Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Febuary Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member

'I have spent more on teeth in the last 3 years than I want to know. The last round was $1,000 for a metal upper to replace my poly one. Really good idea I wish I had gone to a denturist (makes dentures) to begin with. I only have 4 teeth on the top. No front ones. I need to have 5 pulled on the bottom. And have fakes added tothe bottom partial no molars on the bottom. It is already a metal frame so its not as expensive to add them. But still it will be a while as it will still run around $2000 to get it done.

Two different dentist have told me that they see a lot more not salvageable teeth with people with MS. Quite a number of people with MS due to the steroids and meds like Bacelofen that cause dry mouth, along with people with asthma and lung problems again due to the steroid use.
    Last edited by Gary; 02-05-2016 at 01:33 AM.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've heard that cats' rough tongues do a good job of cleaning the backs of their teeth. I used to brush the fronts of my cats' teeth though. With cat toothpaste and a kid's toothbrush.

Even so there had to be some dental procedures, which were costly.

Phoebe started jerking her head in a really odd way, and it turned out to be an abscessed tooth causing her pain. So cats do have teeth problems.

If I were going to mention Howie's dental problems, I'd say that I can't imagine tossing a partial. Those things cost so much that I'd be back at the dentist's or denturist's insisting that it be fixed.

But Howie doesn't want his dental problems discussed. So I'll have to come back and delete part of this post. Or hope nobody sees it.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

3. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

It sure was a nice day today, wasn't it?
    Evolution spans the Universe.

5. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It sure was a nice day today, wasn't it?
    Yup Howie, it was.

Any day above ground is a good one.

7. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had a partial at one time, actually, I had one top and bottom. The bottom drove me nuts (Hey, I had to blame it on something) and tossed them the first day.

The tops I lost when I passed out at Food Lion after not eating or sleeping for 4 days. After that, I just didn't care any more. I iz what I iz, and that's all what I iz!

The cats NEVER go to the dentist, and have perfect teeth. I think I'm going to start eating Whisker Lickin's, and see if it will work for me.

I was just thinking Howie, you must be a lot of fun at a party!!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

9. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I see we are still are on the subject of teeth.

Unless an emergency, I'll have my dental work done in Iran.

My dentist here in Iran sees me every 6 months (or tries to). He only charges if work needs to be done (that's a separate appt). No work = no charge. X-rays about every two years, usually not on insurance unless I'm lucky. So far, work is cheaper in Iran than the US, but it's climbing. We have no dental insurance, but DH had supplemental insurance at work that usually paid a small percentage. That insurance ended with DH's retirement last week.

So far I have most of my teeth (except the wisdom). I have a crown because one tooth was beyond repair. Lots of fillings. I do break/crack teeth but somehow they are salvaged.

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

We have no dental insurance either. My prep and temporary and crown will cost $1300 when the work is finished. Really hard last year when we both broke off teeth in a 2 week period and owed the dentist 2500 for the two of us during a lean time with commissions coming in.

Woke up to snow wet and heavy at an inch an hour. David's been out shoveling for almost an hour. Supposed to stop by mid afternoon and we got an email that the Gala is still on for this evening. Glad we are all going in one vehicle but I think we will likely start a bit earlier than planned as this event is an hour and 15 minutes North of here and they are forecast to get 4 inches more than we should have. I don't know if some of the folks from Maine, NH and Vermont or out on the Cape will be able to make it. More than 3500 people signed up to be there for annual awards banquet and ceremony.

We went for a lot of years without dental insurance. Most of the time dentists were willing to either give us a discount, or let us pay for it on the installment plan. But usually they only do that for their regular patients, not those t that drop in having never seen them before. Now we have dental insurance through my husband's former work, but since he retired, we pay the full premium (medical and dental) which "only" comes to $885/month....

There is in our town though at least one dentist who takes Medicaid patients (adults and children), and a dental school in the next town that treats patients for free (students, supervised by dentists).

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) I have no dental insurance. I put the bill on my Visa when I have to go.

I had no cavities until I was 23 when we moved to South Florida. The water I grew up with in Jacksonville had flouride in it. After I had been here six months I went to get my teeth cleaned and was told I had 7 cavities. I thought this dentist must be a quack. So I went to another one and he found 7 cavities too. Apparently I benefitted with flouride.

Now I eat two Tums in the morning and two at night. This keeps my mouth alkaline and cavities cannot form in an alkaline environment. I have most of my teeth still but several have crowns. I have to take care of my bottom teeth because I have tori (bony growths) almost the whole floor of my teeth and they would have to be ground off to make a plate work.

Andy came today and pressure cleaned my driveway and carports for 6 hours. What a difference. Lacy really likes Andy and wags so much when he is here. Her whole body wiggles. We are getting a cold front this weekend. Jeanie :)
    Last edited by Jeanie Z; 02-05-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo

Hello JeanieZ. How are you doing? You speak of xtra bone growth in mouth. I too have this type of bone growth on both sides of mouth & top & bottom of mouth. I had xrays & yep just xtra bone growth & not harmful or anything to worry about. Huh? My my how many things can we have wrong with our bodies, blood, .....docs always tell me 'its idiopathic....or...its 'atypical' . jeeze thanks for the info. Dont know why, how or its not the norm. Story of my life. LMAO not really, but what else can we do? Cant cry or i'd cry 24/7, so i choose to laugh.
    The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

15. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast