Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345671232 ... LastLast

Thread: OT June Chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

ANN, there's an App for times when you can't go on and are stranded somewhere? Or maybe you mean that you contacted Uber to bail you out?

Maybe the whale-watches will have taken some pix of the whales they saw. It's too bad when you give out and have to disappoint people but I always figure they'd be far more upset if I gave out and fell and had to be carted off to an ER.

Jeanie, I had a shredder for a while but emptying it was almost impossible. Its lid was heavy, and it had to be oiled every time it was emptied too. I gave it away. Good riddance. I tear things up instead of shredding them. If there's something like a bank or credit card number on a piece of paper, I'm really careful about how I tear it up.

There are shredding services here too. On certain days (I think) people can go and have their papers shredded.

Virginia, that does sound like a lovely dress!

Food to keep on hand in case I run out of food--I always have a few cans of soup and a couple of packages of Zatarain's red beans and rice. You just need some oil or margarine, and a pan on top of the stove, and you have 3 meals from one package. It's not very high in protein, and so a bit of cheese or an egg on the side, maybe. I try never to run out of eggs.

A few scrambled eggs or hard-boiled eggs are a great way to have an easy dinner if you add a vegetable or two.

And I wouldn't be without peanut butter and a supply of nuts.

Zatarain used to have black beans and rice too but I haven't seen it in a while. They're a company in New Orleans and specialize in New Orleans flavors.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Agate, you use the Uber App to contact them. Very helpful. Free App. Rides are cheaper than cabs, cleaner vehichles and quicker to get to you. At least here.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, thanks for reminding me - I do have some canned chili beans and regular rice on hand. Never heard of Zatarain. Sounds like it comes in some kind of package. Is that right?

I don't think we have heard from Nuthatch or Cat in a little while. Hope Cat is still doing well. She should be about ready to start her exercising now.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, here's a link to Zatarain on Facebook, and the typical package is shown at the top. I've tried only the black beans and rice and the red beans and rice but have been using them for years.

https://www.facebook.com/Zatarains

Nuthatch is taking a break for a while if I understand it right. I hope she decides on a short break.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, I hope she decides on a short one also.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Hi, y'all��. I'm.still here, still.in bed. Stitches are all.out and the surface appears healed, but the doctor reminds me that the initial wound was deep, so he wants to.be sure that is fully healed before I move around too.much.
    The visiting nurse will come on Friday to check it, then call the doctor for further instructions. She'll remind him than I have a stand lift here, so I could be lifted into the shower and out again, so perhaps I could at least shower a couple of times a week! Bed baths are getting pretty old, and my hair is a mess: dry shampoo just doesn't work well. I'd be happy if I could at least do that, and perhaps sit up on the edge of the bed several times a day, and do some minimal exercises from there. We'll just have to see what he says. Friday will be five weeks; he wanted me immobile for six.

The visiting nurses are already planning to come no more than once a month now, just to change my catheter. Of course they'd come if I had any medical problem, but as of now all they're doing is watching the wound heal...and it has. Now I will have to get serious about the physical therapy and get moving again.

Tom Cat and I celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary yesterday. Exchanged cards (I bought mine months ago before I went for surgery; Tom Cat bought his the night before). Otherwise standard routine filled the day: I stayed in bed, Tom Cat did a couple of loads of wash, took one ailing cat to the vet, took a load of trash to the dump, brought me in a bunch of flowers from our garden and prairie. Then cooked a ham steak, baked potato, and Cole slaw for dinner. Poor guy really is tired. I don't so much feel guilty that I'm such a burden to him -- I'd do the same for him if I could. Rather I regret that my health has required such efforts from him. Such is life.

Food. I've always been obsessed about food. From the first days of setting up my own household, I have always had a freezer, and have always "bought ahead": bought more than I've needed to get us through the month, and a little extra. Sometimes that was only a can of beans,or a can of tuna, sometimes more. We married young, both of us still in college, and were our poorest and on food stamps, but even then I'd find a way to set something aside"just in case". It wasn't too long before my pantry and freezer were full, and least full enough to feed us, and very often stray students and friends. Right now I could not spend another dime at the grocery store and there would be enough food to feed us for well over a month. Meals probably would not be balanced, we'd not have,fresh veggies or fruit, but there,are frozen veggies, fruit, meat and fish enough, and canned goods enough, that we'd manage to feed us and a couple more folks.

I hope those of you whose sole income is social security realize that you may also be eligible for food stamps, health and cooling subsidies, and in some states, property tax relief if you own your own home! No shame at all in accepting any of those services, and the food stamp program would at least help pay for basic commodities.

That's al the news,from around here. Tom Cat is being woken up by the beasts, wanting their breakfast...

12. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

"June is busting out all over" Sing it with me now.

Hot as hell here but cooling to the mid 70s this weekend.

I'm doing ok just slowing down is all. Getting old sucks!

Hope you all are well and my love to you all!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Happy 48th anniversary to Cat and Tom Cat!

Sounds as if your recovery plan is moving forward nicely and real progress has been made.

Virginia, you're right--this housing is truly a great deal. I believe renee is in a similar situation. Hope she's doing OK and will let us know.

SuzE-Q, I hope your fall did no lasting damage. I've noticed that if I do everything very slowly I'm better at avoiding falls as well as mistakes, spills, etc. Having too much on my "mind" can be bad news.

I put the "mind" in quotes because I'm not sure I still have one but like to think I do!

The weather forecast for the weekend here is for temperatures over 100'--I'll be staying in and hoping that the forecast will be wrong.
    Last edited by agate; 06-02-2016 at 07:52 AM.

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member jendie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "June is busting out all over" Sing it with me now.

Hot as hell here but cooling to the mid 70s this weekend.

I'm doing ok just slowing down is all. Getting old sucks!

Hope you all are well and my love to you all!
    Mother Nature is STILL drunk. Our temps have bounced around a lot. Starting in April, we've had temps ranging from normal 60s on up to 70s and a day or 2 in the 80s. May saw temps in the 60s and 70s, Now that June is here the temps are going to go up to the 80s and 90s by Sunday, the 5th.

I live in a HUD apartment, my rent is only 30% of my income. This is a good thing as I only get SSI and food stamps. I don't have A/C, but I do have many fans.

My youngest son will be coming home for summer vacation on the 12 of this month. It was supposed to be the 5th, but something happened, so it got pushed out an extra week. My dog will be so happy when he gets back.

Stocking up on foods? I have mac and cheese for my son, for the times he doesn't want to eat what the adults are having. I have lots of canned goods, like tuna, black, kidney, and garbanzo beans, diced tomatoes, and some veggies. I have chicken, bacon, cheese, butter, berries (for smoothies) and some more veggies in the freezer. Plus I have lots of rice. I like to make lots of stuff in the crock pot.

Happy anniversary Cat and Tom cat.
    Last edited by jendie; 06-02-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Message got posted before I was finished.

Jendie
    I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Jendie, next time I run low on food, I'm heading to your place!
    Roswell was a gift.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345671232 ... LastLast