Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "I have one word for you: botox!"

Distinguished Community Member

Default "I have one word for you: botox!"

So, after 2 general practitioners, several nurse practitioners, visiting nurses, home health aides, 2 neurologists, and a couple of witch doctors....well, maybe not witch doctors, I visited yet another urologist yesterday who may FINALLY have a solution to my issue with bladder spasms: botox injections, done every year (or as necessary, somewhere in the 7 month to 18 month range). All the others have correctly diagnosed the issue: " you have severe bladder spasms". This doctor is the first to actually have a possible treatment.
    ;
    Had I been able to get up on his table he w would have done it yesterday. I can't, so he scheduled me for the outpatient surgery wing, in two weeks, where they'll have a stand lift and nurses able to assist. A couple of injections and I'm out of there. No anesthesia or anything, just the convenience of the help.

He says it has worked in smaller doses for ordinary bladder control issues, and in larger doses for people with MS, so is pretty confident about it. So I thought I'd pass this along. Hey, if nothing else, I'll have a wrinkle free bladder!
    Last edited by Uppitycats; 01-20-2016 at 03:50 AM.

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Great! I am so happy for you.

My neuro is able to do Botox injections, I think I remember meeting someone who gets them in the neck? For movement problems caused by Parkinson's.

I have been reading and posting about it for quite a while. My bladder issues were out of control recently for six months.suddenly it got better when I started following directions for taking my meds on schedule and I am once again confident. I asked my neuro about the Botox for the issue and he gave me names of people to see. Urologists who are trained to do Botox injections...

Anyway, I hope it works for you. I see it as a lifeline for me! I think repeat injections every 6 months or so is standard. I am sure there are some cautionary words but, when you can not control your bladder....well, you know how it is.....

I hope this helps you ....
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

3. The following 9 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member BBS1951's Avatar

This is great news cat. One wonders about the state of medicine that it can take so long for someone to recall that there is a great treatment available! ....

5. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

That is GREAT news Cat. Having that whole issue solved with an injection would feel like a miracle! So happy for you!

7. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's hoping that Botox will be the answer!

Botox has been around for a while, and it does seem odd that it took so long for anyone to think of it for you. But I'm glad someone did--and if you can put up with severe bladder spasms for this long, maybe a 2-week wait won't be so bad....
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBS1951 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is great news cat. One wonders about the state of medicine that it can take so long for someone to recall that there is a great treatment available! ....
    Hello,
    As usual, I am thinking about the thousands of considerations our doctors must take before prescribing something new for us. If the Botox worked simply without any danger I would have tried it long ago. Just think of the aging actors you see on TV who have had Botox injections and now have what I call frozen faces.

I am sure it is not simple. Some people have bladder problems that might be helped by Botox. But not all people with bladder issues would be helped. What are the dangers and what are the risks of the injection going slightly to the left or to the right of where it is supposed to go? How do previous surgery scars interfere?

So many considerations....so many unintended consequences.....
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

11. The following 7 users say "thanks"

The risks for botox being used this way are an increased risk of bladder infections, and an increased risk of fluid retention. Antibiotics are given for 5 days at the time of injections, and if necessary, women are taught how to self Cath, which usually is not necessary for more than a week. As for missing the bladder, or dealing with scar tissue, doesn't seem possible, as they go in to the urethra to the inside of the bladder itself, injecting the inside, so no other organs are anywhere nearby. Since I already use a Foley catheter, retention wont be a problem, either.

No, not for everyone, but certainly an option to put in our arsenal of options, if we've tried a lot of meds without success. There are a lot more invasive things too, than botox, like an urostomy, or electrical stimulus implants.

13. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

go for it Cat,,,,

I tried Botox, for my bad leg,,it never worked,., neuro says he gets more people with migraines, then MS people taking Botox,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

15. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Pegakafarmgirl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    go for it Cat,,,,

I tried Botox, for my bad leg,,it never worked,., neuro says he gets more people with migraines, then MS people taking Botox,
    Peg, what did they expect botox to do well th your leg?

17. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Glad to hear there is help on the way. Maybe this will finally be the solution to that one problem. One at a time I guess.
    Virginia

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast