Thread: Did I have a small stroke or is it something else

Default Did I have a small stroke or is it something else

Two of my doctors told me that I didn't have a small stroke a year ago. I have had all the tests MRI, etc.... They are all clear. Yesterday, I went to see a neuromuscular dr. The neuromuscular dr said that I may have had a small stroke. I now have burning tingling pain on left side of whole body.

When it first happened I couldn't move my arm for two minutes and had left side parathesias. Its cocaine related and I'm 31. I just don't understand why do I have this permanent nerve pain and all of my test including Mri were all clear. With permanent nerve pain shouldn't they have seen something, anything in my brain from the stroke???? I don't get it. I also have scar tissue in the palm of my left hand.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

You might have nerve pain from another condition. However the fact that you could not move for 2 minutes makes me think its a stroke. I have a teacher who suffered a thalamus stroke in November and he gets weird sensations because the thalamus is involved with touch. It's on the right side of his body. After he told me this I googled "thalamus stroke" and saw comments about pain,(thalamic pain syndrome) tingling and numbness similar to yours. I found videos and a Facebook group about it here https://www.facebook.com/Thalamic-Br...19473/?fref=nf and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXOlFch6-I You can comment on those links and perhaps they could help you! My teacher said this type of stroke is usually considered mild, in his case it was very obvious on his MRI and he also becomes dizzy from having issues with eye and neck movement control post stroke since the thalamus is connected to most of the rest of the brain. Do you have any issues like dizziness or usual eye movement??? Let me know?? Most people with thalamus stroke look almost completely normal. Most of the time I can't tell my teacher had a stroke unless he is tired.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 02-01-2016 at 09:15 AM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Quote Originally Posted by funnylegs4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You might have nerve pain from another condition. However the fact that you could not move for 2 minutes makes me think its a stroke. I have a teacher who suffered a thalamus stroke in November and he gets weird sensations because the thalamus is involved with touch. It's on the right side of his body. After he told me this I googled "thalamus stroke" and saw comments about pain,(thalamic pain syndrome) tingling and numbness similar to yours. I found videos and a Facebook group about it here https://www.facebook.com/Thalamic-Br...19473/?fref=nf and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYXOlFch6-I You can comment on those links and perhaps they could help you! My teacher said this type of stroke is usually considered mild, in his case it was very obvious on his MRI and he also becomes dizzy from having issues with eye and neck movement control post stroke since the thalamus is connected to most of the rest of the brain. Do you have any issues like dizziness or usual eye movement??? Let me know?? Most people with thalamus stroke look almost completely normal. Most of the time I can't tell my teacher had a stroke unless he is tired.
    I dont have any problems with dizziness. I have a left eye twitch, but thats about it. Can this type of stroke leave scar tissue in the skin of the palm of a persons hand also? Should I get another MRI? Thanks.

4. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((tj8596)))))) ~

To BrainTalk!

Unfortunately, this forum is not as active as it once was, so you may not find the answers you're seeking from those of us, who respond. And, we can't diagnose anyone.

I Googled "Palm Scar Tissue Causes" and I found this:

http://www.medicinenet.com/dupuytren...9s_contracture

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/f...re-progression

Whether this could have resulted from a stroke is unclear. Do you have Diabetes? Epilepsy?

The doctors, who ruled out a stroke ~ did they have an alternate explanation for your symptoms? Did you ask them about your palm?

Since you've had an MRI and other assorted tests and the results have been clear, what do you hope to find with another MRI? Has your condition changed significantly since your last MRI? What do your doctors recommend?

Do you know what your heart's condition is?

I wish that I could offer you some kind of help, beyond asking you questions and providing food for thought.

Hopefully, others will see your post and respond with their experiences.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tj8596 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont have any problems with dizziness. I have a left eye twitch, but thats about it. Can this type of stroke leave scar tissue in the skin of the palm of a persons hand also? Should I get another MRI? Thanks.
    You're welcome! Glad you don't have the dizziness my teacher has. My teacher has twitching,squinting and involuntary side to side movement in his eyes. Right eye more than left. I don't know about scar tissue on the hand and stroke. Usually scar issue is from an injury to the limb i.e body part itself. That being said, my teacher had swelling on his face at one point. Are you a diabetic?? My teacher has diabetes which caused his stroke. I think you should get more opinions and/or another MRI just in case. I read a book called "True Strength" by Kevin Sorbo about how he had suffered 3 strokes. In the book Sorbo mentioned his 3 strokes did not appear on an MRI initially because the scar tissue on the brain from the stroke(s) had not yet formed.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 02-01-2016 at 09:49 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php