Thread: Some reflections on Brexit and Caregiving

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default Some reflections on Brexit and Caregiving

Hi Everyone! In case you've been following the Brexit referendum in the UK and wondering what it might mean for caregivers, here are my reflections:
    http://www.donnathomson.com/2016/06/...ivers-and.html.

Take care everyone and wishing all your beautiful children a GOOD day today.
    Donna x
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

((((((Donna)))))) ~

As always, a brilliant, insightful blog post from you. I was wondering what your take was on Brexit, and I'm certainly not surprised by your position.

From what I've gleaned from news coverage, many of the Leave voters have Buyer's Remorse, and 3 million Brits want a referendum. I found it disturbing that Brits were actually Googling "What is the EU?" I'm an American, and I know what the EU is!

The entire issue of leaving the EU reminds me of the old adage: cutting off your nose to spite your face.

And let's not forget that an MP, Ms. Cox, was murdered by a Brexit fanatic, because she supported Remaining.

As you stated in your blog post, the victims of Brexit are the poor, disabled, elderly and disenfranchised. This is always the case with any government coup, and even with a change in legislative parties in control by democratic election. In the case of Great Britain, the itinerant caregivers will leave their charges to return to an EU country, and those in need of care will suffer immensely.

The statistics for UK caregivers you provide in your blog post are astonishing. How are people able to care for their loved ones without compensation or some form of employment in their household? Do they all receive government benefits? I don't know how it works there.

In the U.S., the immediate and continuing focus on news outlets was the stock market crashing in the aftermath of Brexit. Because everything is all about MONEY.

I thought about PM Cameron and his billions stashed away in an offshore account, in "honor" of his dead father. It's easy for him to walk away and abandon the sinking ship. He has BILLIONS. And then I thought about all of the people in Britain, who will suffer and struggle with this exit from the EU. The disparity in the distribution of wealth in the world is sickening.

I don't know the answer to any of this, and my head is about to explode thinking of all of the ramifications of Brexit and the upcoming U.S. Presidential election.

We're all just clinging by a thread to get through each day, and come out intact to face the next day. Having all of this political garbage heaped upon our shoulders is overwhelming.

After all that I've lived through in my 6 plus decades on Earth, I am utterly fed up with greed, lying politicians, gun violence, assassinations, wars, pollution and destruction of our planet, and battling The System for the services/supplies we need to provide Jon with the quality of life he deserves. I'm tired of begging. I'm tired of writing letters, making phone calls, sending email to our elected officials. I'm tired of racism, xenophobia, misogyny, inequality, discrimination, corruption, and corporations. I'm tired of worrying about whether the food we consume, or the air we breathe, or the water we drink is slowly killing us. I'm absolutely tired of hatred.

We haven't made progress. We are uncivilized.

I don't want to give up. I'm just too tired to fight all of it anymore. The longer I live, the more I live minute by minute.

And in those minutes, I'm living Love. Because only Love can drive out hate. And I'm trying to live in the Light, because only Light can drive out darkness. The world is crumbling, and this is the only adhesive I have to offer now.

But, it is very difficult to emit positive energy, when you engulfed in negativity from every corner of the world.

Pardon my rant, Donna. I'm just feeling a tad stressed these days, and world events are a contributing factor to that stress, because I know what they portend.

Keep fighting the good fight, my friend ~ and Thank You from those of us, who are too weary to carry the banner any longer.

Love & Light

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Blog Entries

Very good post Donna. I don't know much about the UK or it's politics but I met a new fan of my films today, a former nurse from England who is now disabled and she felt BrEXIT was bad for her old country of England. She's like 77.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Blog Entries

Ahh, thank you Rose and Funnylegs! Rose, you are so right and I agree. We are uncivilized. It's so distressing. Racists are emboldened - it's now open season on immigrants. So scary. And the poor and vulnerable ( including disabled) are to blame for their own challenges. I wonder what happened to the values of Post War Britain when everyone pulled together to create the National Health Service and it was all for one and one for all. It couldn't be different today. It's very worrisome. :(
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

6. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Thomson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh, thank you Rose and Funnylegs! Rose, you are so right and I agree. We are uncivilized. It's so distressing. Racists are emboldened - it's now open season on immigrants. So scary. And the poor and vulnerable ( including disabled) are to blame for their own challenges. I wonder what happened to the values of Post War Britain when everyone pulled together to create the National Health Service and it was all for one and one for all. It couldn't be different today. It's very worrisome. :(
    You're welcome Donna!
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Donna)))))) ~

Quote Originally Posted by Donna Thomson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder what happened to the values of Post War Britain when everyone pulled together to create the National Health Service and it was all for one and one for all. It couldn't be different today. It's very worrisome. :(
    Greater minds than mine can answer that question, but I'm going to offer my thoughts anyway!

After World War II, all Brits were in the same boat essentially. Rich or poor, able or disabled, religious differences, etc. didn't matter as much as rebuilding England, recovering from the trauma, and finding a new normal. I would guess that the same sentiment about the War, that it was just and necessary, was shared among the Brits generally. Patriotism was at its peak, so folks banded together to start life over again.

In the decades since the War, a culture of selfishness evolved into what we are experiencing now. Separation, division, racism, xenophobia, and constant war somewhere in the world. We are fractured; we are exhausted from the incessant barrage of propaganda bombarding us from every angle, only made more pronounced with technology and the Internet.

One example: Selfies. People become obsessed with selfies and posting to social media sites, like Twitter, InstaGram and SnapChat, and so on. Me, Me, Me, Look at ME!

And people hide behind their computer screens and spew hatred to strangers. I tend to read comments after I read a news article to get an idea of the mindset of the population. Every article has commenters, who say horrible, outrageous things just for the sake of doing it.

Our planet is dying. How many people are actively engaged in working toward saving it? Several of my neighbors deny climate change and our drought, while they wash their cars in their driveways, water their lawns every day, and hose down their patios. They also believe that fracking is okay and isn't causing earthquakes.

And, let's face it, the world is run by corporations and the mega-wealthy. Not to mention powerful lobbies, with very deep pockets. The rest of us are pawns.

The world is so complicated now. So violent. Every day, a new mass shooting or bombing. We're still reeling from the Orlando Massacre, and now the suicide bombers in Turkey ~ the continuous loop of news coverage of these attacks, the victims, the perpetrators. It's a never-ending horror film.

I grew up watching the carnage in Vietnam every night on the TV news, and it was graphic and brutal. Not to mention seeing JFK's assassination, RFK's assassination, and MLK Jr.'s assassination. Take it from there, and it's basically nonstop violence to today.

And lying. Lying by politicians to us, the people, who elected them to serve our interests. That is laughable to the maximum. They serve their own interests. A current US Senator and former Presidential Candidate has raked in $7 million plus from NRA donations. Every member of the U.S. Congress is a multimillionaire. Much of that is thanks to insider trading.

Our elected officials are beholden to their sugar daddy donors, and they don't give a fig about any of us. Sure, we can find the occasional "honest" elected official, who does care about us, but on the whole, they are rare.

That is why it is no longer "one for all and all for one!"

Instead, we have: "What's in it for me?"

As Monty Python would say, "This is my theory."

And I'm sticking to it.

Ready for any and all responses ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.