Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threads going sideways

Distinguished Community Member

Default Threads going sideways

I have been told that i or maybe everyone should stay on topic with the thread. Apparently when it goes sideways it can confuse people.
    Confusion shall be my Epitaph (king crimson song).

I could day more about the bullying i have recieved since i've been. My old Tag line was OFFENSIVE so i changed it.

I have seen posts go sideways without my words.

I have seen RASCIST humour, which to me was wrong. But people laughed at that. Contrubutet of thst was not chastised as far as i know. YES I LIKE THIS PETSON VETY MUCH? GOOD SENSE OF HUMOUR? GOOD BANTER. (for me it crossed a line. My father was in a death camp, he was on the last Death March. My FIL fought in holland, very wicked.

I was chastised cause of my lime... If you through a cat out of a speeding car, is that called Kitty Litter. my bad

I came here to conect, forget about pain 4 a bit, insert some funny & ENJOY EACH OTHERS COMPANY.

I didn't know i was joining the Army. Hell....is where we all are. Why can we not go off topic once in a while?

Yeah, I know i just made ENEMIES by saying this.

Such is life. Censorship is the downfall of humanity.

My 2

Peace
    Sandra\InfraredCharlotte
    The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Sandra, there are also people who like you. Ignoring the ones who don't seems to be your best bet.

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Many of the threads on the MS board do tend to go "sideways". Most people go with the flow as along as it eventually gets back on topic.
    Lots of "off topic" threads are frowned on. We try to limit them to maintain some semblance of MS focus. That's why we have a monthly Chit Chat thread which covers almost everything we want to talk about that isn't specifically MS related. It was a compromise/decision made several years ago. Cat's cooking thread is mostly recipes and cooking/food suggestions. Someone suggested that so the recipes,etc wouldn't get lost among the other discussions. There has been a bird cam thread which discusses the birds on that cam and similar. There's a pet thread. There have been other specialty threads from time to time. One song thread to discuss different songs would be consistent with that idea.

I missed seeing the racist references which you mentioned. Perhaps they were in threads I didn't read.
    There are a few inside jokes which would not make sense to people unaware of them. But people would be willing to explain them if asked.
    Sometimes it does get a bit raunchier than I'd like. But I skip over.

Do you really want to start this up again? If the "somebody" who told you to stay on topic was a moderator, then you need to pay attention. If it was me, as I said before, over the (apparently only to me) offensive tag line, you can ignore it. I already told you that people go off the rails on the threads all the time. I do too. At one time the moderators were very anal about staying on topic -- which from their perspective was strictly MS and MS related, and everything else had to be labeled " OT". I don't think they're nearly so worried and more.

But it really isn't endearing to me that you.keep coming back to the tag line issue. It was quite clear to me that my point of view was well in the minority. And I THOUGHT you and i had made peace. I guess not. I'll just do my best to avoid you from here on. I won t post in your threads, nor respond to poss you make in others. I'd ask for the same courtesy in return, but I don't want yet again to be accused of bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppitycats View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you really want to start this up again? If the "somebody" who told you to stay on topic was a moderator, then you need to pay attention. If it was me, as I said before, over the (apparently only to me) offensive tag line, you can ignore it. I already told you that people go off the rails on the threads all the time. I do too. At one time the moderators were very anal about staying on topic -- which from their perspective was strictly MS and MS related, and everything else had to be labeled " OT". I don't think they're nearly so worried and more.

But it really isn't endearing to me that you.keep coming back to the tag line issue. It was quite clear to me that my point of view was well in the minority. And I THOUGHT you and i had made peace. I guess not. I'll just do my best to avoid you from here on. I won t post in your threads, nor respond to poss you make in others. I'd ask for the same courtesy in return, but I don't want yet again to be accused of bullying.

You were the one that singled me out for being off topic. I have NOT seen you chastise others for same.

If you do not like, e, that is fine. NO A MOD DID NOT MENTION A THING TO ME! if you are a mod...what can i say.

It's all been said. BUT AS I SAID CYBER BULLYING IS NOT RIGHT NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE? YOU DONT LIKE SIDEWAYS THREADS THEN LET ALL INVOLVED KNOW & CHASTISE EACH & EVERY ONE?

This crap about disecting everything i say & then coming down on me is UNACCEPTABLE

We all need a distraction from what we as MS'rs call life IS A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. We all need to escape, if just for a moment.

I have said my peace.
    Last edited by Infrared Charlotte; 02-07-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

7. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Sandra,
    I, like many others here, am doing my best to see what the fuss is all about. I never saw your tag line so cannot comment on it and don't want to hear an explanation. I do know I have posted less since you came aboard because after some of your posts there just doesn't seem to be a reasonable edifying response. It seems that you are under the influence of medication or something and filters are not in place. It also seems that you take offense easily and give it as well.

Having said that, when I first came to this forum in 2000 or 2001, I alienated a lot of folks in my need to make it something that I could call home....a place of belonging. I was on a lot of medication, in a lot of pain, and using alcohol to manage (inappropriately) as well. I had several instances of what I viewed as cyber-bullying directed at me but my husband was able to see that folks were trying to curb my enthusiasm and calm the filterless writings. So if that is what is happening, I , of all people, can cut you some slack. I've been there and am not one to throw the first stone.

In Chit Chat or any other thread that is listed as OT, it is fine to "go sideways" in what is posted. It is never fine to use racial slurs or foul language or wording that would denigrate someone because you mistook the meaning of what they had written or have an opinion of them that is not fully informed.

Please feel free to come and read and click the "thanks" button to indicate you have read but you do not have to reply to everything anyone says. That is not necessary nor appropriate...especially when folks are sharing with others about things that have been evolving for weeks, months or years. Especially when the writer is going through a rough patch you might not see because you do not know the back story.

Let's all just take a deep breath stop and read and wait to respond if it seems necessary to reply and then do so with thoughtfulness and proof read before hitting "post".

I hope you feel better soon and your pain calms. Peace be with you.

No, my dear girl i am not under the influence of Rx's. It my brain & the way my brain is. You can ask anyone in my family, they will just say " that's mom, or that's Sandra"

I have Cerebral ms & now progressed to spms. i have lots of problems with my thought processes. I know there is another word for my f'd thoughts but i cant get the word out. Yes it causes me alot of problems.

My form of ms f's with me with a vengence.

Thats life

Peace

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I call it cognitive slippage and it is frustrating.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, frustrating--and it can be very frightening.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Cherie and Agate are right about the cognitive slippage. It is both very frustrating and very frightening. I have been fighting that for the last 6 months to a year. Many times on here I am trying to respond to something and just have to delete what I have written because I can't remember the word or words I was going to use.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast