Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Membership question

Distinguished Community Member

Gary, Uppitycats said it best. You know how we say we are family - well family has disagreements, but we don't stop being a family. That having been said I don't know of anyone who is really a part of our family who has said anything disrespectful to you. If they did I am sure it was not meant in that way. You yourself have said many times that things can be misinterpreted when written, and that often people are just feeling bad and don't realize how they are coming across. We need you and I think what Uppitycats and Agate said makes very good sense.
    Virginia

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I hate to ask you to re-think your decision for our own selfish reasons, Gary. I was alarmed by the biting abbreviation "gtfo" too from Admin. I don't think many of us are used to such jarring language. As agate says, maybe it's become more acceptable as an abbreviation than when it's spelled out, and more commonplace.

I understand why you too feel a biting suggestion to "gtfo" from Admin if we're not happy is not an appropriate way to confront the issue.

I am so hoping you know how vital you are to us all, and how empty we'll feel if we lost you here.

Selfishness be d@mmed...I hope you don't leave us. Please add my voice in with the chorus too.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Gary)))))) ~

You are a long standing member of the MS Forum FAMILY. You are very loved, as is obvious from all of the years that I've been following the MS Forum. And through these years, the MS Family has shown great compassion and kindness toward each other, until a new poster joins and stirs things up. Please don't allow this new poster, who clearly doesn't appreciate the history and depth of friendship among the MS Family members, to push you out.

Although you don't want to be talked out of it, the natural response from those, who love and care about you here, is to persuade you to remain. You will be missed, and folks will worry about you. And for that reason, I think it's a good thing, when members, who need to take a break or decide to leave, tell the forum members.

Many of our CN forum members just vanished, and I wonder how they and their children are, and wish that they'd at least let us know that they were leaving, before they left.

As Cat said, take some deep breaths and try to relax a little, Gary. You've been under so much stress, and this isn't helping bring down your blood pressure. And honestly, this situation isn't worth upsetting you or anyone else. We all have bigger fish to fry than a fracas on the forums.

Healing prayers on their way for you ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

An acronym can have many meanings. While GTFO typically is used with the offending "f word" it doesn't always imply said word. Either way no offense was intended. I will not apologize for the use of an acronym or the occasional swear word.

I am saddened that recent events are causing undue stress on a few of our members, hence the curt message in the aforementioned post/the last time this situation came up.

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 04-29-2016 at 08:16 PM. Reason: tweaked a sentence or two
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

8. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So GTFO stands for "get the flip out."

Seriously, language is constantly changing, and one big change in the last few decades has been that words that were taboo are far from taboo now. They're downright fashionable. Some of us don't use them but there's not much anyone can do to stop the changes that happen in any language over time.

And anyway, you're in charge here and can say whatever you want. As someone on the MS board recently pointed out, the rest of us are guests here.

I hope Gary will rethink his decision.

People are grateful to have this board and glad that you and the moderators are willing and able to keep it going. I know it's a lot of tedious effort.
    Last edited by agate; 04-30-2016 at 09:23 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Actually I don't consider any of you guests. This is your house, I'm just the guard, janitor, cook, and contractor I've always cursed more than a little since high school, usually though I refrain from doing so on BT and definitely at work ;)

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

Step 1 - log in

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Well, actually we ARE guests. If this was OUR house, and you were our employee (guard, janitor c ok, etc. as you describe yourself) we could tell you that we were offended by your use of GTFO -- which really doesn't have any other meaning than the obvious-- and tell you that it's inapropriate for someone to direct that to one of us, even generically,

And you would, if not apologize, at least go about making a simple correction in the terms of service -- terms YOU impose by the way --and not keep this thread going by daily reminders to use about your power over us -- the power to remove us from "our" house. This post is not likely to see the light of day because not only do you have the power to edit it, you also have the power to throw me out of "my" house, which you have done in the past.

So no, Mike, as much as we are glad you and other volunteers have committed a huge chunk of time to keeping brainstorm alive, we are also quite aware that it is indeed YOUR house, that we are guests here, that if we don't play by YOUR rules, no matter that they may be offensive, or offensively worded, we will be quite unceremoniously shown the door.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uppitycats View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, actually we ARE guests. If this was OUR house, and you were our employee (guard, janitor c ok, etc. as you describe yourself) we could tell you that we were offended by your use of GTFO -- which really doesn't have any other meaning than the obvious-- and tell you that it's inapropriate for someone to direct that to one of us, even generically,

And you would, if not apologize, at least go about making a simple correction in the terms of service -- terms YOU impose by the way --and not keep this thread going by daily reminders to use about your power over us -- the power to remove us from "our" house. This post is not likely to see the light of day because not only do you have the power to edit it, you also have the power to throw me out of "my" house, which you have done in the past.

So no, Mike, as much as we are glad you and other volunteers have committed a huge chunk of time to keeping brainstorm alive, we are also quite aware that it is indeed YOUR house, that we are guests here, that if we don't play by YOUR rules, no matter that they may be offensive, or offensively worded, we will be quite unceremoniously shown the door.

Mike, and it's apparently not just written "rules" we're to follow according to you, but now you advise us that we are to somehow discern and ensure that we abide by some unwritten and unknown "spirit" of BT as well that you will arbitrarily decide what may or may not be included within. And asking someone to tell us a bit about them so we can understand why they're suddenly flooding an MS forum with music posts and confusing, nonsensical posts apparently isn't within this "spirit", and we're to intuitively know this somehow? And we're being threatened with suspension or being banned if we do it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post

If this type of posting (asking for identifying information) is continued there will be corrective actions taken, ranging from a formal warning, to a suspension, and if it persists, a ban.
    Oh, but a command to "GTFO" by Admin if we don't like it is apparently fine and within this "spirit" here. That makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    An acronym can have many meanings. While GTFO typically is used with the offending "f word" it doesn't always imply said word. Either way no offense was intended. I will not apologize for the use of an acronym or the occasional swear word.
    No, I can't think of any other full phrase than the one we all think of for that initialism (it's not actually an acronym since the initials don't create a new word), despite agate's best effort above to substitute a nicer word for the one we all understood the full phrase to include. Are we allowed to tell members to "GTFO" too then?

Quote Originally Posted by IamBanned View Post
    Hahaha Mike you suck!
    Can WE tell people they suck too, THAT is within this "spirit" here that you write about and demand of us?

No, Mike, it's not feeling like "our" house at all. No wonder Gary left.

Edited to add: My own 2 cents are that it was a class act how forum members responded to a suddenly very disruptive new poster. I admire their efforts and attempts to gently guide and quell the disturbance to the forum. I love our forum and its members!
    Last edited by SuzE-Q; 05-01-2016 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Add quotes

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Hmmm had I any idea people would be this upset about 4 simple letters I probably wouldn't have used them. Oddly enough even though it wasn't directed at anyone a few have taken it quite personally. I do apologize for upsetting a few folks with those 4 little letters. I will state again that I'm not going to refrain from swearing on these forums completely, it's against my nature to not swear at all. So if swearing gets you upset I'll apologize ahead of time because it's not my intention to upset you.

I thought that most of you have been here long enough to understand the spirit of BT. Apparently I'm wrong on that. Basically BT is a safe haven (lol I can imagine the flack I'll get for that already ) for people. As I mentioned earlier this site can be used completely anonymously and asking for personally identifying information can be very off putting to new members. I will admit that I jumped the gun stating that further questions of that nature would result in corrective action, I'm sorry for that. I should have said that continued asking of the member in question could be considered harassment.

The spirit of BT can be summed up as a caring, easy going place for people to discuss almost anything (that doesn't violate the TOS) with people in similar situations. BT is a support group first and foremost. In the past it was an excellent resource collection, sadly that's been squandered away. I'm expecting to take some flack on my definition of the spirit of BT, so be it. My skin is quite thick and my temper is slow to rise. In fact I will state right here in this post that should anyone feel the need to bitch (technically not a swear word) at me to go ahead and do so. Just do it in this post or via pm's. The mods and David will sit on the sidelines so to speak.

In regards to the TOS, I didn't impose them, they are the same generic rules set forth by every single vanilla vBulletin site, with some differences set forth by JL so long ago. I've got a new set typed out somewhere that was going to be implemented with the next update. These rules would be better tailored to BT and not so generic or heavy handed.

I still say this is your (members) house. You're all here more often than I am. I listen and am willing to make changes (probably can't do them all, it depends on what they would be), yet hardly anyone has stepped up and suggested any. We (admins/mods) are not kicking anyone out (except obvious spammers and those that violate the TOS in a manner that warrants a ban), people are leaving on their own accord for their own reasons (in my opinion ... silly reasons, but ones I can understand to a degree). While some members think they have the right to tell other members what to do, they do not. It's happened before and it appeared to be happening again.

People have read way too much into those 4 simple letters mentioned earlier. It was supposed to convey the fact that if you're being an ass (technically not a swear word) you're going to be removed.

I could have handled this situation differently. Well live and learn as they say.

The thing I am sorry for the most isn't anything that I've said, it's the fear some members have about speaking out against something the admin/mod team has said or done on the forums. Now speaking out against a members private messages, warning, suspension, or banning is against the TOS, calling us out for other things (like my use of 4 letters) isn't. I had hoped that we had demonstrated over the last half dozen years or so that we've become a lot more lenient. Sure there are warnings that have been given out, but some people make a huge deal about those because in the warning it's mentioned that the next offense could lead to a more serious action.

Step 1 - log in

Blog Entries

I forgot to address one more point that is being misunderstood. The new videos being posted aren't using up any of BT's bandwidth. They are using up Youtubes bandwidth. Yes there is a little extra time added for each video posted, but not enough to cause any lag unless you're on a dial-up or low speed dsl. The only extra information being downloaded by your computer is the link to the video and the image you see for the video, it's a small amount of data. The actual video doesn't load until you hit play, then you are streaming it directly from Youtube.

I could put the word Youtube in the censor (which I had almost completely emptied) list but it would block all Youtube videos. I can also completely disable the posting of videos, but I don't see a need to do so. Ignoring a member ignores all of there posts and even those with links to videos.

If you are experiencing significantly slower load times for threads that have these videos linked, please send me a pm with some further details so I may try to figure out why, because they really shouldn't be slowing anyone down that isn't on dial-up or a slow dsl connection.

Step 1 - log in

19. The following user says "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast