US FDA announces new nutrition label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US FDA announces new nutrition label

Does anyone else watch nutrition labels? For years I've found them hard to read and often misleading.

Soon there's going to be a new version of the nutrition label on food in the US. New information is the "added sugar"--the sugar added to the food, not counting the sugar already in that food. The calorie count is now in much bigger and bolder type too.

Potassium and vitamin D are now required listings.

Here's an example of the new label:

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Haven't seen this one.
    Saw my first, 'Partially Made With GMO'...

I think I heard something about labeling packages with total amount of calories per package
    and then showing calories per suggested serving.
    Do most people usually eat a recommended serving size?

NOT ME.
    Oinkers and out

Comment

People with diabetes pay attention to those labels but maybe others don't bother with them.

Interesting that the amount of vitamin D now has to be shown. That might be helpful to anyone with MS concerned about vitamin D intake.

Having the potassium listed will help me particularly. Up to now some food labels gave the potassium content and others didn't.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

An article in Medical News Today (May 23) explains:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

Good to know how much sugars have been added.

I pay attention to these labels, for sure...
          Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

I definitely read to see how much sugar they have in there.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Comment

I also read food labels, but I usually go beyond the 'Nutrition Summary', because I'm normally looking to avoid stuff I can't pronounce/spell/understand.

Sugar & Salt — in modest amounts — don't really concern me; in fact, I still 'enjoy' them (from time-to-time).

But I have no conditions preventing me from doing so, and I can 'get away' with it.

YMMV

Comment

Originally posted by renee View Post
                Do most people usually eat a recommended serving size?

NOT ME.
                Oinkers and out
                I usually don't stick with the recommended serving size either, but they are changing what the recommended serving sizes are based upon what people are actually consuming. So perhaps now I'll be closer to the recommended serving size instead of "however much I want"

Very happy to see the "added sugars" in the new labels. I have known for a couple of years now that I've been consuming too much, but it was hard to figure out where they are coming from so now maybe I can stop yo-yoing and hit my weight goal :)
                Last edited by Mike Weins; 05-23-2016, 08:11 PM.
                Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

I generally check calories, fat, protein, potassium, vitamin D, sodium and sugar, and I've noticed how tricky the serving size listing can be.

Why be so careful? With MS and diabetes, I figure that everything
                  that goes in is doing something to me, and nobody knows exactly what, and so I try to be careful about what goes in.

The days are long gone when I just ate whatever, taking pie when pie was passing.

Comment

For those concerned with using sugar, I found a sugar substitute that looks, tastes, and measures just like real sugar, but is 0 calorie. Not made of any of the bad for you sweeteners. It's called Sweet Choice, and is where the sugar is.

I use it in making my coleslaw, which I eat daily.
                    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Something else along the lines of new label requirements from the FDA. This time on meat: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                      Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                      Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                      Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                      Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                      Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                      Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

#the50%diet

When it comes to Serving Sizes, I 'invented' (and try to follow) what I call The 50% Diet.

There is only one 'rule': Eat half.

I think you might be 'surprised' at how well it works losing weight — *and* keeping it off.

It does have obvious pitfalls — one 'cannot', for example, eat half a carton of Twinkies® and expect not to pay for it — but it works for me (and has for a long time).

YMMV

Comment

Not to make *too* light of the topic (lol), I think John Oliver's recent monologue on Scientific Studies may have some application here.

If not, it's still pretty funny (and bleeped for TV, etc.)

Comment

That article on meat is a must-read.

Ex, that 50% rule sounds good. You could apply it to one Twinkie instead of the carton and just have half a Twinkie, of course.

All of those reports about "studies"--you have to laugh because for every study showing one thing you can easily find a study showing the opposite. So then you have the problem of whose study to trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie View Post
                              For those concerned with using sugar, I found a sugar substitute that looks, tastes, and measures just like real sugar, but is 0 calorie. Not made of any of the bad for you sweeteners. It's called Sweet Choice, and is where the sugar is.

I use it in making my coleslaw, which I eat daily.
                              That's not one I know about. I wonder if it's one of the natural sweeteners. Some of them are listed Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register....

Comment

Working...
                              X