Thread: Generics Vs. Brand drugs regarding Gluten

Distinguished Community Member

Default Generics Vs. Brand drugs regarding Gluten

Hi All - i need answers - my partner is Gluten Sensitive. She insists that the generics are full of gluten as a filler. Is this true? Does the brand name have it = Dilaudid 4MG. in addition to that, do pharmacy's even carry brand names? She has the same problem with her Ativan - she gets generic. So, what do i do? her doctor will write brand necessary but do stores carry it? Help!
    Thank ya'll
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot
    PS Sorry I have not been around but have had problems out the ---

Not all generics have gluten or not enough to matter. I use generics and haven't had any problems. Even brand names can have wheat or corn. A compounding pharmacy could make them without gluten or corn but its more expensive. Yes all pharmacies carry brand names. I still use dilaudid 3 mgs and no trouble.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years. ADR c 5/6 Feb. 2018 doing well.
    Back to pain management, fibromyalgia getting worse.

3. The following user says "thanks"

Community Member

Actually, not all pharmacies are likely to stock the brand name when there is a generic, as most patients will get generic. However they may be willing to order it. There is a possibility they won't be willing to order it though if it is something that is expensive, only comes in a large bottle, and you aren't getting the whole amount and they don't foresee using the remainder of it. You can definitely ask though.

Note that even if getting a prescription filled with a brand name is considered medically necessary (doctor checks "dispense as written" on the prescription), many insurance companies still won't pay. You may be stuck paying the difference between generic and brand, or even the total cost. So, check into insurance coverage as well as availability.

There is very little change in dosage allowed between generic and brand. There may however be differences in fillers or time release mechanisms which can impact how the patient responds, or cause a reaction due to a sensitivity. The vast majority of patients can't tell the difference, and many are started on generics the first time anyways.

I've heard some folks end up having more issues with very small amounts of gluten once they go completely gluten free (ie. they have an even worse reaction to a tiny amount than they did when they ate a high gluten diet). So, its plausible, assuming the pills have gluten (which I have no clue about).

Call the generic manufacturer to ask what they use as fillers and if it they are gluten free. That info may also be in the full prescribing information attached to the original pharmacy bottle (typically not given to a patient, but may be available upon request at the pharmacy), or online (search for "X full prescribing information" without quotes and with the name of the medication instead of 'X'. Best wishes.
    Kate
    Constant headache for 10 years and other chronic health issues

5. The following user says "thanks"

Red face

thank you all. A Gluten free diet is a life game changer a I struggle to find things she can eat without it being the same old,same old stuff every day. For my part, I have learned to bake GF Bread and also Cheescake that I use fruit toppings ( fresh blueberries put thru the blender with some honey to make it super good. We live in a VERY small town, we are thinking about moving to Bisbee, AZ. a very eclectic type of town, lots of reasonably priced restaurants w/ G/F side menu's. We plan to go there next week, we are Pre-approved in our price range, It will be an older home but one with character - we love our home here but with 15-20 miles to town, no bank, pharmacy, gas station, we get our mail at the post office - no curbside delivery and the biggest thing to do on a weekend is the Moose or go to church on Sundays - lots of those, but with both of us being ministers, we go our own way with our own outreach programs, we are both Ordained Spiritualist ministers, are certified counselors, etc. - we will see. Pain is mostly under control, could be better but the VA, which I consider lucky to have and we both have Medicaid s we get by. it' so dogone politically correct with pain pills we both have gems for dr's. we are lucky - we may be undermedcated but are grateful for what relief we do get. Sorry to on so long, just have not been able to get here. Hope and pray everyone is doing wel.
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Skypilot
    Last edited by alex44; 06-21-2016 at 10:34 PM.

I must have been dreaming when wrote above post. Dreams are for children, all of the above was a fantasy -;life is much harder Blessed be to everyone Alex44 Skypilot