Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345671232 ... LastLast

Thread: OT July Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BBS, there was a guy here long ago. He was an ex-Army guy. Went from rank in the Army to a wheelchair, very quickly. But he loved to water ski. So he had a rig built that was like a chair on a surfboard. If it comes to that, it can be done. Fight for what you love doing, as long, and any way you can!
    Wow! I wonder what became of him.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Peg for once again getting us started. As usual you are a busy beaver. It must be wonderful to ride a horse. Why don't you get someone to take a picture of you on your horse and post it. We would love to see it. Hope well project goes smoothly. Also hope the infusion continues to go well. I asked way back last month what you were on. I am sure you have posted it and I missed. Would you tell us again please?

Well, hate to tell everyone that their theory about being born in summer and winter and liking those seasons is just not always true. I was a July baby born at home with no A/C. I do not like summer anymore.

Agate, if not for the sugar I would start drinking ice tea again. I use to love it. Coffee has too much caffeine and gives me worse tremors. Ice tea would if I drank too much, but I can drink decaf ice tea and be alright. I do not like decaf coffee. The sugar is what stops me.

Howie, do you happen to know a family up your way - man's name is Hugh Wyatt? He is about 75 years old. His wife was 65 and died suddenly of heart attack 2 months ago. All the family live where you do and have always done so, therefore thought you might know them.

BBS, no wonder you have not been going out at night. You get up at dawn to go surfing and if I am not mistaken you then go to work. Don't you think this might be the reason you get a little tired early at night. Still it is wonderful that you can do this and enjoy it so much. Bet your hubby is very proud of you for staying out there and sticking to it.
    Virginia

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Virginia, I really don't know anyone here. I'm from a little further north. My sister found this place for me when my disability went through. And I'm a real homebody. I don't go out except to the doctor every 6 months, and the grocery store. But I am the cat daddy, and my girls keep me busy right here at home.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    Surfed today at dawn.

Spoke to guy who made my board. He made one for a guy paralyzed from waist down. It has a well in it so it's harder to roll off. The guy crawls to the shore like an army guy crawling on the ground. Recommends an 11' board. That would require a new car, so I will wait until can't walk anymore and need to get the board made.
    Excuse me but that's the wrong way of putting it, BBS. How about: "...I will wait and if I can't walk anymore..." You're assuming that a time will come when you won't walk any more. Try assuming that you'll always be walking, and if something happens where you can't, you'll cross that bridge.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

8. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Agate, I wish I could give my brother some of that positive outlook. He has Leukemia, and although it is being quiet, and could his whole life, I think it's whipping him mentally.

It really surfaced last weekend, and I wish he would see a doctor for an AD that works, but he has a strange view of ADs. Last weekend pulled me away from MY positive outlook, but never again.
    Roswell was a gift.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

In the end it's up to each person to do what needs to be done, though, isn't it?

I have a similar problem with my son, who is diabetic and needs to lose weight. It breaks my heart to see how short of breath he gets.

I get so worried about it sometimes that it really gets to be a problem. That's a good time to keep telling myself that I can do only so much, and it's his life. He can do what he needs to do to keep it from ending too soon or he can go on pretending he's immortal.

I do know that one of the worst things I can do is to mention my concern to him. Some people respond well to hearing that a relative is worried about their health, etc., and others don't.
    Last edited by agate; 07-01-2016 at 12:19 PM.

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Some can see you are telling the absolute truth about something that is for their own good, and others don't want to. He and his new wife could get into an exercise, or eating program together, and it would be easier. They could encourage each other. But the hardest thing is taking that first step.
    Roswell was a gift.

14. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

I used to assume I would always walk. This past week or so, though, makes me think maybe not. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

I only work 25 or so hours a week. And I only get up that early on surfing days. Gotta be there very early to avoid the heat, the crowd, and the afternoon T storms etc. bedtime is 8:00 pm 7 days per week,

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Some can see you are telling the absolute truth about something that is for their own good, and others don't want to. He and his new wife could get into an exercise, or eating program together, and it would be easier. They could encourage each other. But the hardest thing is taking that first step.
    There are people who can't be told anything by anyone else.

I used to assume I would always walk. This past week or so, though, makes me think maybe not. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    BBS, I guess what was bothering me was that you seemed to be assuming that a day would come when you couldn't walk. Glad to know that's not the way it is.

For anyone who is missing out on 4th of July picnics and watermelon, here are some baby possums feasting on watermelon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bidKbF8JSs

Maybe you call them opossums. I've always called them possums.
    Last edited by agate; 07-01-2016 at 02:47 PM.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) Wow horseback riding, surfing, I feel like a slug. I go from the bed to the computer chair and back to bed.

I also thought I would be walking forever but with no balance I use the scooter and only stand and take a few steps when I need to change to the computer chair or dining room chair or the bathroom. I have to hold on to things when I walk to keep from falling. The bathroom door is too narrow for the scooter, so I park it by the door and hold on to grab bars to go in there. I have bars for the toilet and the shower.

I am worried about Lacy shaking so much because of the fireworks. She is so tiny 4.5 lbs and can't afford to lose weight. I had to cancel my hair appointment to get color as it was too hot to go out. Now I have to wait a week.

Also here we are having green algae in the rivers and the beaches because the Army Corp of Engineers and the South Florida Water Management District are sending millions of gallons East from Lake Okeechobee because they think the berm around the lake might give way.

This has needed fixing for years but they do not get around to it. Now all the businesses that depend on the rivers and the beaches are losing business. A lot of tourist did not come since they cannot go in the water.

My modem is still cutting up some so I worry and save often so I don't lose things I type. The new one came by UPS but I have to wait for Jim to come down to hook it up. Hi Cat Dancer, please check in. Jeanie :)
    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 07-01-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typos

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345671232 ... LastLast