Agrophobia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agrophobia

I have had agrophobia for 38 years now i have had it under control now for the last 10 years but only 7 days ago for no real reason i have had a set back i don't know why i think it could be because i have got sinus and i have found it hard to breath now i keep trying to breath and i have been quite anxious i went to the doctors to get some antbiotic but it doesn't seem to be helping i am not shaw what to do as i am not wanting to go backward again it was a long road to get where i have been i keep telling myself to let it all just pass but it is not working sorry every one i just need to tell someone as i am so disappointed in my self for allowing it to get at me.
    Dianne

hey dianne !

i'm sorry you are going through this rough patch, but don't let it discourage you, please. i had agoraphobia in my early twenties, mostly due to having panic attacks. i started to avoid places that had triggered a panic attack, finally realizing it wasn't the place but the panic attacks that were at fault. since being on medication for anxiety and ptsd, i have had maybe one panic attack per year the last 30 years.

i have a couple ideas as to your current troubles:

i don't know if you are on anxiety meds, but if you are, your dosage may need to be changed.

you might have some type of inflammation in your lungs, bronchial passages or the lining of your lungs that might be causing you probs. i think you should check with your primary care doctor to see if these are possibilities.

these are the other ideas i have. you might be having small panic attacks and hyperventilating. hyperventilating feels like you can't catch your breath. you can't inhale or exhale as fully as you want. this always happens to me when i have a panic attack. what you can try for this is deep breathing exercises. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... basically, you are sitting in a chair and breathing fully instead of taking the shallow breaths that result in feeling like you can't catch your breath. you can practice this until you do it automatically when you feel stressed.

i know it is hard to control your agoraphobia. it's great that you have managed this for 38 years! don't feel disappointed in yourself! it is a scary feeling when you feel you can't breath. i was having panic attacks and hyperventilating from age 19 until age 32. when i went on anti-anxiety meds, my panic attacks decreased from 2-3 per week to my current level. stress prolly brings on panic and it happens to all of us. you might think something isn't bothering you, but the brain is always working to tell you all is not well.

please post here and tell me how you're doing. please try the breathing exercises and see your doctor to rule out any physical causes. i will check here to see your updates.

you can do it ,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 05-10-2016, 01:13 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Hi Jeanne I have had agrophobia for a long time I don't take any meds for it at all I have managed to get it under control till now I am going to see the doctor tomorrow to see what he thinks I was also wondering what meds are you on for it as I could mention them to my GP when I see him tomorrow today was a bad day as I just was struggling to breath I am going to start the breathing exercises tonight I would like to thank you for answering me it is good to vent to someone.
      Dianne

Comment

hey dianne!

glad you are going to see your gp tomorrow!

i have been taking klonopin for about 30 years already and that has helped me to live a pretty normal life minus the horrible panic attacks i had.

i hope the breathing exercises work for you and if not, i hope your gp can get a handle on what's going on!

tell me how your visit goes, ok?

jeannie
        WE ARE BT!

Comment

Hi Jeannie I went to the doctors today he has done some tests will get results on Monday but he has given me sertra he said he can not give me klonopin as I can't take valium as it is in the same family as the valium so he is trying me on sertra he said it will take a couple of week to get in the system but it is the only thing he can give me have had a medium day to day have been doing all the breathing exercises and relaxation exercises

dianne
          Dianne

Comment

well I am having a really bad day today don't know why got up feeling really out of it started my new tabs today maybe that is why I have always had a problem with new meds as I am allergic to so many hopefully by this after noon I will pick up a bit sorry to vent had to tell someone
            Dianne

Comment

hey dianne !

I'm sorry you are going through a rough patch today. are you practicing the breathing exercises? sometimes it takes a while to learn to do it properly, but while you're concentrating on doing it you prolly will feel less anxious because you are concentrating on something.

i was looking at your profile and i noticed that you do art, play the guitar and do crafts! wow! does doing any of that help keep you calmer, less anxious? i know when i am gardening outside, even just pulling weeds for a couple hours, i get in a very relaxed state and that lasts for several hours after i stop gardening.

have you tried to figure out what has changed lately that is causing you this new anxiety? sometimes you can do something about it and sometimes you can't, but it might help if you were aware of what might be bothering you.

i'm throwing out suggestions...just trying to help. i read up on the med your doctor gave you and it will take a couple weeks to get in your system and start working. the med is an antidepressant that also works for anxiety. do you have a follow-up appointment with the doc to make sure it's working? sometimes the doctor has to adjust the dosage until the med works for you.

do you feel comfortable walking outside? i see you live in australia (right)? i know it's autumn there, orolly getting cooler. do you have friends you can call and have a cuppa tea somewhere? it's always good to get out.

i'll watch for your updates here, although sometimes i'm not here everyday. don't feel sorry for venting. we all need to vent and there are so many great people here that care and might pop in .

i hope tomorrow is better for you.

keep walking one step at a time ,
              jeannie
              WE ARE BT!

Comment

Hi Jeanne I am doing the breathing exercises quite often and meditation as well but today has just been a bad one for me don't know why and I really don't know what has started this of for me again I was just going shopping with my husband and we got half way there and I just couldn't breath properly and it has all started from there I see the doctor on Monday I will keep practicing the doctor said that the meds would take a few week to start working I have never tried any tablets for the problem before but I am at a desperate stage now where I am hoping that they help, and thank you for listening
                Dianne

Comment

hey dianne !

how are you doing?

i hope your medication is starting to kick in and you're getting better at doing the breathing exercises!

i know that anxiety can often come on quite suddenly, without any reason. what i do and what works for me is just keeping busy doing things...starting little projects or going for a bike ride or exercising or doing something that pleases me and makes me happy. i pamper myself with things like long bubble baths, reading a book or watching movies in the evening. i always drink hot tea by the potful unless it's the summertime, then it's cold tea because i don't want to get in the habit of eating to deal with stress. i did that before and it doesn't really help.

i hope your hubby understands your problem and is able to be supportive. i also have a couple friends that i really trust and i can confide my probs to them. this forum has been a great place for me the last 16 years. so many good things have happened in my life because people here have supported me.

so, keep posting. i am here. it's been a busy week. i've been out in the garden everyday. we are having a great 2 weeks of late spring weather here in michigan and my daughter bought me roses for mother's day, so i have planted them. today, i'm going to till my veggie garden that i had last year and plant some veggies for this year. tonight is also ZUMBA! night, something i love. i am 61 and most of the class is a lot younger than me, although there are a few women in their 50's also. i discovered i loved dancing about 6 years ago. i did line dancing for awhile and then i found zumba. i feel so good after a sweaty workout.

hope to hear from you again with good news!

jeannie
                  Last edited by tic chick; 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM.
                  WE ARE BT!

Comment

Working...
                  X