Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: O.T. Help please. Thanks

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curious. You're seeing a little blue circle with downward arrows. I think it's what I'm calling a little green circle with a white dash. The white dash turns out to be a white arrow on closer inspection.

Strange too that you get e-mail notifications. You do mean you get notified every time there's a new post in a thread you've posted in? I get an e-mail notification but only once a day even though I have it set for "instant e-mail notification."

Sandra, if you're confused, you can always use my system of dealing with the Internet. I just keep clicking on things to see what happens, and sooner or later I might find something helpful!
    Agate, the green circle with white arrow/dash is on the "envelope" next to the thread title. Then there is a document icon. Then the thread title. If there are new replies in the thread, a blue circle and down arrows appear between the envelope and document icon. If there aren't any new replies, then it isn't there. Sometimes it only shows if you are signed in.

Yes, I sometimes get several notifications a day.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parsi View Post
    Agate, the green circle with white arrow/dash is on the "envelope" next to the thread title. Then there is a document icon. Then the thread title. If there are new replies in the thread, a blue circle and down arrows appear between the envelope and document icon. If there aren't any new replies, then it isn't there. Sometimes it only shows if you are signed in.

Yes, I sometimes get several notifications a day.
    Oh, THAT blue circle! Thanks for explaining. I'd completely forgotten about them even though I must see those circles all the time.

I get e-mails notifying me of PMs but not e-mails notifying me of posts except for the one a day. That one e-mail covers all of the posts in the last 24 hours, I think.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Even though my notifications are checked off in my settings, I do not get them at all and haven't for at least three or four years. When you look at the forum menu, there will be a check mark in the threads to which you have responded. If emboldened, someone has added a comment since you were last posting.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This will take some time but I'll look around in the Feedback forum and see if I can find something about why some of us don't get e-mail notifications. It may have been explained but it would have been some time ago. It might be a couple of days before I'll find it.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

With regards to not getting instant email notifications of new posts to a thread that you are subscribed to, yes that was disabled due to the mail server being bad. If I ever get enough time to do the forum upgrade and server software upgrade the email system should work as it did in the past.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Thanks Mike and for all you do for us!!

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post

I get e-mails notifying me of PMs but not e-mails notifying me of posts except for the one a day. That one e-mail covers all of the posts in the last 24 hours, I think.
    I finally realized something about the notifications. I'm not getting notifications about posts as they are posted. And you're right, agate, it's once a day. All the new posts of a thread are bundled in one notification. Each notification was a different thread (not post). Because I was getting notifications on multiple threads I got multiple notifications in one day.

I'm in the process of unsubscribing to some of the threads now.
    Last edited by Parsi; 02-09-2016 at 08:52 AM.

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parsi View Post
    I finally realized something about the notifications. I'm not getting notifications about posts as they are posted. And you're right, agate, it's once a day. All the new posts of a thread are bundled in one notification. Each notification was a different thread (not post). Because I was getting notifications on multiple threads I got multiple notifications in one day.

I'm in the process of unsubscribing to some of the threads now.
    This is because I disabled the instant email notification as it was being used by spammers to send out thousands of emails from our mail server. Once I get around to doing the upgrades I can turn it back on :)
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    This is because I disabled the instant email notification as it was being used by spammers to send out thousands of emails from our mail server. Once I get around to doing the upgrades I can turn it back on :)
    I'm okay the way it is.

18. The following user says "thanks"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123