Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilates = Good!

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default Pilates = Good!

Let's Get Physical!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27134355

J Phys Ther Sci.
    2016 Mar;28(3):761-8. doi: 10.1589/jpts.28.761. Epub 2016 Mar 31.

Improvements in cognition, quality of life, and physical performance with clinical Pilates in multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.

Küçük F1, Kara B2, Poyraz EÇ3, İdiman E4.

Abstract

[Purpose] The aim of this study was to determine the effects of clinical Pilates in multiple sclerosis patients. [Subjects and Methods] Twenty multiple sclerosis patients were enrolled in this study. The participants were divided into two groups as the clinical Pilates and control groups.

Cognition (Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite), balance (Berg Balance Scale), physical performance (timed performance tests, Timed up and go test), tiredness (Modified Fatigue Impact scale), depression (Beck Depression Inventory), and quality of life (Multiple Sclerosis International Quality of Life Questionnaire) were measured before and after treatment in all participants.

[Results] There were statistically significant differences in balance, timed performance, tiredness and Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite tests between before and after treatment in the clinical Pilates group.

We also found significant differences in timed performance tests, the Timed up and go test and the Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite between before and after treatment in the control group. According to the difference analyses, there were significant differences in Multiple Sclerosis Functional Composite and Multiple Sclerosis International Quality of Life Questionnaire scores between the two groups in favor of the clinical Pilates group. There were statistically significant clinical differences in favor of the clinical Pilates group in comparison of measurements between the groups.

Clinical Pilates improved cognitive functions and quality of life compared with traditional exercise.

[Conclusion] In Multiple Sclerosis treatment, clinical Pilates should be used as a holistic approach by physical therapists

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I had OT exercises today and I found that the more and longer I did it., the
    further and longer ICould co with less arthritic pain I felt, so this very true.

I never considered it Pilates, but guess it was so to speak?
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I don't see that it helped depression. That surprises me as other exercise does.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I guess we could get a CD and learn how to do it, for those of us who do not know. I can tell you for sure that for the 13 years that I did Yoga it helped me.
    Virginia

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't know much about Pilates but looked it up. Some of the exercises may be difficult or impossible for people with MS but it's apparently been a popular method.

Some of its ideas seem to have been incorporated into physical therapy and other exercises programs--the idea of core strengthening, the emphasis on form and breathing, maybe.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

But can a paraplegic do it?
    Quite a few years ago an out patient PT decided not to follow docs orders to put me in a stand up rack.
    Instead she draped me on a large red ball. That didn't work.
    It took four people to scrape me off the floor and back into the wheelchair.
    I'm not particularly big so it was a lesson on lifting dead weight that includes a lot of limbs.

A coworker recently tuned me onto a downstate meditation center that sponsors yoga-like weekly meditation
    groups upstate that are suitable for the seated.
    It sounds like it could be a good thing for me and no meetings start before 9 am.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Some of these people who are trying to help (= paid to try to help) could use a bit of training in what MS is about. Do they think it's just another type of arthritis, I wonder?

It's a good thing all around that you weren't badly injured with that ball trick.

I was in a PT session once (years ago) and they put me on one of those large balls, and I promptly landed on the floor. The staff members seemed really nervous after that. I think they were afraid I was injured and would hold them accountable.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Nothing like a lot of nervous health providers to put the kabosh on a bad idea forever.

8 )

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Renee, I had an instructor once (Yoga) who taught people who were in a chair. I was fortunate enough to get on the floor, but I thought it was good that a portion could be done from a chair.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I tried doing some yoga exercises with a DVD once. I believe they were meant for people with MS. Some people with MS must be a lot more limber than I am because I couldn't twist myself into some of those positions, particularly anything on the floor. A mat wouldn't have helped.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast