Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer vs Tablet --- who will win?

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know who he is, but did not know he could operate a computer with his eyes. Talk about technology.
    Yeah, it's amazing, to say the least.

Peace
    The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

He is part of Cambridge University in England, and because of who he is, they got him the most cutting edge technology and I'm sure is always getting the newest.

He can also twitch his cheek, and can move one hand but it's such a small amount you can't see it, but the computer can sense it. I would guess it's like the "enter" button, combined with his cheek twitch, and eye movements.

He can even speak with an electronic voice, again controlled by where he looks with his eyes. The last book I will ever be able to read was one he wrote, again with his eyes, called A Brief History of Time.
    Last edited by Howie; 01-28-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Roswell was a gift.

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Any Star Trek TNG fans, he had a brief cameo on one episode. I thought that was VERY cool of him to do. Again, the computer talked for him, but he managed a slight smile after scolding Sir Isaac Newton about gravity.
    Roswell was a gift.

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

All I can say is, sure wish I was back home on my new couch and with my laptop!!!!
    Get it?
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 01-28-2016 at 05:15 PM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    Any Star Trek TNG fans, he had a brief cameo on one episode.
    I remember that episode. I think I've seen them all at least 5 times each. What can I say, I'm addicted!

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

Vicky, I have all the original Star Trek, all the TNG, and all the Enterprise on DVD.
    Do you think that makes me a Trekkie?
    Roswell was a gift.

11. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    All I can say is, sure wish I was back home on my new couch and with my laptop!!!!
    Get it?
    I know you do, Sally. I'm so sorry. Having MS bites, doesn't it (to say the least). I hope that you still might be able to return back home soon and you can recover more strength. You just never know with MS. I've regained functions months and even years after I thought they were gone, I've had lesions disappear after decades, even with more sensitive MRI's to be able to see even more damage, but they healed and disappeared.

Don't lose hope, ok? We know from stroke victims that many mobility functions CAN be recovered, regardkess of age or cause. Insist on learning techniques that you can repeat over and over, repetition is key. I hate that we're mainly written off when I see stroke patients have immediate techniques started. The same tools have been shown in small studies to help us too. I'm going to get one of those pedellers that Cat was talking about, that doesn't take much strength because it self propels a lot once you get it moving, but does aid in retraining the mobility areas of the brain and our nervous system, plus keeps our muscles and circulation moving. It was only around $30 and is used from a seated position. Can be used on our arms too.

Or there's, like me, who went for physio, but my mobility issues weren't "obvious", yet I leave and sure enough, they appear again and I'm limping around. What's up with that?!?? But it does show at least the "possibility" or potential, even though I didn't get any exercises to do. I have to go back and insist on being taught the techniques so I can practice.

Howie/Virginia, when my desktop died, I bought an 8" tablet plus a laptop.

To be honest (and surprising to me), I waaay prefer the tablet (Samsung galaxy tab4). I too was very intimidated learning new technology, especially with no instruction manual. But I learned the tablet in a day myself and use it 99% of the time. I use a stylus to type on the screen's keyboard, I can speak to it and it will do searches or play songs, just by voice instruction that is included (like Apple's Siri). The 8" is quite big, yet light enough and with a battery life of around 9 hours that puts the much heavier laptop to shame. It is super convenient.

Plus, you can enlarge the typeface or pictures using your fingers to increase the size. The laptop, I still haven't figured out some of its basic features yet, but it too is a touch screen at least.

So, the tablet cost me 1/2 as much, yet I'm using it 99% of the time and prefer it. And it was very easy to learn. I'm going to have to take the laptop in for a lesson, I can't even figure out how to go "back" to the last screen I was on, even something so simple is difficult. Plus, the laptop battery is around 5 hours at best, much less.

I have to say I was proud of myself learning the tablet so quickly...felt like a big girl!

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Hi Sally,
    SuzE-Q 's response about movement and about tablets was so full of useful information that I just wanted to highlight it.

1. She is right about losing and regaining movement. Sometimes when I thought certain strengths were gone forever, they came back. This very week I walked a mile! ( Not all at once but still it was within one day). The dog park near my house has given me a perfect area to walk with my walker.

2.Her comments about using the tablet is exactly what I experienced. I even bought a book titled something like..."The Handbook They Should Have Written for the IPad". I actually was so happy to order it and can not remember using it much! The ipad is so intuitive that you will just figure it out easily. I never thought this was true but...it was!

So, there is possibility in this world. Sometimes, for a moment or a day or a month we can do something again. Something we thought was lost. And we can learn ways around even if we thought we could not learn another new thing!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 01-29-2016 at 04:40 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

Distinguished Community Member

The Missing Manual (The Book that Should have been in the Box). David Pogue. Just buy the one for your device.

For ipad: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/149194...bOL&ref=plSrch

Linda knows about recovery and comebacks, that is why she named herself "Lazarus."

ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 01-29-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added link. You're welcome
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

15. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks you guys, I love you!

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying my iPad greatly!
    It's starting to like me...LOL
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 01-29-2016 at 09:00 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast