!
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Judith2, when the doctor who thought you had MS 30 years ago mentioned treating the symptoms as they came along, did you have any treatment? It sounds as if you haven't ever had any treatment for MS, but maybe you did?
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Working...
                X