Thread: Please help me understand

Default Please help me understand

Hello!
    I am writing for help understanding my muscle biopsy. I feel very lost and helpless. For almost two years my muscles have been weak, tight, burning, painful. The worst part are my legs. My left one being the worst. I have severe fatigue. I also have it in arms but not as bad. I have had trouble swallowing, memory issues. I also keep stubbing my fingers... My index and middle fingers on both hands. I have tightness in my stomach muscles below my ribs. It almost feels like a charlie horse.

I got a muscle biopsy. The results read this... Muscle, left quadriceps, biopsy - Occasional muscle fibers with focal
    increased subsarcolemmal cytochrome oxidase, SDH, and NADH staining.
    - Rare angular atrophic esterase positive muscle fiber.

A rare angular atrophic esterase positive muscle fiber is observed. Occasional
    muscle fibers show focal increased subsarcolemmal staining on the NADH,
    cytochrome oxidase, and SDH stained sections.

However.... Histologic sections of skeletal muscle are examined. There is no evidence
    of inflammation, vasculitis, or granulomas. There is a mild normal
    variation in muscle fiber size present. There is no significant increase
    in endomysial fat or fibrous tissue. There is no evidence
    of perifascicular atrophy.

Can someone please help me understand what this means? The Neuro basically typed the results word for word but didn't explain in his note. Thank you for any suggestions, opinions or advice. I am tired of being in pain and just went through a muscle biopsy hoping for some answers that would help.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Crafty Lady)))))) ~

To Braintalk!

Unfortunately, I can't help you as I have no experience with muscle biopsies. Perhaps others in our forums do have that experience, but none of us are actually qualified to interpret test results.

Your neuro has a responsibility to you to explain your test results in terms, which you can understand, and answer your questions as to what the results mean and what treatments are available for your condition. If necessary, make an appointment with your neuro for the specific purpose of discussing your biopsy results. Make a list of your questions and take the list with you to that appointment, so that you don't forget anything. If you don't understand an explanation, be sure to say so, and press your neuro to clarify, until you do understand.

What other tests have you had to diagnose your condition? Have certain conditions been ruled out?

Sending healing, positive energy your way that you find answers and relief ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"