Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7274752535455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: OT April Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's no place like home! Congratulations on getting to go home, Cat--though it's too bad about the accident TomCat had.

Home may be a safer and more healthful place to be than an institutional setting. Institutions have germs and more germs. Home does too but they're YOUR germs, and you've been getting along with them.

It must be nice to be eating the food you're used to in your own surroundings.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Well, now that with Howie's help I hope we have all had a group hug, I have a question. I have a itchy red rash between my upper legs. Very, very uncomfortable. It has been going on for several days, but appears to be getting worse. I put baby powder on it and then I put some milk of magnesia that I keep for when I itch on the bottom part of my legs. Neither have done any good. What could cause this? I am almost out of the milk of magnesia and I do not want to go out until Sunday. I am very tired. The only new medicine that I have taken is a different kind of calcium and magnesium. I was having trouble swallowing mine and found these capsules at Whole Foods that said "easy to swallow" so I have been taking them. If it was that would I not itch over all of my body? I can't figure this out.

I had my book club over last night. Just before they were to arrive it started to thunder and then it started raining really hard, but they made it. We had a really good time, but I am very tired and knew that I would be. I told them I was thinking about dropping out due to health and they said "noooo" just come when I could and do what I could. Today I was notified that, after getting home, one of the ladies received a telephone call that her sister had died. She died of a heart attack with no prior history. I think she was probably in her mid sixties and she started coughing and then was unable to breath good. When they got her to the hospital she was dead.

I told the ladies about this forum last night and how much it has meant to me. I also told them about Cat's thread on favorite books. They were very interested in weather or not there might be some we would want to read.
    Virginia

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, I'm glad you could get to the book club.

About the rash: I'd be careful what I put on it. Some things make a rash worse. I wouldn't try baby powder, and I've never tried milk of magnesia. I looked it up and found differing opinions. Some people say it works, others say it can be harmful.

It could be a contact dermatitis, maybe from some clothes you've been wearing? Or the soap you used to wash them?

You could try a cortisone cream like the ones sold OTC but I'd be careful and not use much at first, see how it goes, and if it seems to help, continue with it. You don't want to keep scrubbing it with soap and water either. Keep it clean and well ventilated. It's best not to overdo the cleaning efforts because even soap and water make some skin conditions worse.

The best thing would be to consult a doctor. Skin conditions can be tricky.

I tend to assume that an itchy rash could be contact dermatitis and treat it with cortisone cream, but if you've never had a rash like that before, you might want to see a doctor.

If it could be some clothing, you could try not wearing that particular garment and see if it goes away.

Pantyhose are often responsible for quite a few problems because they fit snugly and trap moisture.

About the different calcium and magnesium you've been taking, I don't know if that could be causing your rash but I think it's possible.

Could you try skipping the new calcium and magnesium for a while to see if the rash goes away?
    Last edited by agate; 04-29-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I would add, it you do use any powder, I would put it on last. Putting it on first may insulate the lotions from treating the problem.

And clothes detergents, I use one made by Arm & Hammer that's for "Sensitive Skin". I was having weird rashes until I switched detergents.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

I've also added this info to my signature
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Virginia)))))) ~

Can you rule out Shingles? Yeast infection? Psoriasis?

Definitely do not use baby powder on your rash. For over the counter options, you might try Aveno Oatmeal lotion. We use a Body Shop product:

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bath-...protector.aspx

My husband had "housewife's eczema" years ago (I know ... we wash our hands a lot ...), and he tried cortisone cream, per a Dermatologist, which did nothing for him. Then he used the Body Shop Hemp cream, and it worked. Our neighbor had a persistent rash from kidney failure, and the Body Shop Hemp cream was the only thing that soothed the itching and healed the rash. Jon has a blistering rash on his left foot from lymphedema, and only the Hemp cream works to help heal it. It's a tad expensive, but it's worth it.

I agree with agate that you should discontinue taking the calcium and magnesium for a few days to see whether it is the culprit. The process of elimination is one of the best ways to rule out an allergic reaction.

Apply cortisone creme thinly. Too much is not a good thing.

Hope you find a way to heal your rash, but agate is right that if it continues, you may need to consult your physician.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Forgot to mention another topic that arose in this thread. Trying to figure out if posterA is posterB using another name on the open forums is not conducive with the spirit of these forums. Unless posterB is violating the TOS then it does not matter if posterB is also posterA. Even then, if posterB is violating the TOS you are requested to report said post using the "report this post" link on the bottom of every post and let the mod/admin team deal with it.

Hinting/guessing in the open forums that personA could be personB is discouraged, but isn't against any rules. I would like to not see any more posts on this particular subject, if you have questions or concerns please use the Moderator Connection Forum <---link

Oops, forgot another point. Asking people to post more identifying information in a thread just because they haven't done so yet is also not following the spirit of BT. These forums are anonymous and no identifying information is required to be posted. By asking a poster to do so, you may be making them feel unwanted or pressured into doing something that they aren't comfortable with.

If this type of posting (asking for identifying information) is continued there will be corrective actions taken, ranging from a formal warning, to a suspension, and if it persists, a ban.

Also, calling someone a troll, or stating that you think a troll is present is technically against the TOS. So please refrain from doing so.
    Last edited by Mike Weins; 04-29-2016 at 08:34 PM. Reason: merged two of my posts into one
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

Step 1 - log in

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Agate, I have been reading this forum since 1999, when I was going through all the testing for my MS diagnosis. As many people who come here, it was initially to learn about the disease, what I might expect, and how to deal with it as the disease progressed. After all, I would be dealing with this disease the rest of my life.

I'm not sure exactly when I registered (rather just remaining a "visitor"). At that time, there were at least 2 full pages of new posts every day and many more members. Some posts I read, many I didn't. I am not aware of what went on before my arrival and half of what went on after!

MS is an isolating disease. As it progresses, the world gets smaller and smaller for each of us as we find ourselves unable to participate in life as we used to, or as we want to. I certainly recognize the importance of the relationships and friendships that have formed here. This is a little community of people who "get it", where we can talk about the challenges that MS has thrown at us that no one else understands, can relate to, or even wants to hear about. It serves as a social connection, sometimes our only social connection. We can share our joys, sorrows, likes and dislikes, and bits about our lives if we so choose.

Some come into this forum community slowly, testing the waters, to see if it's a good fit. Some leave. Others dive in buck naked. Everyone is different. But we all came here looking for something and everyone wants to be heard and valued.

Gary, I hope you'll come back when you're ready. You're heard and valued here. I don't think that any mods were trying to be offensive, but should have left that cute little acronym out. That F word has become all too common these days. I cringed when I saw it on a protester's sign at a Trump rally today, on TV. The newscaster apologised for that one!

Cherie, no problem skipping threads of no interest to you. I do it all the time. You should do what's right for you!

I hope that this forum can become a welcoming, friendly place again. We all need to do our part to make that happen.

Joan

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia,

Sometimes new furniture has a fire retardent on the fabric that can be irritating.

Could that be the cause on your new recliner?

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Suze, I just thought of that tonight. Don't know what that possibility is.

Agate, thanks for your answer. I would stop taking the calcium, magnesium supplements, but they have actually helped the swelling in my feet and legs. The edema in my feet, especially right foot is so bad that it looks like my toes are real fat and I can hardly wear shoes. Yet, if I go to a larger size they slip off my heel.

I would already have made a Doctor's appointment but my Doctor resigned from the practice to go into research, so I do not have a PCP at the time. I might see next week if I can get worked in with one of the other Doctors.

I need for the edema to stay down. My youngest Niece's wedding is coming up shortly and I had been very concerned about what shoes I would wear.

Rose, I don't think the way it is running that it would be shingles. I can't imagine why I would have a yeast infection or Psoriasis. I have never had Psoriasis.

I was using the baby powder to try and keep it clean and dry and to try to get the itching to calm down. Obviously, I am not scratching, but you can see by the time that I am not sleeping either.

I will try to tough it out until Monday and then see if one of the Doctors in the practice I go to can work me in.

I really do want to stop the calcium and magnesium, but the edema is very, very bad without it.

Thanks everyone.
    Virginia

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7274752535455565758596061 LastLast