Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy New Year!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool

((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))) ~

funnylegs4 ~

An addiction to Field Roast is a good thing! Packed with protein! And quite filling. I'm happy you're all enjoying it.

I think a sensitivity to fluorescent lighting is not uncommon among persons, who have brain injury or epilepsy. Michael was photosensitive, to both indoor lighting and sunlight.

Diabetes is a malicious disease and carries with it many terrible consequences. My mother, who had diabetes, died of renal failure. Our dear neighbor was on dialysis for a few years, until he told his family he didn't want to go through it any longer. He also died of renal failure. Heart disease is typical. It can be quite debilitating, so it should be classified as a disability.

I would think that a stroke might affect the system, such that a person with diabetes might experience a metabolic change after a stroke. I don't know, obviously. I'm just speculating. The brain controls everything, so if it malfunctions, the body malfunctions.

Your teacher's facial swelling might be caused by any number of things, so try not to worry about the worst case scenario.

That's wonderful that he is staying in touch with you and that he is happy and feeling stronger. Hold on to that as you begin the New Year!

MIKE ~

Hello there Stranger!!! So great to see you here! How is college treating you these days? Thanks for everything you do for us. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Mary Grace ~

Here's what I found today for the Rose Parade (No full length videos that I could find, but highlights):

Rose Parade Highlights:

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/life...deo-highlights

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...16+Rose+Parade

Disney Float Up Close:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...16+Rose+Parade

I hope you find a full coverage video. I've been watching the Rose Parade for 60 odd years (and some were quite odd, actually ), and I can't remember a more stunning presentation than this year's floats. And when you see them up close, you realize the meticulous work involved in creating them ~ every seed, nut, petal, so carefully put in place. By volunteers! And the hangar where the floats are made is very cold, to keep the flowers fresh. So, bless those volunteers!

Here's to a Healthy Happy New Year For ALL!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

funnylegs4 ~

An addiction to Field Roast is a good thing! Packed with protein! And quite filling. I'm happy you're all enjoying it.

I think a sensitivity to fluorescent lighting is not uncommon among persons, who have brain injury or epilepsy. Michael was photosensitive, to both indoor lighting and sunlight.

Diabetes is a malicious disease and carries with it many terrible consequences. My mother, who had diabetes, died of renal failure. Our dear neighbor was on dialysis for a few years, until he told his family he didn't want to go through it any longer. He also died of renal failure. Heart disease is typical. It can be quite debilitating, so it should be classified as a disability.

I would think that a stroke might affect the system, such that a person with diabetes might experience a metabolic change after a stroke. I don't know, obviously. I'm just speculating. The brain controls everything, so if it malfunctions, the body malfunctions.

Your teacher's facial swelling might be caused by any number of things, so try not to worry about the worst case scenario.

That's wonderful that he is staying in touch with you and that he is happy and feeling stronger. Hold on to that as you begin the New Year!
    Thanks Rose! LOL indeed. I have no problem with an addiction to Field Roast! I'm so so sorry about your mother and your neighbor! That's awful! So sad! Judging from my reading it seems like the disease slowly destroys the body from the inside. Before I met my teacher my only references for diabetes were movies like "Steel Magnolias"(also my only understanding of renal failure comes from this) "Panic Room" and "Dog Day Afternoon". When my teacher said he had diabetes I thought of those movies and wondered "Has he ever had diabetes related episodes like that? All I know is it has to do with blood sugar" I met a girl who had diabetes and Autism once and I remember my employer telling me not to let her eat like the other children in the room. I did not understand but assumed it had to do with diabetes. Then there was the time when I did a sort of commissioned story about somebody in renal failure. Looking back, I think the person I was supposed to be writing about was diabetic, though it was not mentioned to me at the time.
    Yeah the light sensitivity is the brain damage in my opinion too. It's kind of sensory processing disorder in the brain…I think. As to the teacher's swelling, I think your right. It's probably not that bad. My guess is he has an allergy like Kevin Sorbo or his body is swelling in response to the shock of the stroke and lingering effects of the stroke. Basically the way my docs explained it to me years ago is that when the body experiences any sort of injury including brain injury it will make a swelling response to try to heal in one way or another. A lot of times this swelling becomes chronic and you can use diet to offset this. Sugar in the blood also causes swelling with or without diabetes so it could be multi layered. I'm just glad my teacher is alive and getting better. I pray his diabetes does not cause him an early death. On a side note I think diabetics should make preparedness plans for natural disasters. I wouldn't want people like my teacher to die in hurricanes etc just because they didn't stockpile supplies etc. Sorry, me being morbid again! But I know you understand this type of concern with Jon as I do having gone through a hurricane.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-04-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

4. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Diabetes can be different for everyone, while having many things in common. It also depends a great deal on how well controlled the disease is and that depends often upon the person's eating habits.

My mother had insulin shots daily. Then she consumed cookies, pie, cake, donuts, etc. I was a kid/teenager, begging her not to eat sweets, and she said, "I'll take my chances." She became addicted to hydrocodone, which she took for excruciating leg pain. The Tylenol in the hydrocodone contributed to her kidney failure. Renal failure began, and at 64, she died after 14 horrible, painful, dreadful days of misery. She told me that her fingernails and hair follicles hurt, and while she was filled with fluid, she was thirsty.

My neighbor was 75, when he passed after years of dialysis and the amputation of a portion of his foot. Like my mother, he chose to continue to eat sweets, as his condition worsened.

My uncle, my mom's brother, was diagnosed with diabetes, and his doctor wanted to put him on oral insulin. My uncle refused. He decided to change his diet and start exercising more. He is 73 and still healthy and has no need for insulin.

One of my dear friends, and former coworkers when we were in our 20s, has diabetes. She used to crunch on carrots at her desk, because the Vitamin A in carrots is beneficial to vision. She was careful about her diet, and she exercised. Now, in her 60s, she is healthy and active.

Your teacher, like the majority of people, who have diabetes, is probably very diligent about his medication, and has an emergency supply on hand. I suppose you could mention it to him, if you're concerned.

Everyone should be prepared for a disaster. Jim follows the weather across the nation and the world, because weather has always fascinated him. So, we know all about the floods, the tornadoes, the unseasonable weather, and of course, El Nino, which will be pouring its rain on us this week. Finally, we truly need it. We (and millions of other people) live on a fault line. We found out last year just how alarming a quake can be, when you're sitting on top of the epicenter.

Anyone, who takes medication, should have an emergency supply "just in case." And everyone, regardless of health or condition, should have a plan and supplies for a disaster. We didn't think it would happen to us ... until it did.

Now ... are you back in classes again after the holidays? Hope that all goes well for you and your teacher, family and friends ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

6. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Diabetes can be different for everyone, while having many things in common. It also depends a great deal on how well controlled the disease is and that depends often upon the person's eating habits.

My mother had insulin shots daily. Then she consumed cookies, pie, cake, donuts, etc. I was a kid/teenager, begging her not to eat sweets, and she said, "I'll take my chances." She became addicted to hydrocodone, which she took for excruciating leg pain. The Tylenol in the hydrocodone contributed to her kidney failure. Renal failure began, and at 64, she died after 14 horrible, painful, dreadful days of misery. She told me that her fingernails and hair follicles hurt, and while she was filled with fluid, she was thirsty.

My neighbor was 75, when he passed after years of dialysis and the amputation of a portion of his foot. Like my mother, he chose to continue to eat sweets, as his condition worsened.

My uncle, my mom's brother, was diagnosed with diabetes, and his doctor wanted to put him on oral insulin. My uncle refused. He decided to change his diet and start exercising more. He is 73 and still healthy and has no need for insulin.

One of my dear friends, and former coworkers when we were in our 20s, has diabetes. She used to crunch on carrots at her desk, because the Vitamin A in carrots is beneficial to vision. She was careful about her diet, and she exercised. Now, in her 60s, she is healthy and active.

Your teacher, like the majority of people, who have diabetes, is probably very diligent about his medication, and has an emergency supply on hand. I suppose you could mention it to him, if you're concerned.

Everyone should be prepared for a disaster. Jim follows the weather across the nation and the world, because weather has always fascinated him. So, we know all about the floods, the tornadoes, the unseasonable weather, and of course, El Nino, which will be pouring its rain on us this week. Finally, we truly need it. We (and millions of other people) live on a fault line. We found out last year just how alarming a quake can be, when you're sitting on top of the epicenter.

Anyone, who takes medication, should have an emergency supply "just in case." And everyone, regardless of health or condition, should have a plan and supplies for a disaster. We didn't think it would happen to us ... until it did.

Now ... are you back in classes again after the holidays? Hope that all goes well for you and your teacher, family and friends ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Yes but the teaching is rotated every few months so unfortunately, it's not with him :( Such a pity! :( Long story. He has since taken that other job he had his heart set on and so far he doesn't seem to have had any ill effects from the new responsibility…so far as I know. I hoped he told his new employer about the stroke so they don't freak if he has a dizzy spell. He's a bit chubby but the only "unhealthy" thing I have seen him eat/drink is coffee. He dropped the coffee cup which is how I remember it. I was like "Whoa, you okay?!" Luckily it didn't land on him or burn him. I didn't think diabetics could drink coffee to be honest. Is that bad? Is he supposed to be doing that?? LOL.
    I'm so sorry your mother was in such pain! Watching my teacher suffer through his spells was bad enough so I can only imagine what you went through! You were totally right to tell your mother and neighbor not to eat sugar! I keep my sweets intake to a minimum. I also do not drink. Figures they were so stubborn. So sad. I'm so happy your brother is doing well. He has type 2 I'm guessing?? My teacher is very responsible(that's how I knew he was in trouble when he disappeared on us so I messaged him and he told me he was in the hospital with a stroke) so I'm pretty sure he's fine, but in general I don't think people consider natural disasters and preparedness enough.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-04-2016 at 07:47 PM.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

8. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

MIKE ~

Hello there Stranger!!! So great to see you here! How is college treating you these days? Thanks for everything you do for us. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Here's to a Healthy Happy New Year For ALL!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Hi Rose :)

I have completed all of the required courses for my A.S. in Business Admin with a concentration in computer studies degree Now I must wait until May to get the actual degree and "graduate" :(

I'm taking this semester off while I figure out what I want to do. There are a couple of awesome opportunities that might come up shortly, so I'm kind of in limbo until those pan out
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

10. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weins View Post
    Hi Rose :)

I have completed all of the required courses for my A.S. in Business Admin with a concentration in computer studies degree Now I must wait until May to get the actual degree and "graduate" :(

I'm taking this semester off while I figure out what I want to do. There are a couple of awesome opportunities that might come up shortly, so I'm kind of in limbo until those pan out
    Congratulations! That's wonderful! I think it is a good idea to take a year off. It will give you proper time to think it over. You chose a good degree that should give you a lot of options. Happy New Year! Thanks for keeping this forum here for so long!
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-05-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

funnylegs 4 ~

Wishing your teacher all the best in his new endeavor. A new job is a lot to take on at any time, but following a major neurological event, like a stroke, makes it even more challenging. May it be all that he hopes it to be and bring him happiness.

I'm not sure whether coffee is ill-advised for people with diabetes. I can't imagine why it would be, as long as there is no sugar or honey in it. In moderation, coffee actually has some health benefits. I think caffeine can help people with migraines and seizures, as I recall.

You are absolutely right ~ most people are not prepared for a disaster. We've been watching the news about the flooding and mudslides from our rain today. It was constant and moderate to heavy from about 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. All of the burn areas were under flood watch. Solimar Beach just had a fire last week, and the mudslides/flooding there was significant. We have a family friend, 88, who lives there.

Most of the folks living in the burn areas started stacking sandbags yesterday. I feel so sorry for them, because they've endured a terrible fire, and now they have to fear losing their homes to mud or flood. It's going to be like that here for awhile, since El Nino has officially started.

Hope all goes well for you for the remainder of the school year.

Mike ~

Congratulations on achieving your goal and getting your AS in Business Administration! That's just fantastic! May will be here before you know it.

In the meantime, having a couple of awesome opportunities before you is really wonderful. And taking some time off to consider all possibilities is an excellent idea.

Keep us updated, please!

You know we all love you Mike!

Love & Light,

Rose

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12